Make a donation

Author Topic: Major help required  (Read 9437 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Major help required
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 03:18:02 pm »
....I stand to be corrected but I think that there isn't a service date that VW give for a clutch replacement on the Mk5. In other words, it should last well over 100k miles. But I stand to be corrected and how an individual driver uses the clutch will be a factor.

Arf?
I thought clutches were one of those things that you replaced as they wore out? Like tyres? On my fiesta I replaced the clutch at 80k miles.

....I did write: "I stand to be corrected". I can't find anything about clutches in the GTI Service Handbook and I've never needed a new clutch in driving various cars over 40 years.

Does the DSG box of tricks have a Dual Mass Flywheel?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:22:13 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 03:47:09 pm »
....I stand to be corrected but I think that there isn't a service date that VW give for a clutch replacement on the Mk5. In other words, it should last well over 100k miles. But I stand to be corrected and how an individual driver uses the clutch will be a factor.

Arf?
I thought clutches were one of those things that you replaced as they wore out? Like tyres? On my fiesta I replaced the clutch at 80k miles.

....I did write: "I stand to be corrected". I can't find anything about clutches in the GTI Service Handbook and I've never needed a new clutch in driving various cars over 40 years.

Does the DSG box of tricks have a Dual Mass Flywheel?
im sure it has robin, fault sounds like dual mass failure or clutch release bearing knackered.
Keep us informed what is found to be wrong snapey. :happy2:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 05:58:00 pm »
Starting to get quite concerned about this after looking through all of the information on the web it seems that the vast majority of people are having to end up paying for repairs....... really can't be doing with over a grands worth of repairs.
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 06:09:37 pm »
Starting to get quite concerned about this after looking through all of the information on the web it seems that the vast majority of people are having to end up paying for repairs....... really can't be doing with over a grands worth of repairs.

You really should have nothing to worry about, but it would be wise to contact VW customer service, at the same time it arrives at the dealer for repair, and  tell them how disappointed you are that your clutch appears to have failed after so few miles, you dont need to kick up a fuss until and if, they claim its down to incorrect use.  :smiley:

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 06:27:48 pm »
gutted for ya, good luck   :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:25 pm »
gutted to hear snapey  :sad:
sounds just like billyboys event at santa pod !
In the absence of a triggering event i.e. excessive slipping , it may point as Phil says to a sudden internal mech failure rather than a worn plate etc
VW should sort you out  :happy2: as you arent remapped. But yes there a fair amount of clutch stories on the MkVs , and not just the remapped ED30 owners  :grin:
I assume you are the first owner from new?
Good luck getting it replaced

[as a side note if you are considering a remap in the future , you may want to think about VWR for a new uprated clutch if you wanted to go outside the warranty route + an LSD for laughs  :signLOL:]
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »
I'm the second owner of the car, the first owner was made redundant so couldn't afford to run it and all the rest that goes with it. But even saying that there were no signs of slip etc prior to it going and it still doesn't spill now, that was driving it back after I manged to get it into a gear.

Luke

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 08:45:34 pm »
snapey
mine had never ever slipped, its APR stage 1, and had 19000 on the clock, i did 3 runs at santa pod with not a prob.
then i let my lad have a run, he run up the pod with his foot resting on the pedal, it whouldnt go into gear for at least an hour with the bonnet open to cool it down, it got us home and then ran for 2 weeks with notchy changes and stunk.
this is what VWR/racingline found

so with it beening mapped and maybe more in the future i didnt want to go through it again so had an uprated sachs paddle fitted with eddy30 pressure plate.

mark farmer at VWR/racingline is a top bloke, if your thinking of going down the tuning route on standard parts it may happen again
billy

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 08:56:49 pm »
Sounds like the exact same symptoms as what I have, If you don't mind I'll print this off and take it along and show them what to expect because there's no way with crack like that they can blame it on wear and tear.

Luke

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 09:17:14 pm »
Sounds like the exact same symptoms as what I have, If you don't mind I'll print this off and take it along and show them what to expect because there's no way with crack like that they can blame it on wear and tear.

Luke
but they can say it was down to it being mapped, and driver abuse
billy

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 03:50:09 pm »
Just got off the phone from the dealers and it's the flywheel and clutch which have gone. Both are being replaced under warranty their just waiting for the flywheel to come in stock which should take a couple of days. Again cant stress how well Gilder Volkswagen of Chesterfield have handled the case.

Luke

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 04:01:52 pm »
Just got off the phone from the dealers and it's the flywheel and clutch which have gone. Both are being replaced under warranty their just waiting for the flywheel to come in stock which should take a couple of days. Again cant stress how well Gilder Volkswagen of Chesterfield have handled the case.

Luke

Thats good news, nice one  :jumpmove:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 04:16:47 pm »
^^^^
x2

Good news! :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 04:24:36 pm »
good stuff snappy!!  :happy2:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 04:45:20 pm »
Great news, any free of charge is "happy days " in my book.