Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone fancy a trip to London……...  (Read 6951 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: Anyone fancy a trip to London……...
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:15 pm »
27k plus 3 years living :happy2: which is gonna be 10k a year i would have thought
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 06:59:58 pm »
well us in scotland can expect mass imagration  again :signLOL:  we dont have to pay
Sig to big.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »

well us in scotland can expect mass imagration  again :signLOL:  we dont have to pay

....If you'd learnt anything at university you would know it's spelt "immigration"  :evilgrin:

Isn't this currently being discussed and changed in Scotland? It was on BBC News today.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 07:11:45 pm »

30% of students will pay back less than they would do now. For the rest of them, 9K over a 3 year course is 27K. They then have 30 years to pay that back. And this will probably be at a low interest rate.

....Exactly! And for most it's not as much as £9k p.a. anyway. Plus they only have to pay back IF they can afford to. A bit of clever accounting should do the trick to extend the debt or even avoid it. It's no big deal and not worthy of a trip to the streets of London - Someone should tell them that the streets aren't paved with gold.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »
we have had this discussion before robin i cant spell
and i never went to uni i must be a fookin idiot then
Sig to big.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 07:18:50 pm »

we have had this discussion before robin i cant spell
and i never went to uni i must be a fookin idiot then

....Don't take it to heart - I'm only goading you  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 07:44:41 pm »
lets be fair, Students spend most of the week laid in bed because there are only a few lectures they have to attend each week.  the rest is alleged homes study.  If they did more lectures during the week you could cut down the time in university, reduce the costs and allow them to get a job quicker rather than bumming it around, protesting at every opportunity they get for what ever pathetic reason they deem necessary.

I can say this as have been studying FULL time every day and have completed my BEng (Hons) in electrical engineering in 2 years. Granted this was sponsored and I've been on full wages for the entire duration, so its easier in that respect, I've sat in lectures watching the idle sh!ts hung over, with a thumb up their a$$ not paying attention at all.  

Speaking to most of them, when you ask why their at university the reply is its for the 'student experience'.  Obviously they are not all like that, but there are that many bogus degrees available, i think its a waste of their time and life unless they get something worthwhile.  Its widely known that a fairly large percentage (cant remember the figures) of students dont even get a job which utilizes their degree.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:48:17 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 08:06:06 pm »

lets be fair, Students spend most of the week laid in bed because there are only a few lectures they have to attend each week.  the rest is alleged homes study.  If they did more lectures during the week you could cut down the time in university, reduce the costs and allow them to get a job quicker rather than bumming it around, protesting at every opportunity they get for what ever pathetic reason they deem necessary.

I can say this as have been studying FULL time every day and have completed my BEng (Hons) in electrical engineering in 2 years. Granted this was sponsored and I've been on full wages for the entire duration, so its easier in that respect, I've sat in lectures watching the idle sh!ts hung over, with a thumb up their a$$ not paying attention at all. 

Speaking to most of them, when you ask why their at university the reply is its for the 'student experience'.  Obviously they are not all like that, but there are that many bogus degrees available, i think its a waste of their time and life unless they get something worthwhile.  Its widely known that a fairly large percentage (cant remember the figures) of students dont even get a job which utilizes their degree.

....Let's be even fairer and point out that whether they only have to attend a few hours of lectures each week or not, there is a lot of hard work which they have to do if they want to succeed, and that just like at the demos, they're not ALL like some folks suggest.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 08:16:36 pm »
a bit of a stereotypical view i guess, but we all have one. My pet hate is people protesting and going on strike.  Really grips my sh!t.

Plenty more people who would love their place in the Uni or job

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 08:18:11 pm »
all that hard work  to get a job in tesco  or asda :P
Sig to big.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

lets be fair, Students spend most of the week laid in bed because there are only a few lectures they have to attend each week.  the rest is alleged homes study.  If they did more lectures during the week you could cut down the time in university, reduce the costs and allow them to get a job quicker rather than bumming it around, protesting at every opportunity they get for what ever pathetic reason they deem necessary.

Speaking to most of them, when you ask why their at university the reply is its for the 'student experience'.  Obviously they are not all like that, but there are that many bogus degrees available, i think its a waste of their time and life unless they get something worthwhile.  Its widely known that a fairly large percentage (cant remember the figures) of students dont even get a job which utilizes their degree.

....Let's be even fairer and point out that whether they only have to attend a few hours of lectures each week or not, there is a lot of hard work which they have to do if they want to succeed, and that just like at the demos, they're not ALL like some folks suggest.

