Make a donation

Author Topic: New GTI Owner... Little Help Please  (Read 6636 times)

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
New GTI Owner... Little Help Please
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:58:27 pm »
Ok, so I've just got my GTI, loving the car, but I have a smallish (I hope) problem with it.

Firstly, when I turn the car on theres a yellow steering wheel icon lit up on the dash, and it doesnt ever go out. It was off last night for a short period of time, but this morning it came back on.
I've searched the forum but cant find much really, I know my best bet is to get it on a machine but I cant do that at the moment.

Anyone got any ideas of what it's likely to be?

Cheers
Nick

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: New GTI Owner... Little Help Please
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:14:48 pm »
Could be you need to do a calibration on the steering angle sensor, you need to go from one full lock to the other and then drive in a straight line for a period.  Worthwhile doing a quick search on that to get the full detail.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Jack Frost

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:22:41 pm »

Offline Gtikenny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:17 pm »
As richn83 said might need to be calibrated but wierd that it goes out and then comes back on..... :confused: hope you get it sorted  :happy2:

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:56:23 am »
I'm hoping it just needs to be calibrated then, the steering wheel is slightly out when driving in a straight line.

Real hoping I don't have to replace the whole rack :/

Anyone in the Southampton area with Vag Com or something that will be able to read the code? Getting a bit worried about it now.

Cheers
Nick

Offline Gtikenny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »
when the steering wheel is out normally means the tracking needs doing but as your saying the wheel icon is up aswell could be something more serious....

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:17:53 pm »
Yea could be something more serious, but I'm really hoping its not.

Went to see vRStu earlier, absolutely brilliant guy, hooked the car up to VCDS and sure enough there was a fault code...

It was: Steering Torque Sensor (G269): Implausible Signal

We did a few checks to try narrow down what the problem would be, namely, checking the Torque Sensor. When turning the wheel, the torque values changed, which would suggest the sensor or power supply isn't the problem.

So as ross-tech suggests, it could most likely be an intermittent Fault in the Wiring/Connectors.

This would also explain why the light went off briefly the other night. Also, we cleared the code and the light went off, I drove around 6 miles home, then when turning onto my drive (near full lock), the light came back on.

Can anyone shed some light on this or give any advice as to how to check the wiring or where a new loom can be obtained?

Thanks
Nick

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:21:16 pm »
This is the fault

00573 - Steering Torque Sensor (G269): Implausible Signal

Checking Steering Torque Sensor (G269)
Prerequisites:
Ignition ON
Engine ON (Idle)
System voltage at least 11.0 V.

[Select]
[01 - Engine] (This should read 44 - Steering Assist)
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 001
[Go!]
Field 2: Steering Torque Sensor (G269)
Turn the Steering Wheel multiple times completely to the left and right. The Torque Values should change.
If the Torque Values do change, it's most likely an intermittent Fault in the Wiring/Connectors.
If the Torque Values do NOT change, the Sensor itself or the Power Supply (Terminal 15) might be faulty.
Group 004
[Go!]
Field 2: Power Supply (Terminal 15), Specification: "Term. 15 ON"
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00573
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 10:36:11 pm »
Found this using Google, very interesting -

http://tos.pp.fi/koukku/892403.pdf

Sadly the Torque Sensor cannot be replaced so if it is defective you need a new steering rack.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:37:37 pm »
Stu...

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:54:54 pm »
Wow, that was a pretty in depth read! Good find though, shame you cant just replace the torque sensor though.

The second post may well be worth looking into though, thanks for that.

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:58 am »
vRStu, quick question. With VCDS, is it possible to see when a fault code was first registered on the car?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 10:40:51 am »
Sometimes but only the current incarnation of that code, so I don't think it would achieve what you're thinking of.  :happy2:
Stu...

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 10:48:17 am »
Ah ok, was going to see if that would be a means of proving that the fault was there when I bought the car. Which would allow me to have some comeback to the seller under the Sale of Goods Act.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 10:50:39 am »
Yep, I guessed thats where you were going with it.
Stu...