Make a donation

Author Topic: Experienced Modders - would you agree with this direction to take car in?  (Read 12187 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Hi guys, as some of my earlier posts said my ED 30 bought in September is first car have modded.

Have gone Revo Stg 1 already and wanted to upgrade other bits before considering going Stg 2 or maybe miss it out and go straight 2+!

Was looking at this rough order as cant afford big brake conversion yet and getting WALK fitted on NYE

1.) WALK and then Bilstein B12 (PDT looking into this for me at mo)
2.) Ferodo DS2500 on for now and then VWR/R32/Movit big brakes in future or hopefully a Dave B kit if he doing them then!
3.) VWR/Sachs clutch with VWR/Peloquin LSD and VWR engine mounts.

Would then move to Stg 2+ with intercooler, hpfp, tbe, intake etc and would then look at taking on track and buying a runabout also for tootling to work etc.

Have i missed any essential items off to enable me to get most out of car as is a standard 5 dr model?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Experienced Modders - would you agree with this direction to take car in?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:39:04 pm »
Hi guys, as some of my earlier posts said my ED 30 bought in September is first car have modded.

Have gone Revo Stg 1 already and wanted to upgrade other bits before considering going Stg 2 or maybe miss it out and go straight 2+!

Was looking at this rough order as cant afford big brake conversion yet and getting WALK fitted on NYE

1.) WALK and then Bilstein B12 (PDT looking into this for me at mo) If you are going on track then you also need anti roll bars(best handlling mod IMO).  Also look into the TT lower control arms as these will increase your cornering grip by a large margin
2.) Ferodo DS2500 on for now and then VWR/R32/Movit big brakes in future or hopefully a Dave B kit if he doing them then! If your fitting bigger front brakes then also consider the S3 rears as well.  it wil help balance the car under breaking better
3.) VWR/Sachs clutch with VWR/Peloquin LSD and VWR engine mounts. VWR mounts seem pretty expensive as our most things with their name on them.  JKM have much cheaper options on their site.  http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsimotormounts.htm#tfsi

Would then move to Stg 2+ with intercooler, hpfp, tbe, intake etc and would then look at taking on track and buying a runabout also for tootling to work etc.

Have i missed any essential items off to enable me to get most out of car as is a standard 5 dr model?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:43:33 pm »
imo id just go straight to stage 2+ as you already have the map, i wouldnt bother with handling and brakes untill youve done the performance mods. So id go with a milltek/blueflame turbo back exhaust, then forge twintake/ EVOMS etc etc, FMIC, you can get a few different ones, i think THS is the best but the s3 cooler works just fine, then get the HPFP and map accordingly,

once you have your 350bhp, you soon see what other parts need to be upgraded to cope  :wink:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:47 pm »
I've chosen the THS engine mounts over the likes of vwr and BSH, due to our car also has to be used daily as yours. they (THS) are a compromise of the very trackoriented options and the sluggish OEM ones.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:30 pm »
imo id just go straight to stage 2+ as you already have the map, i wouldnt bother with handling and brakes untill youve done the performance mods. So id go with a milltek/blueflame turbo back exhaust, then forge twintake/ EVOMS etc etc, FMIC, you can get a few different ones, i think THS is the best but the s3 cooler works just fine, then get the HPFP and map accordingly,

once you have your 350bhp, you soon see what other parts need to be upgraded to cope  :wink:

On the contrary, I would do the handling mods before the power mods - no point having power and not having traction, stable chassis and brakes to boot. Having Stage 2+ power can undermine your health if you do not have brakes to match, but it depends what type of work out the car is going to have. Any track work?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:17:18 pm by DomT »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 02:18:41 pm »
^^^^^ X2

As the saying goes power is nothing without control.

Having invested a considerable amount of money tuning my vRS if I were doing it all again it would be Stage 1 followed by brakes, suspension, other handling (ARB's, ALK, Diff etc) in that order. What those mods were would depend on the use of the car. As i never track the car i wouldn't have anything track focused if it made day to day driving unbearable  Then after that I would look at upping power and things like engine mounts etc.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:01:55 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:59:38 pm »
thanks for your input people, will check out JKM engine mounts etc. I MAY want to go on track but like vrs carl's motor i may decide not to depending on family circs so will potentially just be after a well sorted road car.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=96q527qh7nh5fsr91vsf8vd4or&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:05:40 pm »
x3... if you know your going BIG power, get the car setup first with brakes, ARBs suspension etc etc, then when you get the power youll be laughing!

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 03:11:47 pm »
^^^^ x4

I think the ED30's brakes are well below par for the power even at stock

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:49:01 pm »
id say get your WALK on and some pads, then get suspension, an intake/ HPFP and keep it on stage 1 until you save for the turbo back system :happy2:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 03:56:21 pm »
If you stick the walk on you need the geometry sorting.  Then when you change the suspension it needs doing again.  do them both the same time and save some money

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:08:14 pm »
my geometry was fine when i had the walk and mount done  :happy2:

you need it setting up with suspension tho deffo
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 04:28:26 pm »
If you stick the walk on you need the geometry sorting.  Then when you change the suspension it needs doing again.  do them both the same time and save some money

spoke to awesome and they said the geometry might need adjusting but not in every case.

doh - did not realise would need to have it redone as bilstein kit not going on at same time  :stupid:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 04:29:33 pm »
I agree with getting the suspension and brakes done first. Then once you have the mapping sorted go for some Toyo R1R's for summer/track useage - awesome tyre and will make your car much safer and faster around the track :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 04:48:28 pm »

once you have your 350bhp, you soon see what other parts need to be upgraded to cope  :wink:

On the contrary, I would do the handling mods before the power mods - no point having power and not having traction, stable chassis and brakes to boot. Having Stage 2+ power can undermine your health if you do not have brakes to match, but it depends what type of work out the car is going to have. Any track work?

I totally aggree, but imo id prefere to start on one part then finish it, then start on the next, so start with susspension (brushes, coilovers, arb's lower arms etc etc) then engine, then brakes, and so on. Thats how im doing my R, just consentrating on one part then moving onto the next. also with 350bhp on std brakes will soon be changed.  :jumpmove:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,