Make a donation

Author Topic: Autotech HPFP failure  (Read 43603 times)

Offline cupra_k1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Autotech HPFP failure
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »
Maybe this is the one?

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 07:33:55 pm »
I read an article recently which said that the fuel pump is proving to be a failing component on older cars.  Did you have a reasonable mileage on the car?

Yes, I am at 56k miles. I should say that I have been running the Autotech internals for about 20k miles without any problem - definitely no or, at least, undetectable fuel smell in the oil during this time. The difference is the rail pressure in the past 2 weeks - it is now consistent and high which it was not before (I had a minor running issue with a previous 'developmental' map I was running which often requested lower than stock rail pressure).

I haven't had confirmation of what has gone wrong but it almost certain that it is the OEM pump seal that has failed rather than the Autotech internals per se. I should also say that I fitted these internals myself - although I was meticulous and have a garage full of the proper gear, I don't claim to be an expert. So, in short, I am in no way finger pointing. However, I think it is important to consider that the design of the Autotech internals might cause an issue indirectly if the seal was weak. I found this on JKM's website which probably explains it better than I could here:  http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/Misc/Misc_Performance_pictures/APR%20Pump/tech/pumpimages/Visio3_big.jpg

Thanks PDT for explaining what petrol in the engine oil does (i.e. you definitely don't want it!) and for keeping my little problem in perspective of the many who haven't had an issue....I still recommend sniffing your dipstick though  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:35:46 pm by muckipup »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 07:43:18 pm »
I read an article recently which said that the fuel pump is proving to be a failing component on older cars.  Did you have a reasonable mileage on the car?

is this with reference to the OEM pump or the uprated autotech?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 07:43:58 pm »
I read an article recently which said that the fuel pump is proving to be a failing component on older cars.  Did you have a reasonable mileage on the car?

i read something similar, looking into it further it seemed the issue wasnt the fuel pump as such but the cam follower wear issue that subsequently can take the fuel pump out at the same time.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »
http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/Misc/Misc_Performance_pictures/APR%20Pump/tech/pumpimages/Visio3_big.jpg

looking at this it seems that the common failure then is the seal and not the autotech internals.  Maybe a good idea for guys with the pump to just replace the seal periodically say every 24km or something just to be on the safe side

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »
http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/Misc/Misc_Performance_pictures/APR%20Pump/tech/pumpimages/Visio3_big.jpg

looking at this it seems that the common failure then is the seal and not the autotech internals.  Maybe a good idea for guys with the pump to just replace the seal periodically say every 24km or something just to be on the safe side

That is my understanding too although I think a lot of folks think about the 30% (I think) increase spring pressure on the cam follower / cam lobe and the mechanical failure that could occur rather than the OEM seals that remain after Autotech internals are fitted. I believe APR do non-OEM seals as part of the build.

However, even taking the pump apart to replace the seal introduces a risk of error if there is no evidence of failure / smelly dipsticks beforehand

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »
I don't think there are any replaceable parts on the pump (With VAG part numbers).  New pumps are around £130 so I guess that's the cheapest option.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 08:37:27 pm »
I don't think there are any replaceable parts on the pump (With VAG part numbers).  New pumps are around £130 so I guess that's the cheapest option.

I agree with you there Stu. Perhaps fitting the old internals to a new HPFP would do it and still half the cost of an APR. If it failed again then the economics of the APR pump starts looking less atrocious. In my case, my car is stranded at JKM and I'd have to turn up at JKM with some plastic sheeting, a socket set and a brass neck to refit this in the road outside (as JKM don't do this service any more). I'll dig deep and go with an APR pump...when it comes in  :ashamed:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 08:44:25 pm »
Don't get me wrong I think the APR pump is the better solution.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 09:20:44 pm »
Don't get me wrong I think the APR pump is the better solution.

I'd agree there  :wink:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 10:05:28 pm »
smugness is a cruel ally to have carl :grin:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 10:13:40 pm »
smugness is a cruel ally to have carl :grin:
:signLOL:

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 11:37:37 pm »
Sorry to hear about this problem muckipup.

I would like to understand two things:

1.  This link from JKM you posted (http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/Misc/Misc_Performance_pictures/APR%20Pump/tech/pumpimages/Visio3_big.jpg) seems to imply that stepped pistons will put more pressure on the the fuel pump seals than a non stepped piston.  Is this correct?

2.  I would like some more information on how often the seals have been failing and whether APR does upgrade the seal or use the OEM one.  I would like to know if I should change my seal after x number of miles?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:54:13 pm by KRL »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 11:39:36 pm »
You cannot change the seal AFAIK, it certainly isn't listed by VAG, maybe you could source it 3rd party or from Hitachi but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

APR do change the seal.
Stu...

Offline Timmyboy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 11:49:58 pm »
Just out of interest Dave, have you been changing your follower?