Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone cleaning their cars in this weather?  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Anyone cleaning their cars in this weather?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »
I last washed mine on about the 20th of november i think, right before i put it in the garage inside the carcoon, some people think im  :stupid: but there is no chance it was going out in a foot of snow, so i bought a winter car  :smiley:, when the salt and snow does one, the golf will be back out to play  :happy2:

I would be happy with a garage let alone a carcoon.  And I have cleaned mine twice through the cold weather the moment an above freezing spell comes along it gets cleaned and under body sprayed to remove as much salt as possible.  :sick:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »
I clay bar'd and Zaino'd mine in early November and unless there's a few dry days I'll only jet hose the car apart from handwashing glass and alloys. She's garaged all the time she's not driven and I only average about 15 miles a week in the winter and often zero miles.

Those with diamond-cut Monza's had better take extra care over wheel washing - The road salts etc love to start off the white worm and once it starts it's unstoppable without refurbishment.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:25:38 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 03:51:35 pm »
Those with diamond-cut Monza's had better take extra care over wheel washing - The road salts etc love to start off the white worm and once it starts it's unstoppable without refurbishment.

Exactly why all mine came off end of last week for a front and back wash and another coat of poor boys sealant, thats two coats in 3 months.  Although they are already in need of a re-furb as I bought them pre-whitewormed.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 05:06:06 pm »
I last washed mine on about the 20th of november i think, right before i put it in the garage inside the carcoon, some people think im  :stupid: but there is no chance it was going out in a foot of snow, so i bought a winter car  :smiley:, when the salt and snow does one, the golf will be back out to play  :happy2:

I would be happy with a garage let alone a carcoon.  And I have cleaned mine twice through the cold weather the moment an above freezing spell comes along it gets cleaned and under body sprayed to remove as much salt as possible.  :sick:

its quite nice to open the garage and see it all tucked up  :ashamed: :pomppomp:

PM for details

Offline johnston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »
only been giving mine a qick once over every now and then, 5 mins of driving and its rotten again.... i really hate to see her filthy! just bought a snow foam lance so might give her a right sorting out when that comes in!

Offline mattypgolf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:17 pm »
At worst case mines getting a rinse everyday with warm water!! Now temps are up slightly shouldnt have to worrie about the salt
TR dsg, stage 1 r-tec map, bbs ch in gloss black, black roof and badges, colour coded, neuspeed hybrid intake, cat back exhaust..

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »
At worst case mines getting a rinse everyday with warm water!! Now temps are up slightly shouldnt have to worrie about the salt

I though they advised not to wash with warm water when there is salt on the roads as it acts as a catalyst for rust as it excites the particles.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:06:26 pm »
4 hours on mine yesterday,looks great though could do with at least another nice warm day to wax it, get the wheels off,and cleanthe engine bay.

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 09:27:38 pm »
I washed mine yesterday for the first time since mid November ..... to remove light dust  :P
 Mine's also been tucked up in the garage and only taken out once in the past 8 weeks. She sits on a CTEK battery conditioner and I just fire her up once a fortnight. I would have taken her for a spin a little more often but the roads have been so crappy and salty, I couldn't see the point in doing so. The company car has taken the brunt of it this winter.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 09:39:27 pm »
I washed mine yesterday for the first time since mid November ..... to remove light dust  :P
 Mine's also been tucked up in the garage and only taken out once in the past 8 weeks. She sits on a CTEK battery conditioner and I just fire her up once a fortnight. I would have taken her for a spin a little more often but the roads have been so crappy and salty, I couldn't see the point in doing so. The company car has taken the brunt of it this winter.

good man  :happy2: i fired mine up today, was so tempted to take it for a drive, but a fresh layer of snow gave me the urge not too  :driver:

PM for details

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=10dko2jhi48arib95rqamdglea&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 09:45:14 pm »
Mine was parked under a tree for 3 days... so had to take it to the local jet wash just to get all the cr@p off!  :sad1:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 09:47:05 pm »
got a karcher as an xmas pressie, so thats all all the GTI is seeing these days, no fibre mitt gets near it!
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD