Make a donation

Author Topic: Non Charging ipod  (Read 1973 times)

Offline mattypgolf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Non Charging ipod
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:21:16 pm »
My ipod does not seem to be charging up while car is on but plays music through the car just fine,,Any ideas?

Regards Matt
TR dsg, stage 1 r-tec map, bbs ch in gloss black, black roof and badges, colour coded, neuspeed hybrid intake, cat back exhaust..

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Non Charging ipod
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:01 am »
What version ipod?

The latest generation uses a different charging pin to the earlier versions. You can buy an adapter to allow charging.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:35:22 am »
dammm great thread lol.
 i just replaced my old nano with my daughters newer one and i have a dension cradle and it wont charge.... will this be available to me?
thanks
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:59:16 am »
Ipods used to support firewire and USB charging, which both used different pins on the apple connector.  At some point apple decided to drop firewire charging to simplify hardware and software and there fore left a number of after market accessories unable to charge newer ipods the switch was about the time that the ipod touch and newer metal nanos came out. 

In VW equipment terms that means that the older style ipod adapter that behaves like a cd changer wont charge the newer ipods, not heard of these adapters that allow charging but would be interested in a link.  As old Bose equipment used firewire so I'm currently stuck with my old ipod video in the sound dock portable  :fighting:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline tonto83

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:18:02 pm »

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:47:31 pm »
thanks for the info and the linka- will be ordering one of these babies lol.

and if i can prolong the thread op please. my gf has mk4 gti anniv with original stereo- she wants to use my nano but what is the easiest way(and cheapest) to get it so she can get this to work??
or is it just a new stereo unit with ipod facility?
thank you
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"