Make a donation

Poll

Would you inform your Insurance Co. you had fitted Winter Tyres

Yes
No

Author Topic: Winter Tyres - Would you inform your Insurance  (Read 5040 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Winter Tyres - Would you inform your Insurance
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 11:55:04 am »
Legally classing a winter tyre as a modification, If they tried, You would have to declare runing summer or all season tyres to, Or even declare a tyre different to  the original on the car.

Oh, i didn't realise that there was talk that the goverment was going to class the Winter tyre as a modification, in fact i am not even sure what it had to do with the goverment !

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 12:08:25 pm »
Legally classing a winter tyre as a modification, If they tried, You would have to declare runing summer or all season tyres to, Or even declare a tyre different to  the original on the car.

Oh, i didn't realise that there was talk that the goverment was going to class the Winter tyre as a modification, in fact i am not even sure what it had to do with the goverment !

That won't happen. The article is talking about making winter tires compulsory during certain months (like other parts of Europe), not about the government classing winter tires as mods.

But I don’t think that will happen in the UK. Everyone would need 2 sets of wheels, it’s just not feasible.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 12:09:03 pm »
Yeah the tyre industry is tryin to get the govement to make a descision on either getting rid of the idea of a winter tyre being a modification or making it compulsary to run winter tyre in winter as germany do. All comes down to safety and the general motorist should not be penalised for running winter tyres when needed.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 12:18:12 pm »

That won't happen. The article is talking about making winter tires compulsory during certain months (like other parts of Europe), not about the government classing winter tires as mods.

But I don’t think that will happen in the UK. Everyone would need 2 sets of wheels, it’s just not feasible.

Thats what i thought

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02:01 pm »
Good to see people's views both ways.

However it seems the ABI have beaten me to it. They have stated on the news the other day that your insurance company should not charge and if they do you should ask to speak to Head Office direct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958
If you had read the link i posted earlier you would have seen this info too  :P
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »

....I'm not saying that I think the UK should legislate on compulsory winter tyres but if it's feasible in Germany then surely it's feasible here.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »
Just look at scotland,  ireland and northern england.  The whole place has just ceased to a halt.  I think they have to do something to stop this happening every year.  You have to admit, this snow has got worse every year.

Problem is people will whine in the UK cos thats what they do best.  Id bet the only thing they could do in order to actually make it legislative would be to provide financial incentives

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:51 pm »
Although it's not particularly convenient I'd happily accept a November-March winter tyre ruling without whining.

On the poll question of informing my insurer I would inform mine (Greenlight) - I prefer to have them on my side in the event of a claim.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »
 You have to admit, this snow has got worse every year.
Its not got worse. Its simply that we have had mild winters for alot of years. This type of winter was the norm in the 80s till mid/late 90s. I have driven in much worse in the late 80s and 90s up here in the north. We simply had a mild decade.
Modern cars have made it much much worse. Been so heavy, more powerful and having stupidly huge width tyres on.
When you think back in the 80s and 90s a shopping hatch was using 145x13 or 155x13 and hot hatches 175x70x13 or 185x60x14 and high powered execs were 185 or 195 (audi100 and 200turbo we had) even Urquattors only had 205's but into days climate a modern A4 basic TDI or similar has 245 tyres on and a basic shopping hatch 1.4/1.0 195 tyres and hothatches 225 or more and rear wheel drive BMWs and merc much wider again is it any wonder people are getting stuck. The past month i have used a small 1.0 hatchback with 165 tyres on and never got stuck.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 03:54:41 pm »
People are also not educated on how to drive in the snow.

I've just been out with the dogs and some numpty was sat revving hell out of his BMW trying to get going.

I went over told him to start off in second and just coast along with hardly any throttle input till he got going. Lo and behold he got out of his parking space and went on his merry way.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 04:01:36 pm »
stuck for 3 hours in traffic behind a guy in a big 4wd merc who just couldnt get up the hill.  Was doing my head in, i bother my ass to buy winter tyres, yet i get stuck behind people without them.  Almost like were p!ssing in the wind with it.

When traffic eventually cleared on the other side of the road i drove right past him on the opposite side all the way up the hill.

Ive been using back streets alot today.  Gets me away from all the guys doing 2mph everywhere.