Make a donation

Author Topic: Could this be the cure for 'knocking/popping/clicking steering noise'?  (Read 28318 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Could this be the cure for 'knocking/popping/clicking steering noise'?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »

Mandy,

If I were in your position, I would pop back to VW with the video from ECS and ask them to have a look at the subframe movement.

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »
i thought there was a steering related recall on the mk5 gti's, something to do with knocking, but maybe im talking sh*te!  :rolleye:

I've heard this too, never been able to work out if this was official or not though. Anyone confirm?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 02:21:41 pm »
i thought there was a steering related recall on the mk5 gti's, something to do with knocking, but maybe im talking sh*te!  :rolleye:

I've heard this too, never been able to work out if this was official or not though. Anyone confirm?

VW replaced the steering racks on the affected cars...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »
Retail Prices are:

Bolt N90823501 - Doesnt come up.

Shim 7M3499349A - £1.65 + vat each

The part numbers are recognised at my local Audi dealer, and I've ordered the parts. When I receive the parts, I'll return and advise if the parts are correct or not.

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:22 am »

VW replaced the steering racks on the affected cars...

Under warranty?

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 04:24:20 pm »
Retail Prices are:

Bolt N90823501 - Doesnt come up.

Shim 7M3499349A - £1.65 + vat each

The part numbers are recognised at my local Audi dealer, and I've ordered the parts. When I receive the parts, I'll return and advise if the parts are correct or not.

I got a feeling the bolts on ECS are just the Audi ones, so I'd guess we could just buy them from an Audi dealer using the above part numbers. Prob work out cheaper than having them sent from the US, less time consuming too.  :smiley:

Be interesting to see if they are the right parts when yours arrive...  :popcornsoda:

Mandy,

If I were in your position, I would pop back to VW with the video from ECS and ask them to have a look at the subframe movement.

Good idea, I don't know if they'd care much, but I might do it just to prove that I wasn't making it up (which they think I was) when I told them I had a steering noise over and over again... :signLOL:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:04 pm »
Reason I ask is that if you have little tread left I.e. less that 2mm and are running on different springs/coilovers it can affect the geometry to such an extent that one of the wheels will crab across the road on hard lock at low speed. So an entirely harmless question I can assure you  :smiley:

This is interesting - at the weekend I drove slowly out of a parking space and heard a clunking noise for the first time ever. I thought "uh oh, what on earth was that" - it did it about 5 more times during the journey. It sounded like it came from the front left hand side somewhere...

I find your statment of interest as I know the tread on my front offside tyre is running a little low, and a couple of months ago I had the front nearside suspension arm replaced with a non VW part. Could this be the reason why the clunking has started? Is it something I can ignore and no harm will come of it?

Cheers

Em

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »
I have collected the parts from my Audi dealer, and they appear to be identical to those shown in the first picture of this thread.

The bolts are apparently A3, and the spacers from a Passat.

For confirmation, the part numbers are:

N 908 235 01 - BOLT
7M3 499 349 A - PLATE

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:00 pm »
The actual spacer is used on all 2011 1.4/2.0 and 3.6 petrol and also 1.6/2.0 diesels cars...and also original used on the Sharan from 2000?

Darren 

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 08:50:48 am »
alackofspeed,

Can you stick the prices up as well for me please?

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 09:13:35 am »
alackofspeed,

Can you stick the prices up as well for me please?

Bolt - £2.09
Plate - £1.65

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:50 am »
http://nateronline.com/Technical_Bulletins/2007.04.02_front_suspension_knocking_noise_ALL.pdf

My car's gone in today for an MOT and DSG service so I've printed a copy of the above Technical Bulletin and taken it to the dealers too.

They told me it's not a bulletin that they recognise (or heard of) on their system, probably because it's from VW America. They told me they will have a look into it anyway and see what could be done.

They also reminded me that my warranty had run out 5 days ago and so might not be honoured  :fighting:. But I pointed out that I raised this issue many times whilst the car was in warranty... Have to wait and see what happens now...  :popcornsoda:

They have ordered me the bolts and spacers, they said the VW part numbers were slightly different to the ones mentioned above but they managed to get them anyway.

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 10:53:18 am »
http://nateronline.com/Technical_Bulletins/2007.04.02_front_suspension_knocking_noise_ALL.pdf

My car's gone in today for an MOT and DSG service so I've printed a copy of the above Technical Bulletin and taken it to the dealers too.

They told me it's not a bulletin that they recognise (or heard of) on their system, probably because it's from VW America. They told me they will have a look into it anyway and see what could be done.

They also reminded me that my warranty had run out 5 days ago and so might not be honoured  :fighting:. But I pointed out that I raised this issue many times whilst the car was in warranty... Have to wait and see what happens now...  :popcornsoda:

They have ordered me the bolts and spacers, they said the VW part numbers were slightly different to the ones mentioned above but they managed to get them anyway.

Good Luck with it  :happy2: Hope the Dealer see's since and does it under warranty  :popcornsoda:

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »
Hopefully the give you some paperwork with the VW part numbers on it to share with us loverly lot  :grin: because i have a VW dealer less than a mile from my work but the closest Audi is over 10 miles away. :sad1: