Make a donation

Author Topic: Depreciation, here we come!!! - Mines A Green one please...  (Read 23583 times)

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Depreciation, here we come!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
I was a bit wary that the dealers claims of the first batch being snapped up where the usual bluster, but reading various forums etc. it would seem there is quite a wait to be had as Ford is building less in the first run than was originally anticipated.  I'm really impatient too, but i'm using the delay as a chance to save up a bit so as I have to use less finance.  I own the ED 30 outright so not too far off....

The MPG doesnt worry me, wife has a company car so any lengthy runs are done in it as she gets free fuel.  I spend very little on fuel as I don't do mega mileage so the drop wont have a huge impact.  I hope......

Im expecting the MPG to make an r32 look frugal....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:35:15 pm by DavyP »
The world we live in and life in general.....

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:39:02 pm »
Do you have any bits from the ed30 that you may sell ?

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 03:51:57 pm »
Davy P  great choice, the Focus RS is the Hot Hatch to have ! reading the 37 page press release on it and it seems Ford are out for blood !

It sounds brutal too ! amazing car ! let us know when you get it !

what does the luxury pack contain ?

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 03:54:35 pm »
Do you have any bits from the ed30 that you may sell ?

Just the Evoms intake, its barely a month old.....

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »
Davy P  great choice, the Focus RS is the Hot Hatch to have ! reading the 37 page press release on it and it seems Ford are out for blood !

It sounds brutal too ! amazing car ! let us know when you get it !

what does the luxury pack contain ?

Parking Sensors, Rain sensors, Automatic lights, key free system,  deflation detection system, DEATC air conditioning (i dont know what it is either!) a few other minor things.   Its a £750 option pack, pricey but adds a few things for the lazy driver.  Sat Nav is an additional £750 on top of this.

Heres the press release for those with time to kill.....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/full_press_release_new_ford_focus_rs.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:17:23 pm by DavyP »

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 08:26:24 pm »
300 bhp and 440nm straight out the box with lsd, big brakes and what looks like a top notch suspension set up for 25k

Make you wonder what just a Stage 1 remap will produce  :grin: :drool: :evilgrin:
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 08:31:21 pm »
300 bhp and 440nm straight out the box with lsd, big brakes and what looks like a top notch suspension set up for 25k

Make you wonder what just a Stage 1 remap will produce  :grin: :drool: :evilgrin:

Thats what im really interested in.. Im really intrigued to know if there is going to be a lot of headroom in the tubo etc? So will the re-map for the RS get you any more power than a re-mapped ST??
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:56 pm »
From the youtube clip,  I presume the RS will be on 5th Gear on Monday .... I'll be interested in what Plato says about the RevoKnuckle Technology and how good it really is  .... they make a big play about it in the press release  :-

Quote :

According to John Wheeler, the importance of RevoKnuckle to Focus RS cannot be underestimated:

“All-wheel-drive or rear-wheel-drive have long been default options for managing torque in a high-performance vehicle.  We used AWD on RS models in the 80s and 90s, but it creates significant compromises in weight, fuel economy and the cost/ performance balance.  Through combined efforts of our Research and Dynamics teams, we have created a solution that simply redefines what is possible with front-wheel-drive,” he says.

Summarising the benefits of RevoKnuckle, Densing says: “RevoKnuckle gives the adjustability of a race-car style, double wishbone suspension, in a cost-effective McPherson architecture.”
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:43:13 pm by JonnyG »
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:40 pm »

not alot imo, as isnt it basically a remapped ST ? (maybe a new turbo too though, even then the ST boys with big turbos only ran at about 340)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:57:24 pm by 182_blue »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 08:56:53 pm »
I'm gonna stick my neck out here... if the RS's handling/grip is as good as they're making out, then the R20T better be light to try and keep up.

You might not like the image, but there could be a quantum leap here. I hope the motor isn't just a remapped ST one to save costs.
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 09:00:22 pm »
From the youtube clip,  I presume the RS will be on 5th Gear on Monday .... I'll be interested in what Tiff (?) says about the RevoKnuckle Technology and how good it really is  .... they make a big play about it in the press release  :-

Quote :

According to John Wheeler, the importance of RevoKnuckle to Focus RS cannot be underestimated:

“All-wheel-drive or rear-wheel-drive have long been default options for managing torque in a high-performance vehicle.  We used AWD on RS models in the 80s and 90s, but it creates significant compromises in weight, fuel economy and the cost/ performance balance.  Through combined efforts of our Research and Dynamics teams, we have created a solution that simply redefines what is possible with front-wheel-drive,” he says.

Summarising the benefits of RevoKnuckle, Densing says: “RevoKnuckle gives the adjustability of a race-car style, double wishbone suspension, in a cost-effective McPherson architecture.”

An ST is good for around 300hp with intake, exhaust and a map etc so it will be interesting to see if the RS has the same potential 75hp increase available from similar mods, which would make it no more potent than a similarly modded ED30..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 11:22:12 pm »

Very, very nice vid/soundclip.

Imagine what it would sound like on a Milltek or similar exhaust!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 08:55:50 am »

not alot imo, as isnt it basically a remapped ST ? (maybe a new turbo too though, even then the ST boys with big turbos only ran at about 340)

if you watch the video on fords website, the chap states its got a bigger turbo and all new engine internals to cope with the power - it is not just a simple remap.

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:42 am »

It's hugely different to the ST engine. Totally new block made from a new material. The problem with the ST engine is that it's just a bored out 2.3T Volvo engine and not the T5 one as is commonly assumed. By boring it out, they massively weakened the cylinder walls meaning they go pop when you start turning up the turbo. You can not safely or reliably go above about 320 at the moment. I come from a Focus forum where there have already been a few unfortunate incidents and dubious warranty claims. I'm not disputing that you can't get 340 from an ST 5pot, but you're running on borrowed time. Apparently the RS engine is much stronger, so perhaps it does stand a chance of keeping up with jonny's ED30...
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:19 pm »
i doubt they made a new block for the RS so it must be borrowed from another model (poss Volvo), any ideas where its from