Make a donation

Author Topic: Going to look at some xenons - any advice?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
Going to look at some xenons - any advice?
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:37:18 pm »
I am off to look at some xenons in Manchester tomorrow as they seem a resonable deal. They are complete and look in good condition (all tabs seem to be present). As I currently don't have xenons I wont be able to test them  :confused:

I intend on building up the full kit including leveling.

The seller also has the loom from an R32 but I assume this will be of no use and I would have to get one from kufatec?

Does anyone have any advice on what to look for other than the above?

Offline mk1inbits

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Going to look at some xenons - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:41:27 pm »
Nothing particular other than making sure they are in good condition visually, my ED30 has got a set and whilst I am amazed at the difference over standard lights I am concerned about the durability of them epecially the levelling, I have noticed the light beams juddering on rough roads , to me there i potential for something that is not fixed ,- breaking at some point

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:43:52 pm »
I think you'll need the kufatec ones like you said.

Make sure that all three lugs are intact on the headlight.  Make sure it has the ignightors (Silver box on the underside of the headlight) and check its got the bulbs.

Then just check the lense for scratches & cracks.

Without testing them, thats about it!

Good luck

:happy2:

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7t87qc8bq99pj6hadvd9e0pesb&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:31:15 am »
The metal box on the underside of the headlight unit is the Ballast... the igniter is the black/red cube which attaches to the back of the bulb!

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:13:51 am »
Thanks for the advice all. Much appreciated. Would you believe that I was due to meet the seller this morning and he has decided to cancel on me with an hour to go :fighting:

Some people :rolleye:

My search continues....... :wink:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:16:54 am »
Thanks for the advice all. Much appreciated. Would you believe that I was due to meet the seller this morning and he has decided to cancel on me with an hour to go :fighting:

Some people :rolleye:

My search continues....... :wink:

Some people!

Iv just had the same, someone due to come to me for a highline swap at 9.00 just txt to say he'll be here at 10.30!!

Could of stayed in bed  :fighting:

You'll find another set soon enough  :happy2:

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:19:00 am »
I just can't understand why people dont do what they say they are going to do!  :stupid: Rant over!

Hope the sale works out for you Apollo :happy2:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:31:59 am »
Cheers Bodger  :drinking:

Happy xenon hunting!
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Wildman10

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
Just a quick thank you for planning to do a complete fit including self-levelling - I'm a biker and have many times found myself dazzled by oncoming car lights where the colour suggests someone has [illegally] fitted Xenons without the correct lenses and self-levelling.  Riding at 70+ whilst not being able to see more than a few yards of the road ahead is certainly exciting, but it's now a thrill I can do without.

Good luck.

Ian

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:42:32 pm »
Just a quick thank you for planning to do a complete fit including self-levelling - I'm a biker and have many times found myself dazzled by oncoming car lights where the colour suggests someone has [illegally] fitted Xenons without the correct lenses and self-levelling.  Riding at 70+ whilst not being able to see more than a few yards of the road ahead is certainly exciting, but it's now a thrill I can do without.

Good luck.

Ian

+1 for doing a proper job (as they say in Bristle  :signLOL:)
GTI going...

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:11:31 am »
If its a xenon rant is it okay if I go round with a baseball bat and do all the taxi's around Leeds cos they are really peeing me off,  with these stupid xenon hid kits stuck in there reflector headlights :fighting:

Especially some  :booty: in a Toyota Auris(sp) next time I see him I'm going to give him a blast on my xenons and show him some real light :evilgrin:

Darren

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 01:19:45 am »
If its a xenon rant is it okay if I go round with a baseball bat and do all the taxi's around Leeds cos they are really peeing me off,  with these stupid xenon hid kits stuck in there reflector headlights :fighting:

Especially some  :booty: in a Toyota Auris(sp) next time I see him I'm going to give him a blast on my xenons and show him some real light :evilgrin:

Darren
most be a think about taxi drives as a skoda has hid kits in is and all they do is flicker in the mirror at you...Any way Daz i will buy your xenons when you get that cc passat  :signLOL:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 09:41:30 am »
Amen to that, they do it in Nottingham, its a hideous look and really off putting to other road users !!

Darren