Make a donation

Author Topic: Armrest Options.......?  (Read 6187 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Armrest Options.......?
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:41:42 am »
I have to retro fit my arm resst....just tryng to locate the ducting to join the front vents to the rear armrest vents. I believe mine has the ducting in it to cool the compartment under the arm rest lid.......can you guys tell me, what options do I have for the arm rest comparement myself??

1) Can I keep the ducting and just use it a a small chill comparement - nothing else

2) Would I have to remove Remove the duct (into the chill comparentment) to add cd player, usb etc

What other option are there in the armrest? and if I do something else guessing would have to remove the vent for the cooling regardless?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:00:47 am by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
Re: Armrest Options.......?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:10:25 pm »
 :confused:
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:26:07 pm »
I'm confused as to what you mean? If your rear vents blow air with the blowers the ducting is there, if not it won't be and the pipe is roughly £10, however this does NOT affect what you have in your armrest, you can have CD, USB or iPod and this won't affect the ducting what so ever?
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:02 pm »
Not quite as simple as that. If you currently have the centre console with a cubby hole under the arm rest (that has a chilled air vent), and you want to swap the armrest outer for one that holds a CD changer, MDI shelf, IPod adaptor etc., then you do need to swap your current air ducting.

It joins to the front section around the area of the cup holders, and has a small branch that goes up to the cubby hole vent. Its this branch that gets in the way of the MDI shelf / CD changer. VW do a similar duct piece especially for the MDI/CD Changer version (without the small branch) that also routes slightly differently in the centre console to avoid MDI / changer version.hardware that would be fitted. It's only a few pounds, but is an absolute b*tch to fit. However if you want working air vents at the back, swapping this piece is the only solution.

If you currently have the low line centre console fitted (I.e. Without the armrest,) then the front piece of the air ducting will also be missing. It can be retro fitted fairly easily, but involves completely removing the centre console. Behind the ashtray, the main dash air vent ducts will be blanked off where they would go backwards to the armrest. These blanks can be removed and the 2 section ducting for the rear vents fitted ( rear piece as type explained above Depends on if you are fitting the cubby hole armrest or the MDI / CD changer unit instead).

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:33:56 pm by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:28:13 pm »
Just found a photo I took of the air duct for the version with the cubby hole / air vent that I took when I did my conversion over to the MDI version.

You can see the smaller front duct for the cubby hole venting, the version of the armrest suitable for MDI/CD Changer doesn't have this extra duct, and is routed over to the bottom side of the armrest (when looking down as in the photo)

Hope this helps.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:32:50 am »
MMmmmm so it does depend of the casing and ducting.......

this is what I have......chilled box I believe. So unless I change the casing, I can't really fit much else into it?

Does it look like I have all the pipes? do I just need the main pipe from thfront to the rear vents? anyone know a part numner of good place to get these....?

and does the pipe coming from the front splitt into 3? two the the rear vents? and one into the arm rest cubby itself? or is this another seperate pipe?

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »
Johnny, the air ducting whether or not you are using the cubby hole armrest or the MDI armrest, is still 2 pieces in total. See image below (part numbers 10 & 23)

Part number 10 remains the same no matter what console you have. It's only part 23 that differs depending on the arm rest type. If you want to change from your (as shown in your photo) which is the cubby hole version, to the one to accept the MDI / CD changer, then it's justs the lower covering (at the bottom of your photo) that needs changing along with the new style air duct (23).

Part 31 as show in my pic above, is the blank piece that will currently be fitted to your car at the front.

Yes to answer your question, it looks like you have everything except the "roller" style drinks holder (unless you are planning on keeping your exsiting open style unit ?). Bascially, the chilled cubby version (which you now have), can't accept the MDI, IPOD or CD Changer without first chaning the rear outer skin.

Hope that makes sense ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:16:20 pm by Norbreck21a »

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:56 am »
what a legend  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: everything i wanted to know!!!

thanks you...clear, exact....answered everything.

where can i get these breakdown pics?

also, want rid of the cups...part numbers/details - do you have? also need some screws for my arm rest...do you have part number breakdown?

Offline Belix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:18:05 am »
Any hints on how you got the flaming centre console out to lay the airvent pipe?  :jumping:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »
Excuses the wording, but with f**king manipulation and a loss of skin on a few fingers  :signLOL:

My way....

You have to unscrew everything, and with the large centre console you can kinda lift it and slip it to the side in order to slide the pipe under. It's something that I personally
can't explain you have to be there. But jiggle to centre you will find you can slide in under and in.

Time and patients < I'm NOT an expert but did it.