Make a donation

Author Topic: Warning to those that dont declare mods to insurance  (Read 44501 times)

Offline Turbosteve

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Warning to those that dont declare mods to insurance
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2011, 10:28:35 am »
Somebody run into a friend of mine a couple of weeks back, my friend had just had winter tyres fitted.....  when the insurance assesor inspected the car it was the first thing he checked and becuase he didnt declare them they are trying to worm there way out of paying out.....   the other person is now saying it wasnt his fault !   :fighting:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:24 pm »
Declaring EVERYTHING to your insurer is a no-brainer! If this needs to be explained, then you wouldn't understand. [/end of]

Personally, for a modified car driven responsibly I strongly recommend Greenlight.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

MPS

« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2011, 12:33:28 pm »
Where does it all end though.
What if my exhaust rots through and I take it to a local garage who replace it with a 3rd party one that hasn't got a VW stamp on it?

What happens when the factory fitted tyres wear out and I replace them with a different brand? Do I need to tell my insurer I have "modified" my tyres.

What if I have my seats re-trimmed in a slightly different colour?

Do I need to declare all this? Surely it is madness.

Running in a higher grade fuel could even be considered a mod as it could potentially make your car quicker.

I wonder if I can ask my insurer for a discount as I always top up with 95 octane (As opposed to the VW recommended 98), as my engine is running less power from the lower octane stuff?  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:35:11 pm by MPS »

Offline rob172cup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2011, 12:49:00 pm »
hang on do factory extras class as modifications ?

Sorry if this isnt anything to do with whats been talked about now but im only a few pages in  !

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2011, 01:31:41 pm »
Technically, anything that wasn't factory fitted is a mod. So if your car was ordered with Halogens from the factory and you fitted OEM Xenons, that's a neddy no-no. Even dealer mods count as mods.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rob172cup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2011, 01:54:33 pm »
so how do i find out what my car came out the factory with ?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 02:17:21 pm »

so how do i find out what my car came out the factory with ?

....Chassis # info given to your VW dealer or VW UK?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 02:32:51 pm »
Sticker in the boot (under the carpet) and in the manual both have a set of codes which dictate what the car comes with.

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »
Declaring EVERYTHING to your insurer is a no-brainer! If this needs to be explained, then you wouldn't understand. [/end of]

Personally, for a modified car driven responsibly I strongly recommend Greenlight.

So are we saying when tyres wear out and get replaced the insurance company needs to be informed of the "modification"?

If so I would guess 99% of people's car insurance policy's are void.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2011, 04:28:49 pm »
So are we saying when tyres wear out and get replaced the insurance company needs to be informed of the "modification"?
It's not a non-standard modification unless you're using different tyre sizes. If you had an accident, they may look at the tyres and decide whether they were legal or different to what could be expected.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2011, 04:35:43 pm »
Volkswagen supplied me with 88Y tyres, i'm changing to 92Y which is what should be only car... a modification? Also removed the badges from the boot... is this a mod I should declare and will it reduce my premiums as it's advertising it as a gti less...?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

Volkswagen supplied me with 88Y tyres, i'm changing to 92Y which is what should be only car... a modification? Also removed the badges from the boot... is this a mod I should declare and will it reduce my premiums as it's advertising it as a gti less...?

....I think you know already the answer to your question.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2011, 06:10:16 pm »

Sticker in the boot (under the carpet) and in the manual both have a set of codes which dictate what the car comes with.

....Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that.  :happy2:

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2011, 08:08:53 pm »
Whilst I agree with informing the insurers of mods i do sympathise with those that are younger not doing so (unleash the rants of you wont when they crash into you). Insurers are their own worst enemies, they complain about having to pay out vast sums of money and as a result they hike up premiums whilst telling us its due to uninsured drivers causing the hike. Is it not just as likely that if the premiums were more affordable that there would be less uninsured drivers on the road ? They say there are more uninsured drivers around than ever before, but cant seem to see the link that insurance premiums are not only at their highest ever level but are still increasing as roads get safer???!! (according to police road traffic accident reports).

To me they will use all and any means to increase premiums, put on snow tyres and your not safer, its obvious isnt it ? now you'll go out when you MIGHT have stayed home so now your an even higher risk than before.  Fit bigger brakes and now you MIGHT drive faster so again your a higher risk.

New female drivers are statistically a lower risk than the same aged male. They aren't allowed to charge males more though, poor poor Mr insurance man. NO not poor insurer, he's pleased as punch, now he has to charge the same. Did they drop all male policies down to match their female counterparts ? did they bo**ocks, they brought the female policies up in line with the males.

If the insurers weren't so greedy, then this wouldn't be an issue and there would be very few uninsured drivers (including those who dont declare mods).

Just like the estate agents that complain about slow house sales, whilst THEY dictated the prices that led to the situation I have no sympathy.

Insurers optimise capitalism at its worst, get greedy and then complain thats its someone else's  fault when they cant afford it !!

Rant over. :scared:
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »

....I think you know already the answer to your question.

No I don't which is why I asked it...
Diesel Daily Hack.