Make a donation

Poll

DSG owners only, please state whether you have had a replacement Mech's unit.

54-05 replacement req.
3 (3%)
54-05 No issues
13 (13.1%)
55-06 replacement req.
4 (4%)
55-06 No issues
18 (18.2%)
56-07 replacement req.
3 (3%)
56-07 No issues
22 (22.2%)
57-08 replacement req.
15 (15.2%)
57-08 No issues
15 (15.2%)
58-09 replacement req.
0 (0%)
58-09 No issues
5 (5.1%)
59-10 replacement req
0 (0%)
59-10 No issues
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Mechantronics issues...DSG Cars....POLL. ALL DSG OWNERS ....Amended Version  (Read 15823 times)

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
Re: Mechantronics issues...DSG Cars....POLL. ALL DSG OWNERS ....Amended Version
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »
Vote submitted, no issues with mine. 2008/57, 38k miles.  :happy2:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline ejecter

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 10:04:26 pm »
Vote submitted.

ED30 10000 Miles 2008/08 no probs so far.

neil.
Admit nothing,Deny everything,Make counter accusations.

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Mechantronics issues...DSG Cars....POLL. ALL DSG OWNERS ....Amended Vesion
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 10:06:33 pm »
05 with no replacement.

However I'm not sure all is well. (So if you fancy having a go in mine Steve, I'm in Southampton.)

When you put it into drive at the lights, for example, you have to wait a second or two before pulling away or you get a clunk that I wouldn't expect. I have an Audi TTS with the same box which doesn't do it, maybe it's a VW feature! :wink:

Incidentally, if you've bought secondhand your local dealer will tell you if your car had a replacement before you bought it. :happy2:

TonyZ

Mine did this Tony before service, and I also did a basic setting reset as per Ross wiki and that helped the situation alot.  Also do you put into drive while still on the brake and then accelerate or switch to drive while coming off the brake? 

I drive it the same as I do the TTS, but that doesn't clunk!  :confused:

I'll get my mate to do a reset with his Vagcom and see if that makes a difference. I did have a DSG service at VW in Southampton, although it was a bit late at 45,000 miles, together with a service and cambelt change. I presume they take it for a test drive afterwards??? They didn't comment on the 'box, nor did an Indie that has since done some work on it.

Also, my wife doesn't have an issue with it, nor my son, so maybe it is just me being ham-fisted footed, so maybe it is just me, so I'll take up SaintSteve's offer to try it, particularly as this is his thread. :congrats:

All that said, I love the DSG ( and the S-Tronic in the TTS) even if it does need some work on it. :notworthy: I don't think I would buy a car with one of those stirry-stick things again!! :indifferent:

TonyZ

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »
Is there a way those of us who haven't voted can see the results of the poll?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Saint Steve

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
Is there a way those of us who haven't voted can see the results of the poll?
:wink:

Offline Dubbin

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 11:10:50 pm »
Vote submitted.

07 plate GTI 31k miles - no problems
GTI, DSG, Xenons, Laser Blue, Sunroof, 5 Door, Monza IIs, MFSW

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:38 am »
Definitely too early to say anything but I notice that there are more 57-08 owners WITH probs than those without.  Come on 57-08 voters get voting!

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 08:46:46 am »
Hi all

2006 56 plate - gti , mechatronic unit failure, vw UK have just declined my claim as the previous owner did not have the dsg oil changed at 40000 miles, we purchased the car at 45000 miles and joined this forum, found out about the service and problems and had it done straight away !

Now we have a car that kangaroos itself around when pulling away or reversing ! Very dangerous especially when trying to park. Currently on the search for a way to fix the problem cheaper than the £1400 vw Stockport want to fix.

Going to call tps today and see what price they will give me as I have recently set up my business with them for bigger discounts than are already available.

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 11:14:42 am »
 :jumping: :surprised: :sad1:

That is TERRIBLE! shame on VW UK!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:35:06 am by no golf clubs at all »

Offline wagonboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • Nov.2007 ED30 dsg reflex silver
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 11:44:14 am »
Is the DSG service at 40,000 miles specifically on mileage or is it time related also, like the cambelt. only on 13,500 miles ( just over 3 years old now ) but know next service it will be cambelt and waterpump. Thanks Chris

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »
Is the DSG service at 40,000 miles specifically on mileage or is it time related also, like the cambelt. only on 13,500 miles ( just over 3 years old now ) but know next service it will be cambelt and waterpump. Thanks Chris

I was quoted 4 years for DSG service still havent done 40k in mine but the service provided an improvement, Shaun T_T did an interesting post on this you should track down and read.

As for 5,000 mile discrepancy thats ridiculous did you buy it from VW or indie? 

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 12:35:16 pm »

The car was bought privately and had been serviced by VW Liverpool, so I called VW liverpool and asked why the DSG service had not been done at the time it was serviced at 40000 miles. They said, the customer had declined the service to be done due to cost.

My argument with VW UK was that the car is now unsafe to drive as lurches into walls etc when trying to park, and if, as VW UK said the claim should be declined because the service was not done, then in effect they are saying the service is the reason the mechatronic unit failed. Then they should not allow the customer to decline this to be done at 40000 it should be mandatory as it directly links to the safety of the vehicle.

I have told VW UK i am going to trading standards and the media, they said they are not intereseted and claim declined !
 :sad1: :sad1:

While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 08:47:02 pm »

The car was bought privately and had been serviced by VW Liverpool, so I called VW liverpool and asked why the DSG service had not been done at the time it was serviced at 40000 miles. They said, the customer had declined the service to be done due to cost.

My argument with VW UK was that the car is now unsafe to drive as lurches into walls etc when trying to park, and if, as VW UK said the claim should be declined because the service was not done, then in effect they are saying the service is the reason the mechatronic unit failed. Then they should not allow the customer to decline this to be done at 40000 it should be mandatory as it directly links to the safety of the vehicle.

I have told VW UK i am going to trading standards and the media, they said they are not intereseted and claim declined !
 :sad1: :sad1:

You are spot on with your assessment and i would not stop harassing them until they sorted it, it's disgraceful of them to not fix it when they know full well the mech units are dodgy.

:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 08:58:05 pm »
This is the kind of thing dissuading me from a VW warranty!