Make a donation

Author Topic: Nankang Snow SV-2 - First Impressions  (Read 74743 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Nankang Snow SV-2 - First Impressions
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 02:08:01 pm »
Where did you order from? I'm looking at Wintrac Xtremes from mytyres.co.uk

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 03:17:52 pm »

Just ordered them from mytyres - they seem to have a pretty good range at good prices at the moment.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »
Better be good - I've just ordered a set for both my own car and the wife's.  Getting ready early this year ...

BRING ON THE SNOW  :party:

Cool, it will be good to know what you think of them!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 07:10:51 pm »

Ran these through the worst last winter threw at us, they were brilliant. And the bonus is there's stacks of tread so they'll be good for a few more yet.

Worth it just to see the face of the bloke digging his RAV4 out of a foot of snow in the supermarket car park when I just jumped in to the GTI & cleared off. Priceless :grin:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:40 pm »
Just ordered a set of these in 235/45 R17 97V Flavour - was a bit apprehensive at first but glad to read andrews conclusion review.

Hopefully once they get fitted they will be up to the job!

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »
Just ordered a set of these in 235/45 R17 97V Flavour - was a bit apprehensive at first but glad to read andrews conclusion review.

Is 235 a typo? won't you have some issues with rubbing?

I thought most people try and go down a size when using winter/cold weather tyres?

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2011, 06:53:35 pm »
OK just fitted these to the car today so thought I'd give my first impressions after a 6 mile hoon round the county roads where I live.

In reading this you must bear in mind that its a balmy 14 deg here today (so well outwith the optimal temperature range for these tyres) and that they are fresh out of the packet with no bedding in at all.

On pulling out of my street it was clear that these have a slightly vauge feeling compared to the PS3's I've just taken off and that they seem to give a slightly softer ride (still extra load rated).  They are also much quieter which surprised me.  Given the temperature and the fact they're brand new I was pretty gentle to start off with but although the feeling isn't quite as confidence inspiring there was no hint of oversteer as I built up the speed.

To test out their traction when applying the beans I sat in second with the revs sitting at 2.5k for a couple of seconds then floored it.  No drama whatsoever, no traction control kicking in, no pull in any direction other than straight ahead.  There was a split second of squirrely feel about the steering but it was blink and you miss it.

By now my confidence with these things was increasing so I was chucking it more and more enthusiastically into corners and using the accelerator with gusto.  Much more spirited driving than I do on a day to day basis.  Again absolutely no drama, although they don't 'feel' as planted as the michelins the car went exactly where I wanted with no understeer or any hint the back wanted to do anything untowards. 

The only significant adverse behavior I noticed was that I felt braking wasn't as sharp as it had been with the michelins from high speed.  I expect this to get better as the tyres bed in and the temperature drops. 

Based on this first impression, especially considering the temperature it is today, I'm delighted that I bought these tyres and look forward to seeing what they can do when the real winter weather gets here.

Like Andrew has done I intend to update this as time goes on. 
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »
:happy2:

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2011, 11:42:38 pm »

I thought most people try and go down a size when using winter/cold weather tyres?

No Typo mate! For the misses A4 Avant. 235 is the OEM size. I looked at fitting 225's on it for the winter but i couldnt get them with a 97 load rating so had to stick with the OEM 235's  :happy2:

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2011, 11:28:23 am »

No Typo mate! For the misses A4 Avant. 235 is the OEM size. I looked at fitting 225's on it for the winter but i couldnt get them with a 97 load rating so had to stick with the OEM 235's  :happy2:

I see......my A4 avant (05) runs on 235/40/18 95Y, I spoke with Audi about running 225/45/17 94V XL winter tyres and they said that these were acceptable as they are winter tyres

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:05:41 pm by Eccie »

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline John GT140

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »
if you are thinking snow tyres buy them sooner rather than later . i ordered 2 weeks ago and just checked my tyres .co .uk and they have gone up in price by £11 per tyre

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2011, 07:00:30 pm »
^ Supply and demand John.

It must be peak winter tyre purchasing season now?  :party:
I think I've missed out for any good prices too.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline tonto83

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2011, 07:31:06 pm »
I've a set of the these sv2's sitting in my shed since September! I haven't fitted them yet as the weather hasn't dropped below 10 degrees yet. I'd say the next few weeks I'll get them on. That's great to hear that even at this temp they ain't bad! The mechanic I use had them on his s4 last year and said they were fantastic! Looking forward to trying them out in some snow now  :laugh:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2011, 09:00:29 pm »
Gah! Ordered my vredestein wintrac xtremes two weeks ago and they've still not arrived! I'm concerned they'll never arrive, cancel the order and I'll have to go elsewhere and pay more. Meanwhile my sister's winter tyres (from a different company) arrived three working days after ordering.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2011, 09:13:48 pm »
Gah! Ordered my vredestein wintrac xtremes two weeks ago and they've still not arrived! I'm concerned they'll never arrive, cancel the order and I'll have to go elsewhere and pay more. Meanwhile my sister's winter tyres (from a different company) arrived three working days after ordering.

Was that with clickontyres? I was looking for normal tyres on the site and notice that they are advertising M&S tyres for pre-order, so maybe they're not in stock yet? Although it'd be bad if you weren't advised of that when ordering.

Might be worth ringing the bloke up if you're concerned, if you haven't already done so.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)