Make a donation

Author Topic: Insurers charging for winter tyres  (Read 1031 times)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Insurers charging for winter tyres
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:36:49 am »
The Association Of British Insurers recommends that any customer required to pay a supplement to their premium for fitting winter tyres contacts their insurer's head office directly. Their recommendation is that these tyres should not attract any 'modification' supplement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958

If you've been charged, get on to your insurer for your money back.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:11:45 pm by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Insurers charging for winter tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:27:36 am »
Just seen this on the BBC news. Does these mean that those that have been charged can get a refund?

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:00:56 am »
If I was just changing tyres and not the alloys + the tyres were the same size as those they replaced I would not tell my insurer .... they are a different tread and compound but then Pirelli and Bridgestone are too - I am sure an insurer would find it impossible not to pay out ....

I am all in favour of telling insurers about modifications, etc but I think we can all go too far trying to be 'good' and 'open / honest' + this has, in some cases, given insurers the opportunity to take the p*ss.   Changing alloys as well though and I would tell them ....

Just my view FWIW.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
Just seen this on the BBC news. Does these mean that those that have been charged can get a refund?

That's exactly how I read it, yes. A refund is due
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)