Make a donation

Author Topic: Cold tyres (Toyo Advice added)  (Read 860 times)

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Cold tyres (Toyo Advice added)
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:44:54 pm »
I have almost new Toyo R1R's, does anyone know if tyres left out in extreem cold (-10) and not used for a while can be knackered?

Heard of the compound altering in very low temperatures  :ashamed:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:30:27 pm by NeilM »

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Cold tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »
Mr Toyo says:

Good Afternoon,

The rubber compounds used in these tires have unique properties that, when compared to other tires, can cause them to lose some of their flexibility when used or handled in conditions below 15F (-9C). This loss in flexibility can lead to potential cracking and other damage to the tire.

TO MINIMIZE THE CHANCES OF THIS HAPPENING, CONSUMERS ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Do not move or operate the car with these tires in conditions below 15F (-9C). ALWAYS INSPECT FOR SIGNS OF CRACKING! NEVER USE TIRES THAT HAVE CRACKED!

2. Avoid moving these tires in conditions below 15°F (-9°C).

3. Before mounting or dismounting, store these tires for at least 24 hours in a temperature-controlled environment of 68°F (20°C) or warmer, and ALWAYS INSPECT FOR SIGNS OF CRACKING! NEVER USE TIRES THAT HAVE CRACKED!

4. Remove these wheels/tires from the vehicle and deflate to half the normal air pressure during prolonged periods of non-use or storage.

If I can be of any further help please give me a call.

Best regards
Alan

Alan Meaker
Technical and Motorsport Manager
Toyo Tyre UK

No track days then  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:35:25 pm by NeilM »