Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 vs GTI day @ Surrey RR  (Read 23730 times)

Offline Becca88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
Re: R32 vs GTI day @ Surrey RR
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »
Wohoo! Bring it on :-D

Saint Steve

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2011, 03:02:55 pm »
Gutted, too soon, can't get time off so soon. :sad1:

Offline Becca88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2011, 03:23:53 pm »
Like i said. pull a sickie ....... O:-)

Saint Steve

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »
Like i said. pull a sickie ....... O:-)

Would BSKYB let me off, just cus a young philly said to pull a sicky :laugh:

I really would go, hate missing big RR days, especially if its Surrey or JKM :sad1:

Have fun.

Would love to see a Turbo'd R32 on the rollers, especially a reputable one as is Surreys RR DD setup.

Offline Gti_Mad

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »
I'm gona pop down 2 have a watch lol.... Were's the cafe hedge ??

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »
Mmmm im neither a 4 pot nor a 6 cylinder.

Im inbetween the two combining the best of both, where can I sign up!

Pov remember that DD rollers dont have a 5 pot mode, so they need to run it in 4pot, then 6 pot and average the two readings.  this is why the FRS500 was so under powered when EVO did the test on it.

so it seems the dyno operators have been wrong.  maybe this is the reason for the focus RS reading low on alot of dyno's

this is quoted from evo's website

You may remember that a few weeks back I stuck a new Focus RS500 on a rolling road and the outcome wasn't that impressive - just 326.7bhp, some 20bhp short of the actual claim.
We put the story up on the website, Ford got to hear about it and it caused a bit of a kerfuffle. They wanted to know exactly how the test had been conducted, ambient temperature, etc, etc. Anyway, turns out they had a point - when we ran the original test the dyno had been set-up to calculate losses based on a four cylinder engine, while the Focus RS has five cylinders. To compensate for that you have to do two runs on the rolling road, one in 4 cylinder mode, the other in six, then average the two. Hands up for the cock up first time round - all my fault.

So yesterday I took the exact same Focus RS back to DMS Automotive and ran the tests again. Just to check Ford hadn't had a tinker with EJ10 OAP (unfortunate numberplate...) we ran the 4cyl test again and got 326.5bhp, an all but identical result.
We switched to 6cyl mode, which increases the resistance through the rollers, and expected to see a small gain, but little more. However...

So if you are an RS500 owner, you can now boast about you car nearly having the power it's claimed to - averaged out the RS500 develops 337bhp against a claim of 345bhp. But that's by the by really, the RS500, just like every other Focus RS, remains a pretty tremendous thing and feels like it has every one of the 345 it's meant to have.  
Oh, one more thing. Last time we stuck a video up of the rolling road run and loads of you wanted to know how much power the RS500 was developing at the wheels. So here's another video with the result on it. The first figure you see is in 4cyl mode, the second is the 6cyl run.  

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2011, 06:44:45 pm »
Excellent, see you there.  What time for Breakfast  :party: :party:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2011, 07:07:56 pm »
Mmmm im neither a 4 pot nor a 6 cylinder.

Im inbetween the two combining the best of both, where can I sign up!

Pov remember that DD rollers dont have a 5 pot mode, so they need to run it in 4pot, then 6 pot and average the two readings.  this is why the FRS500 was so under powered when EVO did the test on it.

so it seems the dyno operators have been wrong.  maybe this is the reason for the focus RS reading low on alot of dyno's

this is quoted from evo's website

You may remember that a few weeks back I stuck a new Focus RS500 on a rolling road and the outcome wasn't that impressive - just 326.7bhp, some 20bhp short of the actual claim.
We put the story up on the website, Ford got to hear about it and it caused a bit of a kerfuffle. They wanted to know exactly how the test had been conducted, ambient temperature, etc, etc. Anyway, turns out they had a point - when we ran the original test the dyno had been set-up to calculate losses based on a four cylinder engine, while the Focus RS has five cylinders. To compensate for that you have to do two runs on the rolling road, one in 4 cylinder mode, the other in six, then average the two. Hands up for the cock up first time round - all my fault.

So yesterday I took the exact same Focus RS back to DMS Automotive and ran the tests again. Just to check Ford hadn't had a tinker with EJ10 OAP (unfortunate numberplate...) we ran the 4cyl test again and got 326.5bhp, an all but identical result.
We switched to 6cyl mode, which increases the resistance through the rollers, and expected to see a small gain, but little more. However...

So if you are an RS500 owner, you can now boast about you car nearly having the power it's claimed to - averaged out the RS500 develops 337bhp against a claim of 345bhp. But that's by the by really, the RS500, just like every other Focus RS, remains a pretty tremendous thing and feels like it has every one of the 345 it's meant to have.  
Oh, one more thing. Last time we stuck a video up of the rolling road run and loads of you wanted to know how much power the RS500 was developing at the wheels. So here's another video with the result on it. The first figure you see is in 4cyl mode, the second is the 6cyl run.  

Ahh yeah, thanks for reminding me  :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:00 pm »
I'm gona pop down 2 have a watch lol.... Were's the cafe hedge ??

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=old+school+cafe&l=1

Offline Becca88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 07:59:25 pm »
Steve, im sure if you tell them I said they would let you haha!

Offline Becca88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »
Looks like i wont be able to make this after all, isn't work a marvelous thing!!!  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:
Gutted isnt the word!  :sad1:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:25 am »
so see everyone at the cafe about half 8?  :party:

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2011, 09:07:42 am »
so is it only me SKAVIA and Thor on the rollers guys? anyone else?!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2011, 09:24:59 am »
sorry fella its autosport as well this weekend so can't make it

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2011, 09:30:09 am »
sorry fella its autosport as well this weekend so can't make it

no worries andy thanks for letting us know  :happy2: