Make a donation

Author Topic: New member - GTI owner - Sheffield  (Read 4239 times)

Offline richardgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New member - GTI owner - Sheffield
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:41:04 am »
Thought it about time i joined this fabulous resource that i have been using since late last year.

Can i just say how pleasant it is to find a well used, well respected forum about the GTI. No surprise there are so many enthusiastic members when the site is like it is - I spend a lot of time online researching for my job and spend a lot of time in and out of forums looking for tips/tricks and advice etc. and i wish they were all like this one!

Owned the Golf now for 2+ years and i can honestly say - short of spending £30k+ on something else there is nothing that interests me - think that’s a good thing! Especially as me and the missus are getting hitched this year  :happy2:  (Chief & Commander won’t let me spend £30k+ on anything!)

I got the GTI (standard, 5dr, manual) remapped last year at JBS Autos in chesterfield with a Custom Code map - some people i have spoken to said that it wasn't my best move and proceeded to tell me to get it taken off or have another more reputable map put on the car like Revo or Bluefin. Are their concerns and advice warranted? It's just i got all panicked that the engine might go pop soon...

http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_18_60_96&products_id=1198 Also - anyone seen these? Anyone using them? Thought they looked like a good alternative to replacing the fogs as DRL's.

Well that's me for now - if anyone sees me around Sheffield give me a flash - reg: 9 RCC  (black 5 door GTI)

Cheers - Richard

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: New member - GTI owner - Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:45:42 am »
welcome to the forum :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:55:12 am »
Welcome Rich, There is a long thread on here about those DRL's easily spotted as I think last time I saw it it was over 13 pages deep, it includes pictures of them on and how to wire them in so that the circuitry dims the lights according to light use.

Post some pictures up when you get the chance I always like to see a nice DBP 5 door GTI, best colour and door option in my opinion but then i'm biased!  :grin:

heres the thread http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20738.0.html  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:57:55 am by Richn83 »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline richardgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:26:47 am »
Ha - having just read the 14 page thread - not quite plug and play are they!
Mind you anything worth doing generally isn't easy.

The next thing I wan't to do is add MFSW - would come in really handy after fitting an RNS510 to be able to adjust volume and tracks from the wheel instead of reaching forward and pressing buttons  :grin:
However I understand from other posts that without highline (only have midline  :sad1:) that it may not be possible to change tracks? Only volume might work? I also understand that without having DSG that I may have to change my steering wheel control module.
Could turn out to be expensive - might be cheaper to swap for an Edition 30!

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:43:14 am »
Welcome, very nice sounding GTI you have their.
Would recommend posting some pictures. Everyone likes pictures.

Can't comment on your JBS map as we don't have them in New Zealand.
I'm running APR, I'm over the moon with it. Mainly the service the offered.

Awesome drop ties with APR last year and now do Revo.
So I'm guessing go with Revo.
2 bonus I see with either, you get to disable and enable map at will.
APR much faster thou.

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
  • Build it.. don't buy it!!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:06 am »
Welcome  :happy2:
I have ETKA and ELSA - Happy to help if anyone needs anything. Instagram - @f11tvw

Rotiform VCE's : US Spec Rear Bumper : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : De-Wipered : Revo Stage 2+ Map : Revo Intake : Revo throttle pipe : THS Intercooler : K04 Conversion : Milltek Cat Back + Pipwerx Decat : Sachs Stage 3 Organic clutch + Single mass flywheel : Quaife ATB Differential : S3 Brakes + Vagbremtechnic discs : Full SuperPro Bushes : SuperPro ARB

Offline richardgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:45 am »
Thanks everyone - can anyone shed any light on how i may be able to reply to a post in the 'For Sale' section. There is a member in there selling the rear footwell light loom and lights i wouldnt might getting in touch with to get some ordered .  However being a noob it will not allow me to contact him. Post is:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21368.0.html

Oh and I'll get it washed and get some pics up this weekend. (weather permitting)

Thanks.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:07:55 am »
I have just personal messaged the guy selling the lights and looms Rich with a link to this thread.

You are right about the MFSW buttons if you go for the new ones then the skipping function doesnt work unless you are in the highline music section so your stuck reaching for the buttons on the stereo.  New buttons are the ones with the single telephone button, cant comment on the old style two telephone buttons.

Rich

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline richardgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:30:55 am »
Rich - thanks for that, much appreciated. It's a devil not being able to message anyone until you've got so many posts.

Offline Gtikenny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 05:47:57 pm »
Hi and welcome along  :happy2:

Offline bart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »
welcome to the forum man
Tornado red ed 30,dsg,rcd 510,milltek de cat tbe,walk kit,kw v3,revo stage 2+,dsg stage 2+,hpfp,itg cai

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:01:46 am »
Hello and welcome to the dark side.............................. :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:29:51 am »
Hi and welcome.

Remember to put up some pics or better still, start a thread in the Members' Rides section  :happy2:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 12:05:21 pm »
Hi & welcome mate.

Would recommend posting some pictures. Everyone likes pictures.

+1  :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline damo666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:39:25 pm »
Hi mate n welcome :wink:
will look out for ya as I work in Sheffield :grin: