Make a donation

Author Topic: Just been Mig'd !  (Read 4134 times)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Just been Mig'd !
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:49:49 pm »
Hi guys.....

Had my car in at Miglior, Friday - Sat just gone, for an Enhancement Detail and Winter sealant.   

Jay has done a lovely job on my ED30 I must say, .....a lot of the swirling and scratches have been removed.  The colour, shine and depth are all massively improved, and I can highly recommend the Enhancement Detail to anyone who wishes to have their paintwork rejuvinated !  :happy2:   Unfortunately I had to drive back home in the snow and brown slush, ah well.   At least its all well sealed now for the rest of the winter. 

Jay has a few pics when it was finished  :congrats:   Top bloke too  :notworthy:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Just been Mig'd !
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:19:46 pm »
  :worthless:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:33:43 pm »
Cheers mark, glad you liked the work! Ill get some pics up as soon as i can!  :scared:

;)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 07:32:31 pm »
Well, pics or no pics, I managed to clean the ED30 today  :smiley:, ...............and what a very easy job it was too !!

I used a little Autoglym Pressure wash shampoo with hot water in the Karcher lance to foam the car first, then filled 2 buckets, 1 rinse, only warm water and the other with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.
After 5 mins I blasted off the foam, and armed with my new Lambswool Mitt  (cheers Keith) I set to work from the roof down, rinsing the new Mitt very regularly in the clean warm water.  The car cleaned sooooo easily it was a pleasure to do, the paintwork feels as smooth as silk and the water beading when rinsing is great to see  :happy2:

Shame it started to rain a little as I was towelling it down, nevermind its clean and sealed up, thats all I'm bothered about this time of year  :tree: :signLOL:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:34:39 pm by markc »
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 08:43:15 pm »
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:46:31 pm »
 :worthless:

THIS!!!!

MATSU

Jay,  did you manage to find any of mine when it was finished mate ?   The Natives are getting restless around here  :signLOL:  I could take some tomorrow with the mine but Its not a great camera really.........ho hum
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:48:41 pm by markc »

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:48 pm »
Right,  .......some of my pics after a good wash this morning  :wink:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:36 pm »
Hi Mark, sorry ive not had these pics to you sooner!  :signLOL:

Here we go...

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:46:45 pm »
ah... that last one was fitch deciding it would be a good idea to bury my van in snow!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:01:49 pm »
 :congrats:

Awesome work. Jay, quick question: Have you ever used a polarised light source to find swirls? Given that a radial source would show "circular" swirl marks, would a uniform, polarised lightsource highlight swirls better?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »
I use a Variety of Light sources. Some I use as Check lights, some I use as Task Lighting. Some do a bit of both.

For example, i use the Metal Halide Flood lights as task lighting as it illuminates and also check lights as the power of these is perfect for showing up swirls. Now, what you hint at, polarised lighting, Metal halide is not. It only shows up swirls exactly where the reflection of the light source is. This has good and bad points. The good points being the power of the lighting shows up even "hidden" swirls lights like halogens might struggle to pick up. You might say the bad points are, sometimes its awkward to illuminate the area you want to.

Another light source I use purely as a check light is the 3M sun gun. This spreads its light energy quite well. I wouldn't call it a polarised light source but it spreads its beam far enough to pick up on buffer trails and holograms, plus with this light source, you can move it around as much as you wish.

I also use A single LED torch too.

There are some other lights i use too, but not worth a mention really.

With this array of lighting, Im quite confident i do not miss anything. I also never feel limited by my light set up in the unit. Id love to experiment with new light sources, i like to keep moving forward. But for the minute, im quite content with my light set up. Well, content enough to not think about experimenting with other types.

I can

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 01:26:05 pm »
I've always been impressed by your use of various light sources rather than relying on a single sun gun as some detailers do.

Just wondering whether a polarised light source would have additional value or merely be an extra "toy". I guess it must be easier (and cheaper) to wear polarised sunglasses!  :grin: Have you ever done this? Does it have any merit?

Questions are more for curiosity than anything else.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 01:40:01 pm »
Hi Jay, since you’ve gone to all that hard work in making it swirl free I hope you have told Mark to throw away his old brillo pad! And use something softer in future. Those swirls on the bonnet looked bad

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 01:47:02 pm »
I've always been impressed by your use of various light sources rather than relying on a single sun gun as some detailers do.

Just wondering whether a polarised light source would have additional value or merely be an extra "toy". I guess it must be easier (and cheaper) to wear polarised sunglasses!  :grin: Have you ever done this? Does it have any merit?

Questions are more for curiosity than anything else.

It might have additional value, and its things like that which I enjoy trying in order to keep myself moving forward. Its just at this present time, its tough out there. Money is tight.  :signLOL: January is quiet! I have got some polarised Oakley sunglass but never worn them in the unit. Ill see it lining the light rays has any merit! ;)

Hi Jay, since you’ve gone to all that hard work in making it swirl free I hope you have told Mark to throw away his old brillo pad! And use something softer in future. Those swirls on the bonnet looked bad

Swirl free, hmm.. it was an enhancement detail. I have supplied an after care guide so hopefully Mark is soaking all that info up! :)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »
Cheers Jay, much better pics than my phone ones !

Eccie- the old feller that had it from new before me did all that mate, not me. I use a 2 bucket method, Chemical guys shampoo and a Lambs Wool Mit !  :booty:

Nb: Jay, that was bloody funny when they snowed your van up  :grin: