Make a donation

Author Topic: AP Racing vs VW Racing Brakes  (Read 55147 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: AP Racing vs VW Racing Brakes
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:42 am »
Yup, 400+VAT for rotors, and that's with my discount. That said, they lasted 20k and that was with hard pads and lots of trackdays.

Pads £160-200, seal kit £22, bobbin & bolt kit £100.

In fact, I still have a spare set of rotors and 2 sets of pads....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:43:20 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 10:42:35 am »
Reading through some of the posts here, but not all, I can only add a summarised opinion really.

For me, AP are the best bang for buck brakes out there, full stop. I went round the Ring in a 500+ bhp BMW 335i modded by a guy who is SO, SO serious about mods that he was actually used by BMW to test their own 'Performance' brake upgrade on the Ring (he destroyed them, cracking in a piston on the first day.) He has AP's on his car and they worked perfectly on lap after hot lap at the Ring. Why pay more, for less?

I can't comment on VWR, so no idea what their product is, but I can't see how it could be much better (if at all) and unless it's cheaper, it would be a no brainer for me.

In respect of my own Stage 2+ car I have R32 brakes that cost me 300 bells. They stop the car easily and don't cook or fade on fast road driving so that's good enough. They are bloody heavy though and I expect the Ring would see them fading in less than a couple of laps. If I tracked more than once or twice a blue moon, I'd have AP's.

Matt

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 10:47:59 am »

It also breaks my heart to see KW V3's with S3/R32 brakes hanging off them......

.... :surprised:  But it didn't break your heart to sell me some S3/R32 brakes to hang off my KW V3 rears!  :confused:

I'm very happy with the overall braking balance they have given though.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 10:52:23 am »
Trouble is, 360mm 6-pot APs are faaar too overkill for a Golf.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 10:53:55 am »

Trouble is, 360mm 6-pot APs are faaar too overkill for a Golf.

....Agreed and why I took AP's advice and got their 4-pot version.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:33 am »

It also breaks my heart to see KW V3's with S3/R32 brakes hanging off them......

.... :surprised:  But it didn't break your heart to sell me some S3/R32 brakes to hang off my KW V3 rears!  :confused:

Im sure you're fully aware that I was referring to the fronts Robin, rears will be an extra 3-4kg per axle, maybe I should have clarified.

I agree really about the AP 360mm kits , I did some 362mm AP fronts for Steve P and for a 500BHP Turbo R32  - which considering the extra weight and available corner entry speeds of the R32 then they probably make sense

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:49 am »

Im sure you're fully aware that I was referring to the fronts Robin, rears will be an extra 3-4kg per axle, maybe I should have clarified.

....I hoped you were referring to the fronts but it wasn't clear and so I thought it best to mention  :drinking:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »
All I know is cars with the Vwr brakes set some of the best lap times last season and that was from independent race teams so they must be good at stopping  :smiley: but it's like anything you have to drive a car with the brakes you want on before you hand over your ££££ and make your own mind up.

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
Good news!!!! :jumping:

Matt just emailed me that Pagid RS29 fit VWR brakes!!!! :happy2:
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:49 pm »
I would either skim or emery your discs prior to fitting the RS's if you have been running DS2500, they interact with the disc in a very different way.

You may end up with some vibration first time out.

When we spoke you were Monaco/Nice area....I'd fit the RS29's and leave them in

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 10:34:10 pm »
And drive your car into the ground to bed them in (hopefully).  :innocent:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »
Just requested some prices for the RS4 B5 brakes from a dealer and they seem lower than expected. He quoted me 200 Euro/caliper and 100 Euro/disc. Disc would lead to 600 Euro for the calipers and discs (remember we're talking about new parts). What do you guys think ? Do the calipers come red by default ? From what I know, the RS4 360mm discs come in 2 versions : a 1 piece plain version wich is probably heavier (I suppose he gave me the price for this one) and a 2-oiece drilled version wich should be more expensive from audi quattr. Can anyone confirm there are 2 versions as I said ? If yes, how much can the 2-piece version cost ?
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 11:20:52 am »
Ok, the codes I've got are :

8E0 615 123 B - left caliper > 200 Euro
8E0 615 124 B - right caliper > 200 Euro
8E0 615 301 T > the plain discs > 100 Euro/pc

Anyone knows if these are the correct codes ? What about the codes for the drilled 2-piece discs from Audi Quattro (price, code, weight as compared to normal ones)? Do the calipers come in red colour (doesn't say in Etka)?
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 07:44:25 pm »
No idea!
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2011, 10:54:29 am »
Just requested some prices for the RS4 B5 brakes from a dealer and they seem lower than expected. He quoted me 200 Euro/caliper and 100 Euro/disc. Disc would lead to 600 Euro for the calipers and discs (remember we're talking about new parts). What do you guys think ? Do the calipers come red by default ? From what I know, the RS4 360mm discs come in 2 versions : a 1 piece plain version wich is probably heavier (I suppose he gave me the price for this one) and a 2-oiece drilled version wich should be more expensive from audi quattr. Can anyone confirm there are 2 versions as I said ? If yes, how much can the 2-piece version cost ?

Sounds great, my discs are very light considering the size, lighter than the smaller R32 set up. My discs have the lighter alu bell, but they are not drilled like you suggest. I remember correctly the cost to replace my discs is 300 uk pounds, so it sounds like you have found a great price, and you will be sending me some discs for Christmas.  :laugh: