Make a donation

Author Topic: Car washing this time of year  (Read 4138 times)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Car washing this time of year
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »
Haven't been able to wash the car this week, due to not wanting an Ice rink on the drive or in the road.  I do about 300 miles a week so it gets quite bad with all the grit n salt etc.   I think it will have to have a Jet wash somewhere soon (no brush or sponge though).

How have you guys been gettin' on washing wise ?
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Re: Car washing this time of year
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:49:58 pm »
I wanted to ask this too, is it best just to karcher it down? That's it?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:57:47 pm »
Hopefully someone will move this to the Detailing section. In short, it's better to wash the car in a jetwash place, making sure nothing but water touches it. No scrubbing brushes etc.

If you create a hazard, you could well be held responsible for any mishaps that occur thereafter eg little old lady slips on the frozen water and cracks her head open.

Alternatively, if the car is well protected with sealant and waxel, youcould use something like Optimum No Rinse, which uses a couple of buckets of water and a sponge (shock horror!) but is safe to use on paintwork without risk of marring.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ifcc54mqkiusqtufvou3jdlj6u&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:59:35 pm »
I washed the front of my car yesterday, below freezeing  :stupid:... washed with AG... rinsed...dried... AG polished.... AG EPG! Water was frozen on the splitter whilst i was drying it!  :surprised:

Offline Eddy30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:04 pm »
^^
agreed,I managed to get a couple of layers of collinite on it so will just be jet washing it at a local garage and the underside,seems to cone up well don't know what shampoo they use but it's great

Offline Drapoon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:15:19 pm »
In adverse weather such as this I take my two buckets 1/2 filled with water (drive steady!), drying towel, quick detailer & apc & do my usual wash process but very speedily at the local jetwash! I get there proper early so that I don't cause disruption/ annoyance to any other customers

The only problem with this is it's social suicide - I get a few "sad git" comments muttered in my direction :ashamed:

Oh well my cars cleared of salt so I couldn't really care what others think :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:44:58 pm »
I washed the front of my car yesterday, below freezeing  :stupid:... washed with AG... rinsed...dried... AG polished.... AG EPG! Water was frozen on the splitter whilst i was drying it!  :surprised:

Now that's what I call dedicated!

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 07:33:37 am »
Hopefully someone will move this to the Detailing section. In short, it's better to wash the car in a jetwash place, making sure nothing but water touches it. No scrubbing brushes etc.

If you create a hazard, you could well be held responsible for any mishaps that occur thereafter eg little old lady slips on the frozen water and cracks her head open. Alternatively, if the car is well protected with sealant and waxel, youcould use something like Optimum No Rinse, which uses a couple of buckets of water and a sponge (shock horror!) but is safe to use on paintwork without risk of marring.

least you always look on the bright side stealth  :signLOL:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:35 am »
I think it's a fairly valid point though. A guy on our road always defrosts his car with buckets of warm water. The water freezes the moment it hits the ground creating sheets of ice. I think he's totally oblivious to the danger it's causing.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:43:32 am »
I can only see 10% of the body work on mine so it aint getting dirty or cleaned, but I would definately be going to a jetwash place, spray on some soap let it sit for half a minute then jet off.  What I really need is an insulated wet room garage with drain in the middle some heating, so I can clean and detail my car inside I will know I have made it when I have that!  :stupid:

The guy with the bucket of water sounds like a complete tool, its amazing how selfish and stupid people can be!  :fighting:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »
What I really need is an insulated wet room garage with drain in the middle some heating
I think that's what 90% of us wish for.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 02:26:01 pm »
least you always look on the bright side stealth
I'm still in a foul mood over multiplayer problems in Black Ops.  :fighting:

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 04:58:41 pm »
Just to continue on with this 'issue'......and possibly move this to the Detailing Section if required mods.

I have Auto Glym'd about 3 weeks back just with Super Resin Polish, nothing else.  Is the paintwork safe for a good few weeks without regular washing etc ?
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »
Did you protect with a sealant or wax?

SRP is a polish, and has fillers but I don't recall it having any protective value.

I have two layers of sealant and a layer of wax to protect the paintwork.

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 07:06:31 pm »
Did you protect with a sealant or wax?

SRP is a polish, and has fillers but I don't recall it having any protective value.

I have two layers of sealant and a layer of wax to protect the paintwork.

No mate, I didnt have time to do anything else after polishing.  Web quote for Super Resin Polish :

Internationally acclaimed, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the ultimate easy to use combination cleaner, polish and sealant. Ideal for all types and colours of new or moderately deteriorated vehicle paintwork, including metallic, clearcoat and waterbased paint finishes.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish contains low molecular weight resins which provide exceptional cosmetic effect and protection from most environmental hazards