Make a donation

Author Topic: New POI's for RNS-510  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
New POI's for RNS-510
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:31:50 pm »
Chaps, recently loaded a V7 Map disc on the RNS-510 (everything working fine), but the only thing it didn't have was things like fast food restaurants (like McD's KFS, B King, Sub etc.). Now before you all tell me I'm a fat enough ba*sard anyway ( :P), I did find this really useful on my old V6 map disc, as when I'm out in a strange area (and I travel quite a bit), It's good to see where there is local to get a bite to eat.

Is it a really involved process to add these POI's into the Nav system. I arleady have speed cameras so just need these to complete the picture. I know that the likes of Darren, and Lee etc. would all help me out (they always do), but rather than keep bugging them, thought if it was easy enough I would have a go myself ?

Does anyone have an idiots guide to doing this ?

Ta.  :happy2:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: New POI's for RNS-510
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »
Ahh, just searched again and found this

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2092.0.html

Is this still the preferred method even with the V7 maps ?

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:21 pm »
Its is if you don't want to pay for the software to do it the proper way :happy2:

I use a program called PimpMyNav but it need an original disc or a copy of the original disc...then you just load your poi onto it and the program makes an image of that and you then just burn the image onto a DVD.

I don't mind sending you my latest creation V7 with everything on it???

Darren

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:39:20 pm »
^^^I'm still waiting on mine!  :signLOL:

Never mind, I've created my own DVD using the walkthrough yesterday. It wasn't difficult once I get everything together (speedcamera database, icons, POI database etc), just time consuming.

Will try it out this weekend. The annoying thing (insofar as I can workout) is that everytime you want to update the POIs (eg update the speedcamera database), you have to do it all over again. At least with my tomtom, I could copy the database straight to the SD card and plug it in!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:08 pm »
I don't mind sending you my latest creation V7 with everything on it???

Darren

I would love it Darren but I'm starting to feel really cheeky as you've done so much for me already.....OK yes please  :grin:

As usual thanks very much mate :happy2:

Can I be really cheeky and ask if you have a copy of the latest firmware for the RNS that will work on my B unit, in preparation for getting the Rocco ( not so urgent this as I won't be getting the car for months yet probably).

Cheers
Andrew

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:52:00 pm »
Can I be really cheeky and ask if you have a copy of the latest firmware for the RNS that will work on my B unit
It's already at the top of the forum in a how-to sticky!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:58:22 pm »
^^^I'm still waiting on mine!  :signLOL:

Never mind, I've created my own DVD using the walkthrough yesterday. It wasn't difficult once I get everything together (speedcamera database, icons, POI database etc), just time consuming.

Will try it out this weekend. The annoying thing (insofar as I can workout) is that everytime you want to update the POIs (eg update the speedcamera database), you have to do it all over again. At least with my tomtom, I could copy the database straight to the SD card and plug it in!

Sorry mate Iv'e sent that many out I thought I had sent you one??? :ashamed:  if you still want one let me know your address. 

Andrew yes its a smallish file that Carl has put up at the top of this sub forum menu.

Darren :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:10 pm »
Sorry mate Iv'e sent that many out I thought I had sent you one??? :ashamed:  if you still want one let me know your address.
No worries mate!  :grin: The big question is how up to date the speedcam database is on there. Mine's from 3rd November 2010, so if yours is newer, lemme know!  :happy2:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 07:43:55 pm »
No worries mate!  :grin: The big question is how up to date the speedcam database is on there. Mine's from 3rd November 2010, so if yours is newer, lemme know!  :happy2:

I can update it to 12-01-2011 which is the newest on PocketGPS World.

Darren

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53:24 pm »
PMed!

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:36:30 am »
Sorry to hijack (become common from me :P) but whilst I have all you clever bodies in this thread, is it possible to add speed camera locations to the RNS 310? Obviously it's a different make, model and firmware but nav runs of an SD card still and it doesn't have a DVD drive.

It has a ''Traffic'' button that updates me with all the latest traffic news delays and accidents etc but would really like speed camera locations?

Sorry again but thanks :P
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!