Make a donation

Author Topic: AP Racing vs VW Racing Brakes  (Read 55136 times)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
Re: AP Racing vs VW Racing Brakes
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
Yes, if we look at the pic it's definately the old S3 but I see often over the ebay pics representing something else so I just wanted to be sure. In the meantime, I've checked on compbrake page and the kits are 850 pounds there. I wonder how good could they be, knowing the big names are twice that ! Compbrake has also an unusual disc thickness of 32mm for only 330 in diameter. Most others are 330x28mm.
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline Halvie

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 05:49:11 pm »
Does anyone know for sure if the s3 bbk kits will fit a gti that has s3 knuckles? Can't seem to get an answer out of any of the companies, and not finding any cars who have done this.

Would the Brembo TT 355x32 kit also work with s3 knuckles? Brembo doesn't really have any s3 kits in sizes I am interested in.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:59:13 pm by Halvie »

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2012, 11:12:46 pm »
Yes, if you have S3 spindles you even NEED the S3 kit.

Sadly I don't know if TT kits fit.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Halvie

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2012, 11:21:25 pm »
Yes, if you have S3 spindles you even NEED the S3 kit.

Sadly I don't know if TT kits fit.

Yeah, I have passat spindles with the 328mm 2-piece brembo kit now. Caliper carriers needed to be modified to fit. Want to swap to a kit that doesn't require that. Annoying how hard it is to come by any reliable info for this.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2012, 05:18:10 am »
Does anyone know for sure if the s3 bbk kits will fit a gti that has s3 knuckles? Can't seem to get an answer out of any of the companies, and not finding any cars who have done this.

Would the Brembo TT 355x32 kit also work with s3 knuckles? Brembo doesn't really have any s3 kits in sizes I am interested in.

TT and GTI swaps parts but S3 is another adaptor as it's 15mm wider where the carriers sits on the hub.  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Halvie

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:18 am »

TT and GTI swaps parts but S3 is another adaptor as it's 15mm wider where the carriers sits on the hub.  :smiley:

So basically as long as I have the passat (s3 is the exact same part number I believe: 3C0 407 253 F) knuckle the tt brembo bbk should work without needing any modification to the carrier? Just want to make sure before ordering. Could be an expensive mistake. The s3 and tt knuckles are both aluminum, but the tt will widen track width, so I don't know if that will cause any issues.

I plan on selling the brembo kit I have now to a friend and buying either the 6 pot or 4 pot TT kit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:29:11 am by Halvie »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:51 am »
S3/Cupra hub thickness

TT/GTI hub Thickness

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2012, 11:55:24 am »

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
If the carrier sits on the outer face of the hub should a BBK not be suitable for S3/GTI/TT ? Like the S3/r32 setup?

If it sits on the inner face of the hub then there will obviously be issues with different lug thickness.

I have a New BBK im thinking of selling and its designed for the S3 hubs/spindles. The carriers mount on the outer faces on the hub. Should this not be suitable for S3 and GTI?
GOLF R Mk7

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »
If the carrier sits on the outer face of the hub should a BBK not be suitable for S3/GTI/TT ? Like the S3/r32 setup?

If it sits on the inner face of the hub then there will obviously be issues with different lug thickness.

I have a New BBK im thinking of selling and its designed for the S3 hubs/spindles. The carriers mount on the outer faces on the hub. Should this not be suitable for S3 and GTI?

Yes Jon, the outer side is the same. Trouble is most BBK has larger pistons/pistons on the outside of the disc and are therefore pushed further under the car to allow for rims to stay inside fenders  :wink:

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2012, 05:49:38 pm »
Ah gotcha  :happy2:

So they are usually mounted on the rear of the hub to allow clearance between the calipers and the wheels.
And a kit that mounts on the front of the hub should be suitable for s3+GTI+TT
GOLF R Mk7

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2012, 10:49:29 pm »
The Alcon BBk that i have fits on every type of hub because the carrier sits between the hub and disc. The rotor has 32mm thickness, it fits behind OEM R wheels with only 1mm of spacer.
I must say i am really impressed with this bbk

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »
The 330mm XYZ kit that I have also fits on every type of hub as this also fits on the Disc side of the hub. The rotors are also 32mm thick and they fit behind OEM Cupra TFSI wheels with no spacer and a full 6mm clearance.
GOLF R Mk7

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2012, 08:40:48 am »
Yeah def if mounted on the outer face of the hub then they will.fit all.hubs....but the steel.gti hubs.have.a.couple.of lugs.sticking out that hopefully is taken.into account.

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »

If I could give any advice, it would be to steer clear of VW Racing. They have been absolutely hopeless in my experience.

....Ah well, that hasn't been my experience of them over a period of several years.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!