Make a donation

Author Topic: Experienced Modders - would you agree with this direction to take car in?  (Read 12193 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Experienced Modders - would you agree with this direction to take car in?
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2010, 10:48:44 pm »
I'm not making ARB's out to be the definitive Mod as they aren't. However they do help.

I have Koni FSD and Eibach Springs on my vRS. When I first put the Eibach ARB's (I did both F&R at the same time) on my car I noticed a difference. The car was definately flatter in corners, the understeer was less and required less feathering of the throttle to control. I was able to push the car approx 5mph faster in a corner (on roads I know like the back of my hand) with the ARB's fitted before it would start to lose grip. So it's not a massive difference but it does help. I would class it as more of a stability mod really.

But this is just my opinion based on my experience. Just as yours is based on your experience.  :drinking:

Merry Xmas  :santa: :xmaspresent:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:51:59 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2010, 10:53:58 pm »
I'm not making ARB's out to be the definitive Mod as they aren't. However they do help.

Agree with that. Pretty sure when pushing it on a track they are going to help, but in my experience, time and money is better spent on shocks and springs first.

Merry Christmas to you lads too  :xmassmiley:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »
turning into an interesting discussion now! am taking it all on board and as vrs carl says have to make own decisions. am a little concerned that horace thinks the WALK was a waste of money seeing as having it fitted on fri.... :confused:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 03:34:04 pm »
The addition of ARB's and the amount that they will help drasticly depends on the choice of other suspension components. My first suspension kit on the ed30 was an Eibach coilover setup, they were far too soft and needed ARB's to lebel out the body roll, the Bilstein B12 kit that I replaced them with was 10x better and no need for ARB's. In fact it feels better than some mk5's I have driven that have every handling mod possible fitted and its still extremely comfy.

Suspension mods should be well thought out, not all components will work well together, its easy to ruin a cars handling by just bashing on every option available.

If I keep the car, I will be fitting a diff, continuing to fit good tyres and keep trying to work out a way to control the factory traction system manually via some sort of adjustable in-car module....... Still working on that one though! 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 04:17:29 pm »

and keep trying to work out a way to control the factory traction system manually via some sort of adjustable in-car module....... Still working on that one though! 

....Keep us posted on that one!  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »
I've chosen the THS engine mounts over the likes of vwr and BSH, due to our car also has to be used daily as yours. they (THS) are a compromise of the very trackoriented options and the sluggish OEM ones.

have just bought these off h4rdy, seems like a sensible mod to get done now
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1