Make a donation

Author Topic: R32/S3/Cupra/R20 Rear Brake info and advice needed  (Read 2884 times)

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
R32/S3/Cupra/R20 Rear Brake info and advice needed
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »
I've just bought some Golf R20 brakes, front and rear complete, these are the same as R32 and S3 set up. Spoke to Midland VW and they've said new handbrake cables are needed (these were not included) as the current ones will have too much play if reused and standard rear dust shields look a mess if 'tweaked'. Is this right? If not, does anyone know a reputable garage that can do the job for me in the midlands, preferably Birmingham?

To the guys who have these fitted, what are your views?  :smiley:

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: R32/S3/Cupra/R20 Rear Brake info and advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »
I've just bought some Golf R20 brakes, front and rear complete, these are the same as R32 and S3 set up. Spoke to Midland VW and they've said new handbrake cables are needed (these were not included) as the current ones will have too much play if reused and standard rear dust shields look a mess if 'tweaked'. Is this right? If not, does anyone know a reputable garage that can do the job for me in the midlands, preferably Birmingham?

To the guys who have these fitted, what are your views?  :smiley:

Handbrake cables can be tightened, I have fitted 3 sets, including my own, and the hand brake cables were fine.

Shields look shyte when tweaked............Not really!

Edit - I was one of the first to find out that S3 rears fitted fine, and I tried S3 shields, and THEY DO NOT FIT!

The standards fit fine..............hacksaw was a remnant of having to cut the standard shield off to try the S3 rear.  The shield is fitted then the stub axle is pressed on, hence having to cut it off!

That is the STD GTi shield looking pretty OEM with S3 310mm disc, if you ask me!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:12:03 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »
That looks great Stoke.  :happy2: Any ideas where I can get mine done just the way you have it there?

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »
100%  Stokeballoon is right. Have fitted front and rears to mine and you can use the original handbrake cables and standard dust shields. The dust shields just need bending slightly away from the discs  :wink:

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:22:51 pm »
Do it yourself?  I live in Somerset, so not sure around your neck of the woods!

Lines and pads are the same for S3/R32 rears and Gti variants.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »
I'm in Birmingham. Wish I could do it myself!  :scared:  :signLOL: