Make a donation

Author Topic: Classic Cars  (Read 981 times)

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Classic Cars
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:54:46 pm »
For those who are interested in classic cars, i thought I would convey an interesting tale.

Few years ago my grandad (who's a big car person) sold his AC Cobra and wanted something different so foolishly bought a TVR Griffith 500. However, being an engineering man and having built a number of Triumphs previously, he thought he would again embark on the car building journey at the same time as having the TVR. So he ended up buying the bare chassis of a Riley Special (1930s sports car).

A year or two later (i can't remember how long) he had managed to build the car completely and it looked mint. Unfortunately, soon after he and my Gran decided to move to Spain so he sold the Riley.

The interesting part comes when I found out (don't know why i didn't know previously), that the car had been sold to an American in California and was winning all kinds of classic car awards at shows and meets and that the car was on the internet, see link below:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z12518/Riley-BAJ-15/6.aspx

The other neat little thing was that I found out it'd been sold for £200,000!!!! I know what sort of car I will be making in a few years...!

Anyway, thought there might be some people interested in such things! :)
Candy

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Re: Classic Cars
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:29 pm »
 :notworthy: Awesome! Get him building another!!

Offline Aaron_RJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:24:50 pm »
cool nice result
2007 GTI | 18'' Monzas |Xenons|Highline|MFSW|Lux pack| Factory Tints |Cruise control
Mods: VWR Quickshift |Forge DV |Autotech HPFP| Sportlines | |Goodrich hoses |Milltek non res TBE | Stage 2 map | Custom CAI

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »
My uncle restores show winning rileys  :smiley: