Make a donation

Author Topic: What brakes should I get?  (Read 4502 times)

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
What brakes should I get?
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:11:31 pm »
Hi guys/Gals.
took my GTI for it's service in April, and they said that the brakes, pads, discs etc were all getting pretty low (car has just gone 60 000) and would need replacing at some point soon, so decided that rather than just get original ones then should take the leap and get an aftermarket set. Plus I am looking at a remap so the increased pads will help.
Not looking to run any spacers or anything, have seen some R32 ones, but open to any suggestions really, only have a small amount to spend though.
Thanks
Al

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: What brakes should I get?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:19:28 pm »
i got the r32 set up when standard, went to stage 2+ and they have been more than powerful enough, if they ever feel like its not enough i would just get performance pads and disks when these need changing.

i got a very good deal on them too after a bit of haggling.

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »
How much are we talking for the full r32 setup?

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:26:36 pm »
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:49 pm »
i got a set that had done 4000 miles (front and rears), I didn't pay much but usually cost around 400-500, the front usually sell around 250-400.

keep your eye out on ebay and just offer some cheeky cash collected.

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:48:07 pm »
Have spoken to a guy on ED38 who has some front ones, only done about 4000 miles and painted red too, Asking £350.
Is that a good deal, and also do you recommend front and rear, or would just fronts suffice?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »
Have spoken to a guy on ED38 who has some front ones, only done about 4000 miles and painted red too, Asking £350.
Is that a good deal, and also do you recommend front and rear, or would just fronts suffice?

there are a few people on here who has done front and rear, i didnt because i dont plan on hard braking from higher speeds, i think the rears are used for good bias under hard braking.

i put SS hoses on the rear.

You will need R32 hoses too remember, they could be standard ones from a R32 (i uses standard ones) or SS ones.

Costs around £60 for powder coating red or i paid £30 and had them sanded and painted, id maybe offer that guy £300 and see what he says.

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »

I bought a front set "off of the bay" for 140 plus 15 delivery. Plenty of meat on the pads and discs are ok too. Calipers need painting though. They must be cupra ones as they are factory red.

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:03:43 pm »
speak to daveb, the NQSBBK is the way forward for a decent price! 4pot porsches look cool as hell upfront aswell.  :wink:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:55:14 am »
OK, decided on R32 or S3 brakes, not after IMMENSE braking power, just want an improvement,
But am now unsure if I should go for front or rear, which offers the best results?

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 11:13:41 am »
i think most people say fronts on everyday/normal use, and add the rears if you are driving mental or tracking it on a regular basis.
but what do i know lol :sad1:
ill just be adding the fronts esp as my GF says i drive like an old man :innocent:......... but thats wen she is in the car!! :evilgrin:

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline POC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:22 am »
I did front and rear with the R32/S3 setup along with grooved front discs and SS hoses all round.  Excellent stopping power even with less than 100 miles under their belt.  Feels like a good solid braking system, doesnt dive under hard braking with the rears, feels like the car is being pulled into the road!

Im impressed

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 11:49:23 am »
They work really well together, and as has been said, seems to pull the rear into line under heavy braking.

I was one of the first to fit S3 rears many many moons ago (early 2009) to my Ed30.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2113.0.html

Offline POC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 12:00:38 pm »
Prob has something to do with the R32 rears only being 2mm smaller than the original GTi fronts!

Good VFM setup IMHO.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 12:07:17 pm »
R32 rears are vented vs GTI's solid too.

I'd say pick up some R32 fronts and get some decent pads and fluid, if it isn't going to see a track, that'll do you more than fine. Only other thing is the weight, if you can afford the Porker set up, you'll be shaving a lot off and it can be felt. Swings and roundabouts.

Never saw the need for the rears myself, and I was running serious big boys up front on track. Depends on how brave you are with the tail  :laugh:

Sideways yo!