Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
Re: Theme
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 11:34:34 am »
Good job I scrapped the idea of corporate MK5GolfGti.co.uk ........... http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9932/forum2ep.png

Haha iJoke!  :signLOL:
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:38:31 am »
Oh and the idea of bring the copyright on the site up to date that is a great shout  :congrats:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:13 am »

I thought we'd been through all this not long ago with VC's design proposals.

Haha, you mean mine :signLOL:

I'd disagree that a community wouldn't benefit from a strong and consistent brand/brand identity. Brands exist to engage and reassure consumers, helping them choose the product that is right for them. Whether that product is a soft drink, or a enthusiasts car club makes no difference.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 12:00:44 pm »

I thought we'd been through all this not long ago with VC's design proposals.

Haha, you mean mine :signLOL:

I'd disagree that a community wouldn't benefit from a strong and consistent brand/brand identity. Brands exist to engage and reassure consumers, helping them choose the product that is right for them. Whether that product is a soft drink, or a enthusiasts car club makes no difference.

....Ooops! sorry Andrew - You know what a bad memory I have.

You sound like I used to sound when pitching for corporate identity work. I agree with what you're saying but I'm only adding that I find a variation of logos refreshing and more sophisticated as a concept and afterall, a forum doesn't rely on income as a result and so can afford to be more adventurous. I'm not saying I'm absolutely right in this but am just sharing ideas.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 12:11:49 pm »
Haha, well I do work as a Brand Strategist. It's something I'm extremely passionate about!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:19 pm »

Haha, well I do work as a Brand Strategist. It's something I'm extremely passionate about!

....It's always good to hear that someone enjoys their work - It makes all the difference  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 01:35:15 pm »
First off there is no problem whatsoever with Betty posting the idea here. it is exactly what this section is for( as in the name )
 A lot of threads in this section are people having problems operating the forums/user controls's that to me is a user fault not a suggestion.  :P
As for the theme we spent literally hours and hours picking this one out, The colours were chosen to represent the main colours of GTI's we see on the roads and the layout had to be simple so people with cars not computer savvy people could easily navigate around. Yes it does look slightly dated, but it is of the age of the MK 5 and i think as our Mk5's age the forums identity keeps in kilter.
The main point though is we are not here to attract members or sponsor's or advertiser's, and that in itself gives this place it's identity and uniqueness. As far as i am concerned as long as the seller of the stickers gives a fair cut of the proceed's to the running of the forum, then there can be 5000 design's if people want. We don't need there to be a cohesive design, were people say look there's that forum again i am going to check it out, because we simply don't need new members, because we are not tied to promotion. Obviously new member's enrich the forum but it's better that they come here looking for info rather than because they saw it was a popular place.

The ethos has not changed since the first day. This forum is purely an information based web-site for owners of the Mk5 platform. Here simply for us lot to share information about faults and products. All the meets and friendship's made, is just a really great by product of people being people and as long as we keep in our mind's the original ethos then it's not to hard to keep it working well without adding problem's.  :drinking:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:48 pm »
So you don't want a £30K branding process carrying out?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 01:49:37 pm »
Nope! SteveP is a multi  millionaire already, have you seen what he has spent of his car's.  :laugh: but more importantly he is a very straight man. He does lots and lots to help people without a thought for money, and i am sure this place is no different or it would have happened long ago.  :wink:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 02:23:35 pm »
Yeah, I totally see where you are coming from, and agree that it's overkill for a discussion forum.

However, I do think it's wrong to associate brands solely with making money. Take not-for-profit organisations for example. Regardless of what your offering is, be it a product, or a service, and whether paid for or not, it's important that your brand represents your organisations ethos, and is consistent across all it's touch points, be that packaging, the website, or even simply the manner in which an email is replied to.

Should someone see a car sticker in passing, then visit the website and see a totally different brand identity then they're less likely to feel comfortable because there is no familiarity between the two, no connection.

Anyway, I shall stop boring everyone. I told you I was passionate about branding :laugh: