Make a donation

Author Topic: The Vulcan's winter home.  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
The Vulcan's winter home.
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:24:56 pm »
She is all parked up ready for her winter service @ RAF Lyneham and a few of us lucky ones got the chance to visit.
Enjoy.  :happy2:

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: The Vulcan's winter home.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:32:11 pm »
very cool , i remeber standing by her at fairford this year stunned at the size of her . a real bit of history , did you get to go in the cockpit ? love to see some pics of that , or any when its in depth ? fairings off etc ?
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline coullstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 04:42:27 pm »
Love this thing, what happening with the funding?  How many hours left in the airframe now?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ffhr59ul29keb5v8a9rmtpbhae&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:48:22 pm »
Christ... i had no idea they were quite so big!  :surprised:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 06:12:25 pm »
very cool , i remeber standing by her at fairford this year stunned at the size of her . a real bit of history , did you get to go in the cockpit ? love to see some pics of that , or any when its in depth ? fairings off etc ?

Unfortunately not allowed in the cockpit as it has ejection seats (for the pilot and co-pilot at least)  :smiley:

Love this thing, what happening with the funding?  How many hours left in the airframe now?

I think it is something like 4 years at current usage. Not totally sure mate www.vulcantothesky.org my have the answers you're looking for. :smiley:

As the first of the B2 Avro Vulcans she is 105ft long x 111ft wingspan. So yes pretty big. Normally has 5 crew housed between the front of the windscreen and the Panther on the side on 2 levels.

If anyone fancies it for themselves then http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/145/82/HANGAR-TOURS.html

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »

Unfortunately not allowed in the cockpit as it has ejection seats (for the pilot and co-pilot at least)  :smiley:  Did they not put the seat pins in then Ian? :signLOL: Managed to cockpit XM597 at Yeovilton in 82 fresh from her Black Buck Raids, the rear crew face rearwards with no ejection seats... :chicken:

I think it is something like 4 years at current usage. Not totally sure mate www.vulcantothesky.org my have the answers you're looking for. :smiley:

As the first of the B2 Avro Vulcans she is 105ft long x 111ft wingspan. So yes pretty big. Normally has 5 crew housed between the front of the windscreen and the Panther on the side on 2 levels.

If anyone fancies it for themselves then http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/145/82/HANGAR-TOURS.html
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:25:11 pm »
You've got me there Wayne but I think it prudent not to let Joe public loose in the cockpit of the last flying Vulcan.

Anyway she is on TV as I type. Military History channel. Repeated tomorrow at 2:00am, 8:00am and 2:00pm. :congrats:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:31:21 pm »
You've got me there Wayne but I think it prudent not to let Joe public loose in the cockpit of the last flying Vulcan.  Very true... :xmassmiley:

Anyway she is on TV as I type. Military History channel. Repeated tomorrow at 2:00am, 8:00am and 2:00pm. :congrats:
Cheers,

Wayne