Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS/RCD Questions before purchase! Help!  (Read 5859 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
RNS/RCD Questions before purchase! Help!
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:36:48 pm »
Hey folks,

I am looking to change my Alpine HU back to an OE radio as they look far better, RCD510 is more likely, as I always use Copilot Sat Nav on my iPhone so I do not need Sat Nav and the extra I can save over buying the RNS, I can get a BT connection fitted.

Anyhow! A few questions;

1) I have a 3rd Gen iPod at the moment connected using an Alpine iPod cable via the glovebox, Would buying a standard VW MDI cable (£15) allow the same principle? ie Charging the iPod, and full control via the RCD/RNS touch screen, track details etc?

2) I know I need some sort of aerial adaptor for the RCD/RNS, but is there anything else I need?

3) Has anyone successfully added connections for a sub/amp to their RCD/RNS? I have an Alpine active sub (very small 8") with built in Amp, but I guess I need a remote cable, and Pre-out(s) from the HU?

Thanks guys, i've been trying to put myself off, but I just can't, as they look so much better and I don't have to faff around with taking fascia plates off every day like I do on my Alpine.

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Re: RNS/RCD Questions before purchase! Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:48:45 pm »
Sean the MDI is not just a £15 lead mate :scared: Its a full on control module and harness, the lead is just what plugs into the module.

The above will cost in the region of £60 - £200 massive difference in price due to if you have the CD changer in the armrest then you could go for the MDI armrest for around £60 for the module and holder then you will need the harness at £40 and the extension lead another £30 and the ipod/usb lead another £20.

You will need just the antenna adaptor for the RCD and the adaptor and gps antenna for the RNS.

Yes there is a thread somewhere on here that describes how 2 put and amp onto the RNS/RCD.

Cheers

Darren

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:05:03 pm »
Ahhh thought it would have been too cheap and easy!  :laugh: :grin:

Hmm, so im basically looking at, £300ish for a RCD510, £150 for Armrest MDI (I have CD Changer in armrest at the moment). Then the Antenna adaptor and for a bluetooth kit, either a £200 parrot kit, or a fully fledged VW kit for £380.

Circa £850.

I think im gonna stick with the Alpine lol does everything inc bluetooth handsfree and only cost me £180   :grin: It doesn't look as good but looks can't persuade me to part with that amount :'(

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:08:32 pm »
Shaun,

Sod the £15/£20 antenna adaptor and take the plastic plugs off.
Skoda bluetooth is around £300 not £380 (Managed to get mine for £265 but I did source it all seperately)
And Im sure you'll pick up the MDI for les than that if you do some ringing around/ ebay searching.

But if you go for the RCD 510 it you can load your music on via SD card and forget the MDI??

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58:16 am »
As suggested I wouldnt worry about going for the MDI straight away much better to spread the cost out for these things and the OE units are so good that they really are worth the second hand money they fetch, and once you have 32GB of music on an SD card you wont be interested in hooking your ipod up  :wink:  As for bluetooth you could also consider the Fiscon unit might be able to find a second hand one of those, although the OE integration of the mic is spot on.

Come on you know you want to do it .... Second credit card????  :grin:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »
I was gonna go for a fiscon but deciced against it.

It only had 2 things over the 729b kit I ended up getting, music streaming over bluetooth (ad2p?) and the extra menu that displays boost and oil pressure ect. After doing some reading up the extra menu is pretty crap and unrealiable and I would'nt use the ad2p as you can store enough on the sd card or hd. Also I read the fiscon mic is'nt up to much either especialy when on the motorway with general road noise and the fact I'd need a seperate OEM mic for voice control.

Treat yourself Shaun it is  :santa:  !!!    :signLOL:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 12:15:15 pm »
fiscon mic is passive rather than active as per the OEM one, and you have to have it sat in the cabin somewhere or modify the grille.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »
I only have about 2gb of music anyway lol, but does the SD card display track names / artwork like iPod stuff would?

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:17:38 pm »
It displays track names just like all other media although wont do album artwork has it doesn't recognise the file type.

Darren

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:51 pm »
The RNS510 has no ability to display pictures. It can show you maps, it can show films from DVDs. That's it. No pictures/photos/artwork etc. One of the (many) disadvantages the RNS has.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:40:34 pm »
The RNS510 has no ability to display pictures. It can show you maps, it can show films from DVDs. That's it. No pictures/photos/artwork etc. One of the (many) disadvantages the RNS has.

SW it can show pictures if they are attached to the poi but thats it I believe from now on due to the RNS850 coming out the 510 will start getting some good features in the near future.

Darren

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 10:46:48 pm »
it can show pictures if they are attached to the poi
:surprised: Really? Will the firmware support version B too or is that no longer supported and the feature will be available only on C models?

Also any info on this new RNS?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:19 pm »

SW it can show pictures if they are attached to the poi but thats it I believe from now on due to the RNS850 coming out the 510 will start getting some good features in the near future.

Darren

I am currently looking to get a RNS 510 but might wait a while if the RNS 850 is coming out soon. Any ideas on a release date?

Then I can either get the RNS 850 (cost dependent and if it fits in the Mk5) or get the RNS 510 cheaper.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