Alot of hard work to do if they do a proper degree and not something pointless.

The only thing that made me want to go to uni was the lifestyle, other than that it didnt interest me.

In the end  when I had to make the choice at 16 I decided I just wanted to get decent money as quickly as possible and here I am as a gas engineer.My older sis went the uni route, did a law degree, then did some more law based studying only to now decide she wouldnt enjoy the lawyer lifestyle of being tied to a desk for 14 hours a day to become a partner. She now works for a investment firm in London, makes alright money, but is saddled with debt and still doesnt make as much money as her lowly gas engineer brother.

I dont feel that in her case she has wasted her time or money, but the people who go to uni to study photography, art, lady gaga? What the point? What are they going to use their degree for, and are they going to be making any half decent money afterwards?

If your gonna go to uni, study a proper degree, that will get you a proper job, and a proper wage.

Know so many people who have done degrees in something, to only do a job thats completely unrelated, and work alongside people with no degree.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 08:36:54 pm »

I dont feel that in her case she has wasted her time or money, but the people who go to uni to study photography, art, lady gaga? What the point? What are they going to use their degree for, and are they going to be making any half decent money afterwards?

If your gonna go to uni, study a proper degree, that will get you a proper job, and a proper wage.

It surely depends on what your motivated by. Education doesn't serve as a way of making money, it serves as a way of enabling people to have a career in whatever interests them. What does it matter if that makes them lots of money or not. Money isn't the route to eternal happiness you know!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »

It surely depends on what your motivated by. Education doesn't serve as a way of making money, it serves as a way of enabling people to have a career in whatever interests them. What does it matter if that makes them lots of money or not. Money isn't the route to eternal happiness you know!

Completely agree, but most people I know dont do degrees in stuff they are passionate about, so you might aswell do one thats gonna get you a decent wage.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 08:46:04 pm »
27k plus 3 years living :happy2: which is gonna be 10k a year i would have thought

Your right in sayng it will be c£60k when including living expenses, my rent when i was living in jesmond in newcastle was £70 per week plus bills and that was 5-6 years ago.. you then got food, transport, booze and skunk to budget for, i reckon i was near on £300 a week  :laugh:

In my first year doing a politics degree  :indifferent: i had around a 12hr week of lectures/seminars and then 2nd and 3rd years it dropped down to around 6 and 4 respectively. alot of pro evo was played in those days rather than studying so i certainly agree with Sy about reducing the course length.

Imo the problem goes back to the previous labour government when they encouraged everyone to go and set a target of 50% of school leavers. what followed with all the polytechnics been turned in to uni's and the creation of loads of new but useless degrees, ultimately done to massage the figures, is a oversubscribed and underfunded higher education system

And now we see a shortage of  skilled tradesman (electricians/plumbers/builders/etc) and have to employ from abroad to make up for the shortfall, while we have loads of 20something graduates sat at home claiming the dole   :stupid:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Nasir

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 08:51:19 pm »
Yes there are those there who are there just for the 'lifestyle'. They're the idiots, they are the problem to the system. Some people are genuinely there to learn (me) and hopefully improve my chances of getting a higher paid job. You wouldn't make it to the 3rd year of university in a serious course if you were pissing about.

Got to say I don't agree with that at all, I think one of the main reasons students are demonstrating is because Nick Clegg said he wouldn't raise the tuition fees. It's a lot of money to pay back, £9,000 a year is daunting and scary. If I had to pay that at the start of my course I would never have started, many parents will be in the same position where it's probably best the child doesn't go to university. Whilst that might make a degree worth more it means only the rich and those with the courage to undertake that debt will sign up. The point of education is for it to be accessible to all.

Owing somebody money in business and personal debt are two different things. £27k is a lot of money whichever way you split it, nobody should have to face that proposition. They know nobody has that sort of cash so obviously they will have to borrow and work the rest of their lives to pay it off.
....Firstly I'm afraid that it doesn't matter what Nick Clegg or the Lib Party said they would do - They didn't win the election and are only in the coalition because they were invited to be. The LibDems are not in power. I will add that I am in favour of their influence in the coalition though. But their pre-election promises are now entirely irrelevant.

If you're "daunted and scared" about owing £9k some time in the future and that's only if you can afford to pay it back, then perhaps there's no place for you in the business world. Whether it's parents or someone else who pays, university education needs funding and every student should see that any financial costs to them are an investment.... Unless they just want to piss it all away only having a good time or rioting in the streets.