Make a donation

Author Topic: Major help required  (Read 9431 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Major help required
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:40:10 pm »
How do all, today went out to the shops and on the way home came to a set of lights are you do and pulled away with a few revs for a quick get away, wasn't by any means bouncing off the limiter etc and anyway the rev counter seriously shot to the red line quicker than normal so changed up and the same thing happened again, at the time I thought it was the wheels spinning but when i happened through 3rd I wondered what was going on, the revs eventually came back down and it pulled away as you'd expect.

After about 10 seconds I got the distinct smell of burning clutch and i mean really strong so pulled over to my delight it wouldn't come out of gear while trying to find neutral, managed to force it into neutral and got out and had a look around, couldn't seen any oil etc just the smell so got back in while the engine wasn't running and it all selected fine, turned the engine on and it wouldn't select any gear and eventually had to force it into gear to get it moving, when i say force it in i mean really push it.

There isn't any whining noises, rev's being erratic etc, it still pulls exactly the same but its just impossible to drive.

Its under warranty still and has only done 13k so does anyone have any idea what it could possibly be?

Can't help but think its well and truly shagged.

The car is 100% standard as well.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Major help required
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:43:23 pm »
It bares all the hall marks of a clutch gone i am afraid. What mods do you have.
I ask about the mods because if you dont have any then VW should cough up for the expensive new clutch.  :smiley:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:45:03 pm »
nothing matey at all, I did go into vw the other month about an issue I felt was happening with 2nd gear being really notching so it's not the first time I have raised a transmission issue with them.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:48:47 pm »
nothing matey at all, I did go into vw the other month about an issue I felt was happening with 2nd gear being really notching so it's not the first time I have raised a transmission issue with them.

Happy days then. if you get my drift. VW should definitely replace under warranty. I would expect a little battle though as it is rare but not unheard of for clutches to go.  :smiley:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:11 pm »
Thats one thing that makes me wonder because aren't there people on here running over 300 horses on a standard clutch and for this to go with a standard output and i bit of enthusiastic driving seems a bit strange.

Luke

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:55:02 pm »
Thats one thing that makes me wonder because aren't there people on here running over 300 horses on a standard clutch and for this to go with a standard output and i bit of enthusiastic driving seems a bit strange.

Luke

For a clutch to go after 13000 miles you either wear a caliper on your left foot and ride it all the time, or you are the burn out king.
I dont know anything about the mechanics of a clutch, but yours sounds like it was badly adjusted from the word go.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:06:53 pm »

I'm confident that VW will sort this out under warranty without any argument just as long as the fault is evident. And anyway, perhaps their diagnostics will see the fault logged. So unless you've got a particularly sh*te dealer, don't worry; And even then you can visit any VW dealer you wish.

Btw, I think you've missed the "k" off "as" in your sig: "People who as why, will never understand"

I assume it's like this Harley statement : -

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:07:34 pm »
After how long of normal driving should a clutch go on this car?

My biting point is definitely a lot higher than when I first got the car but I have a feeling the clutch might go within the next six months.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 02:13:19 pm »
I've never rode the clutch right from day one after speaking to revo and them categorically stating that the only way to shag one of the clutches in the GTi, ED30, Cupra etc is to ride them and go over 350ish brake. I'm not a mental driver by any means and very rarely go wild with it unless a decent rode opens up but burnouts aren't my cup of tea lol.

Will wait and see but the dealer who I recently took it to for warranty work are sound but a bit of a trek away so the car may need to be towed as its pretty much impossible to drive safely.

Cheers for the heads up on the signature RR, much obliged.

Luke

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
After how long of normal driving should a clutch go on this car?

....I stand to be corrected but I think that there isn't a service date that VW give for a clutch replacement on the Mk5. In other words, it should last well over 100k miles. But I stand to be corrected and how an individual driver uses the clutch will be a factor.

Another good reason to justify DSG imo.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 02:19:40 pm »
Will wait and see but the dealer who I recently took it to for warranty work are sound but a bit of a trek away so the car may need to be towed as its pretty much impossible to drive safely.

Cheers for the heads up on the signature RR, much obliged.

Luke

....You should be able to get your car piggy-backed to the dealer under VW Assist under warranty.

No prob on the sig, shall I send that Harley chick over to give you a good seeing-to for your error? :evilgrin:
I was also given a baseball cap with it embroidered on while over there - It's a great saying imo.

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 02:31:58 pm »
Happy days then. if you get my drift. VW should definitely replace under warranty. I would expect a little battle though as it is rare but not unheard of for clutches to go.  :smiley:

I'm sure too, that you'll get this sorted under warranty

As Top Cat says,  problems with the dual mass flywheel clutches are not unheard of by any means on Golf Mk V's. 

Googling "golf mk 5 dual mass clutch problem"

brings up quite a few similar stories   :scared:

Print a few off and take them to your dealer as backup, just in case  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:36:17 pm by JonnyG »
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 02:37:49 pm »
Cheers for all the info chaps, will take it down to them tomorrow and get onto the phone to customer care.

Just wouldn't expect this sort of thing to happen to a 20K+ plus car which is over a year old, thats the most frustrating thing about it.

Luke

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 02:45:46 pm »
Good luck ... and let us know how you get on  :happy2:
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 03:08:25 pm »
....I stand to be corrected but I think that there isn't a service date that VW give for a clutch replacement on the Mk5. In other words, it should last well over 100k miles. But I stand to be corrected and how an individual driver uses the clutch will be a factor.

Arf?
I thought clutches were one of those things that you replaced as they wore out? Like tyres? On my fiesta I replaced the clutch at 80k miles.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.