Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard brakes  (Read 5729 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Standard brakes
« on: December 13, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »
What would you say the max power you should run using standard brakes?

im only asking because i have seen a gti for sale with 379bhp and 360lb ft of torque on standard kit....i thought its a bit mad, or am i underestimating the standard stuff?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Standard brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:48:38 pm »
The standard brakes are very good. The difference compared with a good aftermarket big brake kit is that pedal response will feel that much better and stopping power delivers greater de-acceleration. Also, if/when you are using your brakes a lot and quite hard, the oem brakes will fade sooner than aftermarkets will.

Much depends on how hard you drive and how often you drive that enthusiastically but a 380bhp GTI will lead you on!

Standard VAG brakes are well-known for relative poor pedal feel.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vh98c7p592bnavglu7mditjr9m&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »
I would say that 300+ bhp on the standard 312mm is fairly irresponsible unless your using very good pads (although i'm sure many do it)

The standard brakes were one of the things that I felt let down the car... IMO even upgrading to the R32 fronts will make driving the car feel much safer!  :happy2:

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 08:10:17 pm »
I would say that 300+ bhp on the standard 312mm is fairly irresponsible unless your using very good pads (although i'm sure many do it)

The standard brakes were one of the things that I felt let down the car... IMO even upgrading to the R32 fronts will make driving the car feel much safer!  :happy2:

i,m only on stage 1 and i dont like the way thwe std brakes feel. hence my porker conversion is on its way.
my old alfas brakes were sooo much safer feeling in comparity
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:16:06 pm »
got a link to this GTI that's for sale wiv 379 bhp??

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:04:39 pm »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vh98c7p592bnavglu7mditjr9m&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:16:27 pm »
Lee... its a GT2871RS turbo conversion!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 11:50:21 pm »
I must admit even standard the Edition 30 is too much for it's godawful brakes.

Better brakes = best mod IMHO.  :smiley:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:59:11 pm »
All Gti have bad brakes it's Part of the DNA of the Gti golf trust me have had every Gti model out and the stock brakes on all of them are ok but when pushing more power and giving them a big workout stock brakes suck arse  :driver:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 08:08:05 am »
I don't think the standard brakes are even up to the standard GTI's 200bhp, let alone the Edition 30's power. I would never have even remapped my GTI without replacing the brakes first.
When I went from a BMW to the GTI, the first thing I noticed was how poor the brakes are. All BMW's with reasonable power have excellent brakes as standard but VW's seem to really lack in this area. Even a 1.6 Focus has better brakes than a mk5 GTI in my opinion and I just can't understand why VW do it  :confused:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:13:44 am »
I assume your talking a new 1.6 focus Garth, my MK1.5 focus 1.6 had really dead feeling brakes and absolutely no bite and I had the reflex pac with all round disc ABS and EBFD  :laugh:  My right leg used to get a fairly good work out though!!!

I was rather shocked when I changed the pads in the front of the GTI that the lovely red calipers were more show than go, other problem ive had with GTI brakes is the emergency brake assist cutting in too early, I had to jab the brakes on a dual carriage way and the quick jab was taken as an attempt at emergency braking by the car  :scared:  Was nearly very dangerous as someone was driving up my chuff

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 10:27:13 am »
When you've got much more powerful brakes you have to be especially aware of the vehicle behind you and realise that some drivers rely on seeing your brake lights before they brake. If they can't de-accelerate as quickly as you do, you could have a rear end impact. However, I've noticed that once a car behind has realised your extra braking power they tend to stay further back which is a good thing.

Probably because of being my generation, I tend to shift down the gearbox (Manual in DSG) when slowing rather than only rely on braking. I don't like to see drivers constantly hanging onto their brakes all the way down a hill or before every single corner when only doing 40mph! "Oooh, there's a bend - I must brake" :fighting:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:09 am »
When you've got much more powerful brakes you have to be especially aware of the vehicle behind you and realise that some drivers rely on seeing your brake lights before they brake. If they can't de-accelerate as quickly as you do, you could have a rear end impact. However, I've noticed that once a car behind has realised your extra braking power they tend to stay further back which is a good thing.

Probably because of being my generation, I tend to shift down the gearbox (Manual in DSG) when slowing rather than only rely on braking. I don't like to see drivers constantly hanging onto their brakes all the way down a hill or before every single corner when only doing 40mph! "Oooh, there's a bend - I must brake" :fighting:

I dont think its just your generation Robin, I think its just people who can actually drive I will always use engine braking down big hills and it drives me mental how some people think there cars can only take corners at 5mph IMO there are a lot of people on the road that have no real concept of driving, not how to pass a test but how to safely drive a car such as anticipation lifting off the throttle rather than always on one pedal or other and progressively steering a car so that you can safely take a corner at speed, and I wont even start on people lane discipline on roundabouts!!!!  :fighting:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:54:45 am »

I dont think its just your generation Robin, I think its just people who can actually drive I will always use engine braking down big hills and it drives me mental how some people think there cars can only take corners at 5mph IMO there are a lot of people on the road that have no real concept of driving, not how to pass a test but how to safely drive a car such as anticipation lifting off the throttle rather than always on one pedal or other and progressively steering a car so that you can safely take a corner at speed, and I wont even start on people lane discipline on roundabouts!!!!  :fighting:

....Oh yes! Roundabouts! I had one yesterday while I had a Police car on my tail and he didn't stop and caution/educate them. Probably because he was intent on following me, so I decided to drive enthusiastically but absolutely within the law - The Quaife diff works very well on greasy road surfaces on roundabouts!

It's strange how one builds up a sixth sense and intuition about other drivers behaviour and then anticipates it. If there's other traffic on a roundabout I always assume they'll do the worst. I've actually gone completely around a roundabout to avoid someone cutting across me from the lefthand lane!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:10:07 am »

....Oh yes! Roundabouts! I had one yesterday while I had a Police car on my tail and he didn't stop and caution/educate them. Probably because he was intent on following me, so I decided to drive enthusiastically but absolutely within the law - The Quaife diff works very well on greasy road surfaces on roundabouts!

It's strange how one builds up a sixth sense and intuition about other drivers behaviour and then anticipates it. If there's other traffic on a roundabout I always assume they'll do the worst. I've actually gone completely around a roundabout to avoid someone cutting across me from the lefthand lane!

No im sure it was far more important to keep an eye on you incase you crept over the speed limit as your car is modified so your bound to drive like a t1t, rather than the twonk in the soft roader who doesnt pay attention to road conditions other road users or look more than 5 metres in front of there bonnet while driving around on dangerously bold and under inflated tyres and hasnt ever lifted their bonnet to check the car is roadworthy.....  and since its always dark I will add the ones who aren't aware of what the little dial to the right of the steering wheel is for so drives round shinning there headlights in your eyes. 

Sorry I will stop now  :signLOL: