Make a donation

Author Topic: Interior light power (using it for hardwiring a pogo?)  (Read 4012 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Interior light power (using it for hardwiring a pogo?)
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:39:13 pm »
I am looking at using the power supply from the interior lights to power my pogo alert plus, i don't know if its feasible or just a plain daft idea !, is there anyway of using these plugs without cutting into the cables !, i.e any form of piggy back plug that can be used ?, or do you have a better idea, preferably something that doesn't involve running the cable to far as the cable isnt to long.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:40:57 pm by 182_blue »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
Re: Interior light power (using it for hardwiring a pogo?)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
No ideas folks ?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:53:32 am »
Wouldn't be my first choice mate. Where are you trying to mount the unit?  In the headlining?

Why can't you extend the cable? Does it have a ciggy adaptor?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:12:40 am »
Wouldn't be my first choice mate. Where are you trying to mount the unit?  In the headlining?

Why can't you extend the cable? Does it have a ciggy adaptor?

I am mounting it just above the interior mirror out of the way so it cant be seen, it has a cigarette adapter on it but this can be cut off

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:20:12 am »
it has a cigarette adapter on it but this can be cut off

Be very careful!!!

Make sure the device is 12v and not something less like 5v else all your hard work wiring in will be rewarded with a puff of smoke. Very often piggy adaptors reduce the input voltage.

My choice for power is always from the fuse panel. Reasonably easy to get to that area albeit slight more difficult in your case as it looks like you have a sun roof.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:23:21 am »
I am reliably informed by pogo that its 12v and OK to chop off, i don't really want to be playing about with the fuse panel ! :laugh:

it has a cigarette adapter on it but this can be cut off

Be very careful!!!

Make sure the device is 12v and not something less like 5v else all your hard work wiring in will be rewarded with a puff of smoke. Very often piggy adaptors reduce the input voltage.

My choice for power is always from the fuse panel. Reasonably easy to get to that area albeit slight more difficult in your case as it looks like you have a sun roof.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:35:20 am »
Look on the back of the device for a label which might tell you the input voltage.

Does it come with an ac adaptor, these will normally have an output voltage label.

What's wrong with the fuse panel? Piece of cake to wire into, probably easier than making up a bridging piece to take power from the roof light.

It's a bit like not having a spare socket in your lounge so wiring your TV to the lighting circuit - it's just not the done thing.
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:39:48 am »
This is a Pogo hardwire lead, it's not a straight through, there is definitely something between the 12v supply and the Pogo.

http://www.pogo-gps.co.uk/pogo_alert_Hard_wire_lead.php
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:41:22 am »
Pogo Alert Hard Wire Cable

Specifically designed cable to enable hard wiring, complete with in- line fuse and voltage reducer.

http://www.pogostore.co.uk/accessories.php
Stu...

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:21 am »
Pogo alert plus though  :happy2:, completely different unit

*Edit ,on the back of the unit it says 12v dc only
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:45:52 am by 182_blue »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:14 am »
Hey, it's your money and your device.  :happy2:

Edit - that's ok then.
Stu...

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 10:55:44 am »
Hey, it's your money and your device.  :happy2:

I am not disagreeing as i don't know, i asked about a hardwire kit and they said cut the plug off it will be OK, i did consider the piggy back fuse thingy that Steve uses on the RVC set ups ?