0 (0%)
Michelin Pilot Sport
33 (42.9%)
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
1 (1.3%)
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's
15 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: TYRE THREAD... what are your preference's  (Read 19973 times)

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
Re: TYRE THRED... what are your preference's
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 04:35:34 pm »
im with dom - pilot sports 2 for me both on my old golf and now on the cayman :happy2:

they don't even make the ps3 in porsche fitment (n0/1/2/3/4)

supersports look good but im sure it will be a wait before they are available on our shores and having just spent £1k on 4 new ps2's i dread too think how much they will cost..
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:33 pm »
PS3 for me.

Gutted they aren't doing SS in 17's  :sad1:

Next car will just have to have 18's :party:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 04:45:37 pm »
On my last  vRS

Michelin pilot exaltos-great mileage, low road noise, good dry grip, poor wet grip.

Toyo T1R-Worst tyre ive ever used.  took ages to scrub in and provide grip, up until then it was an understeer nightmare.  I actually thought there must be an issue with my car @ first.

Vredestein Sessantas.  yearsahead of the toyo's in terms of grip, which after only a 92 mile wear in ride to the ring were already giving more grip than the toyo's.

Best tyre ive ever had on a car was the michelin PS2.  excellent @ everything.  However they were alot more expensive then the vredesteins, and i wouldnt have put the vreds that much behind in performance

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 06:30:14 pm »
Best tyre for me is the R888 - for summer ONLY.

The R1R's are better in wet weather and 95% of the grip of the R888's in the dry - again a summer tyre only!

I found that the wear on the R1R's was very good and would easily last 6k miles with just road use and the odd 1/4 mile run.

Pricey though :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=s082qbnt88n5duqqjpm51ad4h9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 06:33:04 pm »
Best tyre for me is the R888 - for summer ONLY.

The R1R's are better in wet weather and 95% of the grip of the R888's in the dry - again a summer tyre only!

I found that the wear on the R1R's was very good and would easily last 6k miles with just road use and the odd 1/4 mile run.

Pricey though :smiley:

Just a bit... 190 odd a corner!  :scared:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 07:12:32 pm »
PS2 for me, not cheap but you can find them for a good price if you shop around.

Have to say i'm very impressed with the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tyres were running on the Mk6, the grip in the wet and ride quality is excellent, very little road noise from them, oh yeah and the braking performance in the snow has to be experienced to be believed :happy2:.  Slight reduction in fuel ecomony due i imagine to the open tread pattern but you can't have everything.
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 07:33:43 pm »

Yeah I know - I've had both R888's and R1R's and they are pricey - but worth it :happy2:

2 sets of  TDPR 1.2 alloys to put them on was a bonus too  :jumpmove:

I'm sure they designed the boot to fit 4 alloys and tyres in.
Golf R gone.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »
PS2 for me, not cheap but you can find them for a good price if you shop around.

Have to say i'm very impressed with the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tyres were running on the Mk6, the grip in the wet and ride quality is excellent, very little road noise from them, oh yeah and the braking performance in the snow has to be experienced to be believed :happy2:.  Slight reduction in fuel ecomony due i imagine to the open tread pattern but you can't have everything.

X2 on the wintrac extreme, they struggle a bit with grip when accelerating and cornering but brake and you won't believe how good they are on snow and ice.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »
found the avon zz5 very good..Next time round i will try the ps3

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:28 pm »
Im shocked at this read, Got the PS2s on and i dont get any grip with them at all in this weather!

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:46 pm »
Im shocked at this read, Got the PS2s on and i dont get any grip with them at all in this weather!

Me neither bloody useless in this weather any thing but bone dry is no good iv found  :ashamed:
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 08:31:07 pm »

Me neither bloody useless in this weather any thing but bone dry is no good iv found  :ashamed:

all i can say to you both, below 7-8 degrees celsius you need wintertyres to drive safely. And they are cheaper than a new front on the  :wink:car

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »
all i can say to you both, below 7-8 degrees celsius you need wintertyres to drive safely. And they are cheaper than a new front on the  :wink:car

Surely it's cheaper to just slow down and be more careful  :confused: :evilgrin:

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 09:40:36 pm »
Im almost at the point of needing some new fronts.  Currently running the Hankook V12 Evo's.  They are good in the wet and dry, but they have worn so fast.  Lasted only 6k on the fronts and the rears are not far behind with maybe 3mm left.

I was thinking of some Conti 3's, PS2's or PS3's.  I recently did a load of work on a new Focus RS which came with Conti 3's.  The grip was amazing in the wet.  Loads more straight line grip with zero wheel spin compared to the vRS.  Cornering speeds were much higher than the vRS too in the wet with the Focus taking a good flick to get any under or oversteer.  It could be the setup of the focus that was doing most of the work, but I drive a sh*t load of different cars and can usually tell if the tyres are crap or not.  What are the Conti's like in the dry?

I always ran R888's on the Ibiza all year round and loved the feel and grip of them, but the fronts would only last a couple of thou.  Crap in standing water, but they still gripped really well in the damp and rain.

As Janner Sy stated, the Toyo t1r's are sh*t.  Feels like you are driving on ice until they eventually scrub in.

My old runabout had some stretched Dunlop SP9000's on which were amazing in the wet, but had too much movement in the dry mainly due to the stretch on them.

After using a X-Bow a few times that had the Dunlop Direzza 03G's fitted I will stay well clear of them.  Scared me how bad they were.  Way too hard and took and age to warm up.  Great if you like to hang the back end out, but the lightest touch of the brakes would lock the wheels.  Same car with R888's or slicks was a great drive.

So with all the mixed opinions its hard for me to come to a conclusion.  Conti 3's, PS2 or PS3's?  Im leaning to the Conti's, but Ive not driven them in the dry.  The Conti 2's in the dry just seemed average with alot of sidewall and block movement.

www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 07:03:43 am »

Surely it's cheaper to just slow down and be more careful  :confused: :evilgrin:

That's the sencible thing to do, like pay ones car insurance (which i understand is a problem in the UK) or always wear a condom during sexual intercourse.
reality is somewhat different. On a really bad winterday Falck (equal to the german ADAC) assists about 5000 people, 90% of those are on summertyres, so even though we know better, we still can't foresee the conditions we will encounter during winter.  :wink: