Make a donation

Author Topic: Car wont start in the cold....... which sensor??  (Read 8965 times)

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Car wont start in the cold....... which sensor??
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:35:55 am »
also posted on r32oc but i wanted a reply within the next 6 months so il post on here aswell. its not mk5 related but is r32 related.  :rolleye:

My car wont start in the cold, the ignition just keeps turning over and over and the engine doesnt start. also when i do finaly get it started it idles at 900rpm, and not 1100-1200rpm as it should on a cold start, its like theres no choke??  :confused:

anybody got any ideas whats up?? is it a faulty sensor somewhere??

i dont have VCDS so cant do a fault check, but it was checked 2 weeks ago and no faults were thrown up.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Car wont start in the cold....... which sensor??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:40:49 am »
Sounds like the lazy ass V6 can't be arsed to get up today mate..  :signLOL: Can't say I blame it...

I'm not much help I know  :ashamed:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:46:31 am »
Sounds like the lazy ass V6 can't be arsed to get up today mate..  :signLOL: Can't say I blame it...

:P :P

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:53:28 am »
Couple of people have had lazy idel on cold start on TFSI Joe, there was talk of changing temperature sender unit on the engine (apparently two, one also on the rad) it was in a thread about temperature guage stopping half way up rather than smoothly till 90.

Not sure if that will help but its a £9 part plus some coolant top up  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:32 am »
Couple of people have had lazy idel on cold start on TFSI Joe, there was talk of changing temperature sender unit on the engine (apparently two, one also on the rad) it was in a thread about temperature guage stopping half way up rather than smoothly till 90.

Not sure if that will help but its a £9 part plus some coolant top up  :happy2:

cheers for that, somebody on r32oc said it may be the engine temp sensor aswell, so i think that will be my first port of call.  :smiley:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:01:41 am »

Don't listen to the big scary man Joe, he's just jealous.  :wink:

Good luck.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 11:05:47 am »
One of your Coil-packs.................

Too many for my liking!

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:20 am »
One of your Coil-packs.................

Too many for my liking!

theres no difference in performance at all. when a coilpack went on my gti, it was spluttering an engine light flashing.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:47 am »
mk4 - b 059 919 501 A - 4 pin Green

mk5 - b 06A 919 501 A - 2 pin Black

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »
Could be the secondary air pump relay...this is what make the high idle on start up so if its not doing what it should then I would get this taken off and looked at or replaced.

Function of Secondary Air Pump
The secondary air system blows air in behind the exhaust valve for max. 65 seconds after a cold start (+15 °C ... +35 °C coolant temperature). This produces an oxygen-rich exhaust gas, causing after-burning and reducing the heat-up phase of the catalytic converter. The Motronic control unit -J220- activates the secondary air inlet valve -N112- and combination valve via the secondary air pump relay -J299-. Additionally, after each subsequent engine start (up to max. 85 °C engine temperature), the secondary air system will, after a 20-second delay, switch in for 5 seconds during idling and will be checked by the self-diagnosis.

This is where the relay is

Darren

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:24 am »
Could be the secondary air pump relay...this is what make the high idle on start up so if its not doing what it should then I would get this taken off and looked at or replaced.

Function of Secondary Air Pump
The secondary air system blows air in behind the exhaust valve for max. 65 seconds after a cold start (+15 °C ... +35 °C coolant temperature). This produces an oxygen-rich exhaust gas, causing after-burning and reducing the heat-up phase of the catalytic converter. The Motronic control unit -J220- activates the secondary air inlet valve -N112- and combination valve via the secondary air pump relay -J299-. Additionally, after each subsequent engine start (up to max. 85 °C engine temperature), the secondary air system will, after a 20-second delay, switch in for 5 seconds during idling and will be checked by the self-diagnosis.

This is where the relay is

Darren

cheers for that darren  :happy2: il check that now aswell, are there any signs of failure? is it the bit in the pic with 100 writen on it?

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 01:07:12 pm »
Yes Joe thats the relay if you take it out and it doesn't make a difference I would say its that? I cannot see any fault finding pages on Elsawin but I would also check the fuel injection relay aswell has that could be on its way out and would cause bad starting problems, once started it shouldn't make a difference with performance so check that then it will be down to any blown fuses.

Darren

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 01:33:30 pm »
ive found it but the one with 100 writen on it is in the one next to it??

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 03:14:43 pm »
ive found it but the one with 100 writen on it is in the one next to it??

Been put back in the wrong slot by previous owner? please dont move it over because ive said that I dont want responsibility for blowing your car up!  :scared:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 05:09:25 pm »
Has Rich said it could have been put in the wrong place but if there is any other relays round it it could be that there is other options on the car that place the 100 relay in the place it is.

While we have this cold weather put your hand on top of the relay and get some one to turn the golf over,  once its started keep your hand on it and you should feel it click.

Darren