Make a donation

Author Topic: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses! Problem solved!  (Read 17088 times)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses!! Anyone else with HEL hoses?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 05:15:31 pm »

Cracks on the brake lines?

Keep an eye on these cracks, as in my experience they are indicative of the section of hose near the fitting flexing considerably, and disproportionately. I haven't bothered to look at my GTI but most OEM rubber hoses have an external spring to encourage the hose to progressively bend, and stop the bending load focusing on the section of hose in proximity to the fitting.

On a road car I previously had stainless lines on, I had similar cracks, which ultimately led to hose failure.

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 08:23:36 pm »
Why don't you take it for the free retest first and if they fail it again (don't see why they would now), go to another mot test station?
The test was done at a VW dealer and they have stipulated that it will not be passed by them with cable ties now matter how secure...  :fighting:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 08:25:06 pm »
Are they secured to the strut as well?  There would be clip etc on there for OEM hoses.

Yeah the hoses have the correct clip for both the rear of the caliper bracket and the clip for the strut mid line, seems they are just missing the clip for the top joint that Rich has on his?

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Looks messy.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Fook that. I would be putting some OEM R32 fronts on.  :surprised:

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
After my experience (diagonal brake circuit failure all of a sudden is a bit, err, entertaining), I'd never fit braided stainless to a road car, unless there was evidence the design had given some thought to the amount of articulation required of the hose.

I find the difference between stainless braided and OEM to be negligible on a road car, and the main difference people note I suspect is the fresh bleed required to fit the hoses.

I do use them on a track car where no OEM option exists, but the suspension travel is very limited, and I've installed the hoses such that the flexi to fitting is not involved in the bending.

If it were me, I'd put brand new OEM hoses on, especially as in this case it solves the MOT woe.

Best of luck.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Just to add an opposing view to that ^^^^^

Those that know what they are looking for will instantly realise that this "major" cracking is purely of the outer sheath which is a decorative element which is not "structural" to the hose at all.

In fact its apparent that its doing its job which is to stop muck/crap/heat getting to the braided part of the line which up until goodridge/Hel started doing PVC coated lines about 3 years ago is all you could buy.

The PVC cover is available in 12 different colours from Barry Boy Corsa Pink through to Honda CTR Neon Green to the more sedate Carbon Effect finish chosen by my good self - Its simply there to keep the braid from corroding and getting mucky.

Bit like having your car vinyl wrapped and then panicking when a bird craps on your roof thinking the paint is going to get damaged......

In terms of length - Beddies HEL Lines mimic OEM exactly apart from an additional 85mm of length which replaces the zigzag hard line that enters the caliper, the lines have not one but two mid line fittings - one for the upright and the other to secure the line in the L shaped bracket that is bolted to the caliper - its secured in exactly the same way the OEM lines are.

Beddies lines from a hydraulic point of view are perfectly serviceable - I'll be having this checked through pressure testing - if you saw the machine that swaged these lines then you wouldn't be worried.

My own oversight has been not supplying the fitting spring that secures the line to the inner wing, causing Beddies tuner to "improvise"

Luckily Mr Bedford in all his wisdom remembered  to send off his warranty card supplied with all HEL hoses back to the factory - this means that he's getting some new ones through HEL's LIFETIME warranty which is quibble free.....

Did everybody else remember to send their warranty card off?

Just to confirm if there is cracking in the PVC sheath then DONT PANIC and CARRY ON its just doing its job, OEM hoses would just be soaking up that heat and going all brittle - I know which ones I'd rather have fitted prior to a ring trip - I'd just be having them fitted properly without tie wraps but with the butterfly springs which weren't flagged as missing on install....

ps they're 30p each   :ashamed:

Stevey boy give me a ring today we'll get BI all revved up

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6d6b8edajeb9iil03jn3i7ucd7&/topic,19740.0.html
Beddie...look at this picture! I know its not a golf etc etc... but it shows you the clip that your missing!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jhzHPFOcihI/TPoScswkUiI/AAAAAAAAApM/loM5AnqvT9M/s1600/IMG_3299.JPG

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
If you look at my post #7 i have shown the oem clip that you need.  Part number is 4D0 611 715B.  We always keep these in stock for brake kits that dont come with the correct parts.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6d6b8edajeb9iil03jn3i7ucd7&/topic,19740.0.html
Ohh yes... so you did!  :happy2:

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
I have a spare few sets of the HEL braided hoses for sale if its of any use ?

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
Re: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses! Problem solved!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 03:05:08 pm »
How much are you after mate?

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »
How much are you after mate?

I have two full sets in transparent red, looking for about £50 for each

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Just to add an opposing view to that ^^^^^

Those that know what they are looking for will instantly realise that this "major" cracking is purely of the outer sheath which is a decorative element which is not "structural" to the hose at all.

In fact its apparent that its doing its job which is to stop muck/crap/heat getting to the braided part of the line which up until goodridge/Hel started doing PVC coated lines about 3 years ago is all you could buy.

The PVC cover is available in 12 different colours from Barry Boy Corsa Pink through to Honda CTR Neon Green to the more sedate Carbon Effect finish chosen by my good self - Its simply there to keep the braid from corroding and getting mucky.

Bit like having your car vinyl wrapped and then panicking when a bird craps on your roof thinking the paint is going to get damaged......

In terms of length - Beddies HEL Lines mimic OEM exactly apart from an additional 85mm of length which replaces the zigzag hard line that enters the caliper, the lines have not one but two mid line fittings - one for the upright and the other to secure the line in the L shaped bracket that is bolted to the caliper - its secured in exactly the same way the OEM lines are.

Beddies lines from a hydraulic point of view are perfectly serviceable - I'll be having this checked through pressure testing - if you saw the machine that swaged these lines then you wouldn't be worried.

My own oversight has been not supplying the fitting spring that secures the line to the inner wing, causing Beddies tuner to "improvise"

Luckily Mr Bedford in all his wisdom remembered  to send off his warranty card supplied with all HEL hoses back to the factory - this means that he's getting some new ones through HEL's LIFETIME warranty which is quibble free.....

Did everybody else remember to send their warranty card off?

Just to confirm if there is cracking in the PVC sheath then DONT PANIC and CARRY ON its just doing its job, OEM hoses would just be soaking up that heat and going all brittle - I know which ones I'd rather have fitted prior to a ring trip - I'd just be having them fitted properly without tie wraps but with the butterfly springs which weren't flagged as missing on install....

ps they're 30p each   :ashamed:

Stevey boy give me a ring today we'll get BI all revved up

Bloody Geek spoiling all the drama.  :P

Offline Aaron_RJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 09:13:53 pm »
just read your thread and your RFR just to make you and you can make your testing station aware:
 a brake hose that is not correctly secured using orignal means i.e a spring clip BUT is secure is not a RFR (reason for refusal)

PS yes I am an MOT tester

Hope this helps mate  :happy2:
2007 GTI | 18'' Monzas |Xenons|Highline|MFSW|Lux pack| Factory Tints |Cruise control
Mods: VWR Quickshift |Forge DV |Autotech HPFP| Sportlines | |Goodrich hoses |Milltek non res TBE | Stage 2 map | Custom CAI