Make a donation

Author Topic: Urgent TEMP sensor location ** PICS INSIDE  (Read 32223 times)

Offline ruffrydaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Urgent TEMP sensor location ** PICS INSIDE
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:37:24 pm »
I have a 2.0 gt tdi and im removing the coolant temperature sensor.
Can anyone cirle it in the pic.
I removed the circled one but it smells of fuel not coolant so it probably the wrong one.
Any advice please urgent

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Urgent TEMP sensor location ** PICS INSIDE
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:04:00 pm »
Looks the right place to me, I've only changed them on Petrol engines, but did mine on the GTI a few weeks back, similar location, and looks the same part, make sure you replace the o-ring as well.

If it smells of fuel, could just be because it's a diesel engine and it makes everything smell of diesel!

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:08:06 pm »
didnt think there was an issue with these on newer cars, is it the 2 pin or 4 pin? is it green or black?

Looks like its the right one by the way, easy check would be to take it out and see if coolant comes out, lol

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline ruffrydaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:11:09 pm »
fuels coming out :S

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »
didnt think there was an issue with these on newer cars, is it the 2 pin or 4 pin? is it green or black?

Looks like its the right one by the way, easy check would be to take it out and see if coolant comes out, lol

In my experience a LOT of coolant comes out rapido ... and it clear its coolant because its pink!  I can't see the pics as I'm at work but I'd advise when you find it and pull the old sensor out to make sure you get the old O ring out.

In my excitement (due to aforementioned coolant gushing out) I chucked the old one over my shoulder and tried to ram the new one in assuming the O ring had come out with the sensor.  Then spent some time wondering why the new one wasn't seating properly and leaking slightly ...

Incidentaly the original sensor was fine - my issue was / is taking a long time to heat up so its going in for a new thermostat at the end of the week.

Anyone want to buy and old coolant sensor minus O Ring?  :signLOL:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ruffrydaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:17:01 pm »
The one i took out definately had fuel coming out

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
Thats a fuel sensor.  The coolant temp sensor is on a plastic housing underneath the fuel pump on the right side of the head.  Its also a grey sensor.  You will need to remove the airbox to get to it.  Make sure you remove the coolant cap to release the pressure, then replace the cap before removing the sensor.  This stops you losing too much coolant.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline ruffrydaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:36:18 pm »
Thanks i sorted it now but alot of diesel leaked before and gushed everywhere because i forgot to clip it. Its ok now but can the diesel in the engine bay cause any damage or will it just dry up on its own??
thanks guys
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:54:15 pm by ruffrydaz »

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »
Yes, that would tie up with the GTI engine location (I can see the pics now I'm home).  Its a different engine so can't say for sure but on the GTI it was the only sensor that was obvious.  Follow the line of the coolant pipe from the rad.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
Am i right in thinking that replacing this sensor it would get the temp up quicker, and so the air con will heat the interior faster? Mine takes ages, My old mk4 gti heated up really quick.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:16:03 pm »
^^ I've noticed mine is taking ages to heat up just now as well.  I have replaced the temp sensor and it made no difference.  Next step is to replace the thermostat.  New one going in on Friday - will report if it makes a difference. 

What age is yours?  Mines 05 and if this is the problem its either a quirk of the AXX engines or they are at the age where the thermostats are sticking. 
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ruffrydaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »
Mines an mk5 gt tdi and the temp guage sometimes shoots to zero than comes back again. Scanned it and temp sensor was at fault. Hopefully goes once this has fitted and after clearing the code

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:42 pm »

What age is yours?  Mines 05 and if this is the problem its either a quirk of the AXX engines or they are at the age where the thermostats are sticking. 

I have 05 GTI also, my only gripes with the car are the air con/heater warm up time, and the poor quality speakers,
The latter i can fix easy with a speaker upgrade,
Do report back when you get the new thermostat fitted.

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 05:31:18 pm »
^^ I've noticed mine is taking ages to heat up just now as well.  I have replaced the temp sensor and it made no difference.  Next step is to replace the thermostat.  New one going in on Friday - will report if it makes a difference. 

Did you get the new sensor fitted?
Has it made a difference?

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 06:21:14 pm »

Did you get the new sensor fitted?
Has it made a difference?

I did get a new thermostat fitted and it has made a difference - seems to be up to full temp in half the time it used to take - so result there.

But compared to other cars (specifically a polo) I drive it does still take quite a bit longer. 

Worth doing if you're suspicious  :happy2:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant