Make a donation

Author Topic: exhaust light on ?  (Read 2896 times)

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
exhaust light on ?
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:03:02 pm »
 Amber Exhaust light came on yesterday on my golf gti, have searched this and other forums but get different answers, the car is driving fine and the engine sounds smooth, might be due to me brimming the tank with v power yesterday, the fuel cap is on tight, have ordered vagcom, getting it tomorrow, hope this will diagnose it for me, any one on here had this problem, thanks in advance

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
Re: exhaust light on ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:05:47 pm »
mine did the same mate the day I took it to the garage the mechanic started her up and it immediately went out... the only thing I can think was poor petrol... even though it was a premium that I used, never been back to the garage and it’s been fine... touch wood...

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:22:39 pm »
mine did the same mate the day I took it to the garage the mechanic started her up and it immediately went out... the only thing I can think was poor petrol... even though it was a premium that I used, never been back to the garage and it’s been fine... touch wood...
, im hopping it is nothing expensive lol, did the garage clear the foult light for you and it never came back, or did it just go away on its own, thanks

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 05:46:20 pm »
This can mean there is a fault with the oxygen sensor in the exhaust. A specific VCDS scan should bring up a fault code to prove/deny this
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline SteveS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:00:11 pm »
if this is what i think, the oil can looking icon i think? then believe mine was down to miss fire after remap and driving hard

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 07:27:50 pm »

Certain faults will disappear after a certain number of key cycles, so the fault is still stored or there but the light will go. Ideally you should get it scanned as it can appear for plenty of reasons. :smiley:

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »
did have it scanned and the only fault that came up was

01089 Tensioning Bow Raised Position Switch -F204

Guy in the garage had not come across the fault before but said it wasnt connected to the exhaust light... from what little there is on the web I can only find connections with a convertable top of which I dont have any ideas?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 11:33:08 pm »
Did he use VCDS or something a little more generic?

Your code on Ross Tech potentially gives this:- http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16825/P0441/001089

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 11:42:56 pm »
I'd have to ask him what he used...

sorry but I'm not mechanically minded and unsure what the info on the linked site means however I have noticed a drop in power and I'm taking the car over at the weekend  to the garage could this be linked to the error you have just found?

ps. thanks for the help... I'm a newbie to VW's... well cars in general after living in the centre of london for 12 years it took the arrival of our little one to realise we need a car... always wanted a GTI and thats what we ended up getting.

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:48:31 am »
Did he use VCDS or something a little more generic?

Your code on Ross Tech potentially gives this:- http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16825/P0441/001089
orderd vcds yesterday, should be here today by 1pm, wil do a scan and post my findings, thanks for all the advice

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »
just to update, vcsd never arrived as promiseds, should get them tomorow, any way decided to remove exhaust lamba sensor and give it a clean, replaced it and the light as gone out, just hope it stays out.  :smiley:

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:35:55 pm »
Quick update guys... Took her back to my local indi garage but wasnt something he could help with so in to VW she went... £29 for a diagnostic leading to a loose air intake hose... they fixed it back no further charge, light and error is clear and she is running sweet :happy2:

thanks for all the info guys....