Make a donation

Author Topic: Autotech HPFP failure  (Read 43600 times)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Autotech HPFP failure
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:38:07 pm »
I hate to say it given all the positive experiences in more recent days but my HPFP with Autotech internals has failed. I went to check the oil level today and the dipstick stank of petrol instead of oil.  For those that understand the mechanics of the pump, failures are not just about the pump piston seizing or warping or the increased spring pressure stressing the cam lobe / cam follower but rather the dual-diameter design to the piston and the possibility that fuel may get behind the wider area of the piston, sit in the cavity of the narrower part of the piston and then forcing fuel against the stock seals of the HPFP on the return stroke. When the seals fail, fuel gets into the engine.

I was a little suspicious that something wasn't quite right and would give the oil a sniff from time to time but there was never any evidence of a problem. My previous remap did not request the full fuel rail pressure across the revs that the pump could produce. A more recent remap to compliment a turbo upgrade requested the full 130bar and I believe this was too much for those seals   :sad1:

Just to be clear, this post is not intended to be any kind of APR vs. Autotech / KMD / etc rant.  It is simply to point out that failures can still happen and to recommend the occasional sniff of your dipstick (ahem   :grin:  )

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Autotech HPFP failure
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »
Bummer. So new pump on the way and an oil change?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:42:47 pm »
thredders mate.  APR pump it is then, and another  setback for the LSD/sachs id imagine

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:43:36 pm »
would a new seal not suffice??   :scared:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »
Bummer. So new pump on the way and an oil change?

You got it Ian...and £££s for a APR pump!  :surprised:

Luckily, I am only 10 mins from JKM so I topped up with some fresh oil and tip-toed down there. Unfortunately they have been selling a lot of these and didn't have any in stock so I left the car with them as I'm not taking any chances with that one!

Sy - you are right, the first thing I thought was that I will have to get the credit card out for this one and the Quaife will have to wait a little longer

TBH Danish, you are probably right but I was not aware that the seals could be got separately from the OEM pump. In any case, I'd rather not take a chance. I believe APR uprate the seals as part of their rebuild
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:49:32 pm by muckipup »

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:52:52 pm »
So how much is the APR HPFP going to set you back? Also, are there any other companies that make HPFP?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:56:07 pm by swf7y »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:54:07 pm »
not cheap, i know that

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 06:10:09 pm »
So how much is the APR HPFP going to set you back? Also, are there any other companies that make HPFP?

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsipumps.htm

763£ for the APR pump all new.

KMD and AWE makes pump internals too, but APR is the only company to assemble and test the pump before they ship it to costumers.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:28:30 pm »
So did the pump or the seal fail?

If its the seal then its not really caused by the autotech internals as such, more the actual map requesting the higher pressure. Personally I woukd replace the seal and its job done, no need to spend an extra £700+ on a new pump!

I have some spare pump components if there is anything specific that you need.  :smiley: 

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:32:53 pm »
have you seen many seals failing?

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 06:37:19 pm »
What sort of damage could this have led to if you didn't spot it? As your average joe bloggs doesn't sniff there dipstick
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 06:40:26 pm »
Never seen any fail, must be quite rare and possibly an installation problem. Did come accross a seal where a customer had tried a DIY fitting but didnt lubricate the main seal on the 18mm retaining nut and it had torn as he tightened it in, easy fix though as its a standard size o-ring.

Internal kits are simple to fit but the slightest mistake can be costly so we advise that its left to someone with experience to strip and re-fit.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 06:42:08 pm »
What sort of damage could this have led to if you didn't spot it? As your average joe bloggs doesn't sniff there dipstick

Fuel getting into oil and vice versa.

Oil in fuel can cause poor combustion, fuel in oil can cause oil to thin and not protect the engine sufficiently, oil level can get too high.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 06:59:22 pm »
I read an article recently which said that the fuel pump is proving to be a failing component on older cars.  Did you have a reasonable mileage on the car?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline cupra_k1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 07:13:23 pm »
Can anybody confirm that the seals in the fuel pump can actually be replaced and if so, part numbers would be handy!  :smiley: