Make a donation

Author Topic: Is it just me or does the Mk5 look better than the Mk6??  (Read 6135 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Is it just me or does the Mk5 look better than the Mk6??
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:56:15 pm »
Two things which is think make the Mk6 look worse are 1.) the rear light clusters, they dont look that good imo 2.) I prefer the twin exhaust pipes to be together on the left and not one exhaust pipe at either side.

Still i think the car looks better at the front ie the grille and the monza shadows are pretty cool.

Plus is the interior nicer also not actually been in one yet...

Anyone looking to trade up to a mk 6 or are we all hanging on for dear life to the mk5?  :pomppomp:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Is it just me or does the Mk5 look better than the Mk6??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »
Hanging on to my Mk5. The Audi RS3 is the only one to tempt me.

There's lots of styling aspects which I actively dislike about the Mk6 GTI both outside and inside - It's a long list. I much prefer the Golf R. That's not to say that the Mk6 isn't a good car and many of the mechanical differences will be improvements but even after test driving it I wouldn't even begin to consider it as a replacement. I find it disappointing and wonder what the Mk7 will be like.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:26:57 pm »
I agree completely about the back of the car -- it just looks too "fussy" for my liking, which is really not helped by the lights.  That said, I think they're fitting the "L"-design lights on the MK6 GTI's now (as is standard fit on the Golf R) which do look better.

The problem I have with the exhausts on the MK6 is how far they stick out in addition to their position, which for some reason makes me think of a wheelbarrow.  :confused:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:24:54 pm »
I agree completely about the back of the car -- it just looks too "fussy" for my liking, which is really not helped by the lights.  That said, I think they're fitting the "L"-design lights on the MK6 GTI's now (as is standard fit on the Golf R) which do look better.

The problem I have with the exhausts on the MK6 is how far they stick out in addition to their position, which for some reason makes me think of a wheelbarrow.  :confused:

ha ha my thoughts exactly chaps. I was looking at a candy white one last night in car park and i was thinking " i should be looking at that thinking i would trade mine for that" but instead i was thinking what you have reiterated above. would defo trade up for an R or an S3 sportback but otherwise yeah lets see what the MK7 is like!

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:39:52 pm »
Have to agree I do prefer the Mk5 over the mk6, i also find the starting cost to steep comparied to the old model.  Although i am considering a trade in next year when mine hits 3 years.

I do prefer the interior of the Mk6 though it looks alot classier.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fitj1ln8lf6hcsfr0s1cj1g0o&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »
I love my mk5.... perfectly subtle!  :love:

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »
I like the exhaust on the Mk6, and the new LED lights on the back really finish the back end off.

To me a sporty car indicates it's sportyness with it's exhausts and the Mk5 only got two on the side which many cars have. However I definitely prefer the front of the Mk5 with the large grill.

Offline smokeybubbles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:17:59 pm »
i have to say i think the mk6 is a better car.  I prefer the looks, the interior is better quality and the car is a lot more refined.  The downside is i can't afford one, but if someone offered me a straight swap for my mk5 i'd snap their hands off in a shot.  Although looks are subjective, and if we all liked the same thing the world would be a very strange place.  i do however know they are having a few issues with the 210ps engine in the mk6...
There's not many cars i would swap my mk5 for, but a mk6 is one of them.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 06:59:31 am »
I've warmed to the mk6 and I like the R rear lights and the interior of both gti and the R actually. Although where I think they have screwed up is Vw has it's pricing wrong.  Practically, at the level they've pitched the new car at, I may as well make a good used Porsche 911 c4s my next car.

Although I have to say given the recent weather I may be after that Toyota Land Cruiser the Top Gear blokes went to the North Pole in.  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:04:24 am by no golf clubs at all »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:28:24 am »
I think it's looks are the least of it's problems. The MK7 really needs to compete on power, because judging by it's rivals, the GTI is being left behind.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:00:54 am »
for me the interior its the mk6
exterior the mk5-once its been colour coded and a few bits added or smoothed.i just love TC's blended r32 rear end and some of the yanks have smoothed the front end and it looks way better imo!
mines a keeper and ill just keep doing bits to it. as and when i can afford another/newer car ill keep it and let the GF drive the newer one..... am pushing for a company car lol!

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:38 am »
i love the mk6 now, almost put a deposit on a white gti last weekend but couldnt part with 20k for a golf!

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 09:38:09 am »
I think it's looks are the least of it's problems. The MK7 really needs to compete on power, because judging by it's rivals, the GTI is being left behind.

this.

renault and vauxhall ford are putting up some meaty cars and the mk 7 is going to have to be 250+ bhp

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 09:54:22 am »
Rocco FTW!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 11:09:28 am »
I am not adverse to the MK6, I dont think it has quite the same presence as the MK5 did when it first came out, the front grille and red detail that the MK5 made a big thing out of has become too pinched and small.  Think the twin exhausts on each side are a move in the right direction and I was dissapointed that S3's and RS3 both stuck with single twin pipes.  Main reason I wouldnt buy a MK6 at the moment is the immenient arrival of the new VAG platform which is out on the A3 next year and Golf 2012, if nothing else it will see a price drop in second hand values.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.