Make a donation

Author Topic: Rant about tyre fitters!  (Read 3657 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Rant about tyre fitters!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 09:35:10 am »
I usually pay £10 per corner in a local tyre place with guys I fully trust. Recommend them to anyone gils in Colston Road Glasgow  :happy2:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 09:50:16 am »
Hi-q have always charged me £10 a tyre for my car or £15 for the other halfs runflats as the are harder to fit

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 10:48:55 am »
I recently had 4 tyres fitted for a tenner a corner as well, i actually mentioned to the guy that they were the cheapest by far than anyone else around, highest place quoting £30 per corner to fit a tyre!
I asked him why thats the case and he said its to try stop people from buying cheap online and then just going to tyre placers for fitting as they dont really make any money from it
Ant

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 03:28:51 pm »
I recently had 4 tyres fitted for a tenner a corner as well, i actually mentioned to the guy that they were the cheapest by far than anyone else around, highest place quoting £30 per corner to fit a tyre!
I asked him why thats the case and he said its to try stop people from buying cheap online and then just going to tyre placers for fitting as they dont really make any money from it

And that's exactly what's happening. Until all the online tyre retailers cornered the market (including ebay) you used to be able to get a tyre mounted for about five to seven quid, not it's at least double that if not considerably more.
There is a place around the corner from me who will still do them for a tenner each, cash in hand, but they seem to be the exception to the rule round these parts.
I don't see how the size of the wheel comes into it really, it's the same length of time labour wise, you use about the same number of wheel weights and the same amount of air pressure no matter what size wheels you're dealing with. The only issues I can see is the marking of diamond cut alloys being a perennial problem, but many VAG wheels have at least a diamond cut rim so we just can't escape that little issue.
Andy
7R

Offline mattyw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »
the thing is though if you were to buy your tyres from somewhere like kwik-fit you would be shelling out the best part of £1000 for a set of tyres

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 06:55:08 am »
the thing is though if you were to buy your tyres from somewhere like kwik-fit you would be shelling out the best part of £1000 for a set of tyres
:confused:

Really?

I paid £600 in total for four PS2 and fitment. I did them in pairs at separate times of the year. No marks on the rims from fitment. All from my local Kwik-Fit!

Even blackcircles want £605 for supply and fitting, or £545 for supply only.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.