Make a donation

Author Topic: Window Tinting  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Window Tinting
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:56:51 am »
Evening ppl.

A lot og Golf's came factory fitting with privacy glass (rear) mine didn't. Does at a nice touch to the car IMO.

Whats the best thing I can do for a nice tint on the glass....without looking like a 'Black out window...16 year old chav'

Pro's/Cons from people that have done this? or advice on the best type....?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Window Tinting
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:31:38 am »
hi mate i personally went for the privacy blinds as i dont like the white lines that show up around the matrix dots and heated window lines.

but if you can live with that small draw back id go for a window tint film but wouldnt go too dark  :happy2:

heres a link to the blinds review on here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6158.0.html       a few of my mates have bought them and are over the moon with them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:33:29 am by v2brett »
Still Here!

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:19 am »
On a slightly seperate but related point, you guys with either factory tints, aftermarket film, or as Brett has, privacy blinds, how do you go on with reversing.

My MK5 has just the standard glass, and with the reverse light being so pathetic on the MK5's, I sometimes find reversing in dark places a challange. How is that affected (if at all) in having tints ?

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:36:01 am »
Get a reversing camera! :evilgrin:

Great in low-level environments.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:42 am »
anywhere decent in Brum guys?

Do I just look for a 40% smoked tint or something?

Anyone know the sort of tint original glass has? 30%, 40% etc
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:55:07 am »
One of the 1st things I always do to a car is get the windows done, as it makes a world of difference in my opinion.

pros: like above makes the car look so much better, imo.  supposedly keeps the car cooler in summer, I cant comment on that as bein from Scotland we dont get summer.  :signLOL: also added privacy if u have valuables lying aroung in the car.

Cons: unwanted attention from the police if u get the front windows done noticably.

As brett mentioned I have heard of ppl gettin white lines round the rear heated screen, I had them when I picked the car up and guy says they would gradually disappear, 48hours later, not a white mark to be seen. if in doubt ask.

I got the darkest tint on the back (due to the misses havin a habbit of leavin laptops etc lying. and the lightest on the front, and have never had any unwanted attention.

pic of the back window a day after they had been done, as u can see the white line has more or less vanished.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »
My ED 30 has the rear factory privacy glass & it does look good.Ref reversing,no more difficult for me''yes'' the reversing light is crap but the windows don't look as dark from the inside when you are looking out of the car as they do from the outside looking in(hope thats clear)? :grin:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:41:38 pm »
I have the privacy blinds and think they are ace! There are a number of people in the Midlands who have had tinting done and it looks pretty good.
Not sure where people would recommend though.

Offline GOLDENBOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:19 pm »
I recently had my car tinted went for 40% tints which perfect, 3o% too dark, 5o% which to bright. 40% is what comes on 3o edition as a extra.  pm details of garage where took mine in wolves! :happy2:
Candy white edition 30 / Revo stage 1 / Itg maxogen / xenons/ R32 brakes front/rear/ H&r springs / cruise/ open fogs/ Rns-510

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:43:27 pm »
I wanted rear tints but I have a 5dr and the dot matrix on the quarters is very wide and I can't stand the white ring you get.

I went to loads of tinting places and none of them could guarantee thay could solve this. I was thinking of getting the rear replacement screen and glass from a broken GT Sport and get it fitted  :rolleye:

I ended up with a more sensible option and have just got some palm blinds (cheers Gazb). Easily removable, look good and no white lines  :happy2:

Cheaper than tints too.

http://www.vanstyle.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/products_id/4128
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:27 am »
very helpfull, thank you!

Anyone, does know of a decent company they have used in the Midlands please let me know.

Offline nelson1m

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2024, 10:54:39 pm »
Just picked up this 2 days ago. Misus wants the tint strip gone from the windscreen. Reckon it’ll ruin the overall look? I’m in my late thirty’s now so I kinda agree with her!

Offline lazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2024, 09:52:32 am »
I think it will look better without the strip in the windscreen.
Nice car it looks pretty original.

Online Vecridorm

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2024, 07:34:44 pm »
Just picked up this 2 days ago. Misus wants the tint strip gone from the windscreen. Reckon it’ll ruin the overall look? I’m in my late thirty’s now so I kinda agree with her!

looks good, my personal 2 pence would be removing the sun strip and front door window tints as they are a personal bother, darker headlights is an optional extra I believe not a lot of people notice who I have spoken to about them.
tdi bkd 4motion: Alive
Gt 170: Dead
Gt sport 170: Murdered