Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS 510 VIM(Video in Motion cable) Please be aware  (Read 6357 times)

Offline goranot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
RNS 510 VIM(Video in Motion cable) Please be aware
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »
Hi All,
Just a quick warning to all those contemplating using one of the above..."STAY AWAY"

Purchased one from XCarLink who also advertise on ebay and was fitted some weeks along with my RNS510 and VW Bluetooth all thanks to Darren but unfortunately recently lost my bluetooth connectivity and functionality of my MFSW controls in addition to the RNS unit remaining constantly on after removal of key so manually had to switch it off and to make matters worse battery kept draining out after a few days even though I had it fully charged..advice was sought from the forums technical guru "Darren" who pinpointed the issue to the VIM cable which was running all the time hence the battery drain issues and there was a possibilty due to it running all the time strong possibilty of bricking the RNS510 so was advised to have it removed ASAP this is where another forum member came to the rescue..

There are not many forums around well at least not that I know where members are so approachable and helpful without any gain whatsoever and on occasions even give up their time and resources to help another member out especially at short notice so a Massive Thankyou to "Stealthwolf" who although commitments of his own and a very busy schedule made time to come over and remove the VIM cable hence removing the possibilty of me ending up with a bricked RNS510.

After removal of VIM Bluetooth and MFSW functionality was restored so once again thanks to Darren and Stealthwolf and the Forum members for making this forum what it is..

Hafeez

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: RNS 510 VIM(Video in Motion cable) Please be aware
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:35:26 pm »
I wouldn't use one myself either, the best bet is getting darren to use his new equipment to give you VIM  :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »
i have also been told not to use these leads - whats the best way to get VIM? safest
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »
i have also been told not to use these leads - whats the best way to get VIM? safest

I wouldn't use one myself either, the best bet is getting darren to use his new equipment to give you VIM  :happy2:

Simples.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:53:18 pm »
I used one from kufatec for about 18 months and never had any problems! :S

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »
whats the best way to get VIM? safest

What is safe about watching videos when driving?!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
+1. See no point in enabling VIM unless they produce an RNS with one of those screens in the landrover - GPS from driver's view and DVD from passenger's view.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:21:04 pm »
i think he means safest in terms of not bricking the RNS unit. And, if he meant safest in terms of driving, its a complete contradiction. Watching a dvd whilst driving is bonkers!!

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »

As already said above, speak to Darren.

I have VIM enabled on mine and it is great, the little one can watch a dvd, while we're on route to some where.

Also the software Darren uses de regionalises the DVD player, so then you can use any DVD in it US, UK Japan etc..........

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:14:05 pm »
What's Darren's user ID?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:13 pm »
Safest < as it these leads can cause problems.

and why VIM < because the rear screens < DVD and the kids.
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:41:04 pm »
You don't need VIM to enable to rear screens. The RNS510 will drive the rear screens independently. The only thing you can do from the front is listen to your own music or satnav. You do need VIM to control the DVD menus - again, should not be controlled by you but by front passenger!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.