Make a donation

Author Topic: Servicing  (Read 1863 times)

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Servicing
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:06:40 pm »
After looking at the Service book I can see that my car has been on the LL servicing since its first service. I've heard mixed things about the longlife servicing and the fact the car will decide when it needs a service.

I've never been a fan of this and always think a car should be serviced every year or 10,000 miles. How do i go about changing the service plan I'm on?

Also, what is T&D servicing??

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Servicing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:22:54 pm »
I agree with your thoughts on this - at least for cars that don't do more than 10,000 miles per annum.  I had a bad experience with a Passat 1.8T that was on Long Life servicing involving the brakes being worn out with no one picking it up before I bought it as it had been nearly two years between visits to the dealer!

T&D is Time and Distance which for VW is 10,000 or every 12 months - whichever comes first.

I had my dealer switch my GTI over when I booked in with them for it's first service after buying it as I only do 5,000 to 6,000 per annum.  This way, I get to do my MOT at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Steve
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »
I agree with your thoughts on this - at least for cars that don't do more than 10,000 miles per annum.  I had a bad experience with a Passat 1.8T that was on Long Life servicing involving the brakes being worn out with no one picking it up before I bought it as it had been nearly two years between visits to the dealer!

T&D is Time and Distance which for VW is 10,000 or every 12 months - whichever comes first.

I had my dealer switch my GTI over when I booked in with them for it's first service after buying it as I only do 5,000 to 6,000 per annum.  This way, I get to do my MOT at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Steve
........i'm only doing around 6-7 thosand a year & mine is set for T&D. Dead easy for a dealer or anyone on here with the correct gear,in fact if you have the ''full'' highline computer dash can't you change it through that?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »

Hope this helps,

Steve

My thoughts exactly! It's never worth the risk. Thanks for clearing that up anyway, I shall be going to VW shortly for a cambelt service as its overdue, ill ask them to do a basic service and change the car to T&D servicing at the same time.

If someone could confirm if you can do this with highline display that would be great?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:22:16 pm »
If you read the criteria for longlife regime, they include things like not going above 3000rpm, 50 miles per day etc.

No GTI should be on longlife regime. However, longlife oil should be used.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:22:59 am »
Wow, seriously!? I definately want to get off the longlife servicing then!

So, your saying I should still use longlife oil even on T&D?? Wouldnt the same criteria still apply though  :confused:

Or have I not understood it correctly.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:42:36 am »
No. VW stated that all cars should now use longlife oil. The problem is most dealers seem to be ignoring this and use whatever oil they want. I've had to specifically state longlife oil at all of my services.

Have a read of this: clicky

Offline N!CK R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:35:59 am »
Ok so in going to the T&D servicing, all the parts/oils used would be exactly the same, only difference being that my service indicator will more than likely pop up on the dash sooner?

In theory I could just stay on the Longlife servicing if I monitor the intervals myself and got it serviced within every 10,000 miles or every year, whichever is sooner.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:52:53 pm »
...I could just stay on the Longlife servicing....and got it serviced within every 10,000 miles or every year, whichever is sooner.
What?!? If you do what you're planning, then you're on time and distance servicing.