Make a donation

Author Topic: edition 30 DSG or manual.  (Read 4769 times)

Offline dan_uk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
edition 30 DSG or manual.
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »
Am looking at getting an edition 30 golf and love the DSG function, but with the plan of upping the power there is the concern of there being too much load on the box resulting in a costly repair.

I would be looking at doing a remap, exhaust, fuel pump and induction with the option of stage 2 in future. Looking for advice from others who perhaps had experiances from the dsg boxes? How much power can they handle? what mileage have others seen so far under uprated power? What sort of power are you running?

And on the flip side are there any issues or problems you have encountered with them?

Alternatively the other option is the manual but i would prefer the option of the DSG.

All feedback would be appreciated. I have searched for other similar posts but didnt have much luck so if there is one a link would be helpful.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
Re: edition 30 DSG or manual.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:44:24 pm »
Have a look at JonnyC's ED30 build thread  :happy2:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:14:46 pm »
I've got an Edition 30 & manual for me,much more driver focus. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »
I get to drive both on a daily basis.

I drive a DSG as my daily car andgetting out of that and into a manual it seems clunky and labourious after driving DSG but each to their own.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:09 pm »
i think the people who whinge about DSG after driving one just weren't used to it.  took me ages to get used to it.  but its ace once you get the hang of it

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »
i think the people who whinge about DSG after driving one just weren't used to it.  took me ages to get used to it.  but its ace once you get the hang of it
I totally agree.....I was one of them! Now im hooked! :happy2:

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:55:08 pm »
I have a manual. The only DSG i have driven was an Audi TT 3.2. The DSG decided so much for me in regards when to change I didn't get on with it at all. Do they still change up at nr max rpm regardless? It wasn't that so much as how the box behaves coming down the cogs, it always seemed to be in the wrong gear at round abouts and junctions where the lights change quicker than you think. Granted that in a straight line, balls out accelleration the dsg is mega but all the normal junction, roundabout stuff it seemed far less intuative than a good old clutch and a porridge stirrer.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:59:45 pm »
DSG is the future, for modern driving they just dont compare. But if you intend to do a lot of track days then you need to consider the manual, as the DSG is not very involving on the track for experienced drivers. I find it great on track, but i cant drive to well.  :laugh:

Offline Gtikenny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:21:58 pm »
As TOP CAT said dsg is the future dont think i could go back to a manual now! :happy2:

Offline dan_uk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:08 pm »
so how much mileage have you guys got that have the dsg boxes and how much power are u running on them? any problems or issues?

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 09:39:58 pm »
DSG is prefered by some, and manual prefered by others.  I prefer manual, but appreciate that others are DSG fans.

My Ed30 was manual, and was a cranking  :ashamed: cracking! car.

People will tell you that they have had zero problems with their cars, and that is great, however the amount of problems across the VAG brand (not just GTI's) is worrying, although many will deny there is any kind of problem.  

Warranty is a must, and be prepared the risk of voiding the warranty if you upgrade the Gearbox Software, or increase the BHP and have a problem.

Some will say that the dealer will not be able to tell if the car is mapped, however it will be up to you to prove if they suspect.  Tell tale indicators such as Suspension, Brakes, exhaust give away power upgrades.

Do the homework and make an informed decision, and enjoy the Ed30.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:44:01 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »
my understanding is that the DSG can handle more power running through it than a manual...

but I'm no expert :ashamed:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:41 pm »
Be prepared to fork out for a new upgraded clutch if mapped in a manual, but once bought it is virtually bulletproof thereafter.

DSG parts tend to be more expensive (no aftermarket parts as yet To my knowledge), and are still standard parts post repair, so Mech units etc can still prove problematic, nightmare if out of warranty.

Pertinent recent post on the dark side...........

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=177210.0

Homework!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:58:43 pm by stokeballoon »