Make a donation

Author Topic: Help needed, misfire when pulling hard in 4th  (Read 2987 times)

csman

Help needed, misfire when pulling hard in 4th
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:38:15 pm »
Hi All,

Need some help or a pointer where to look.  I have noticed on a couple of occasions in the last week that my Ed 30 Bluefin stage 1 is misfireing / slightly losing power but only under full throttle in 4th :scared:.  You can just feel a few stutters all the way through the rev range above 2500 RPM.

Any ideas is something simple could be causing this or is it a trib to the stealers?  I guess I could load the standard map and see if all is OK and if not take it in to VW as it is still warrantied.

Thanks in advance,

csman

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Re: Help needed, misfire when pulling hard in 4th
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:16:48 pm »
Sounds like a typical coil pack on it's way out..... Very very common issue with these cars  :happy2:
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:44:05 am »
Mine does this as well - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23872.0.html

Does yours go something like this?

csman

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:36:49 am »
Thanks for the resoponses.  Although the behavior is similar to the video it is nowhere near as bad.  Coil packs seem like it might be the problem so thanks for the suggestion.  I had these go on a 911 (also a common failure point on 996 and 997's) and now thinking through it the early failure behaviour was not dissimilar.  Got a lot worse and felt that it was running on half its cylinders.

As the problem is intermittent at the moment I think I will keep driving it until it becomes more regular as if a dealer takes it for a test drive at the moment it will probably run perfectly!

Thanks and any more suggestions welcome.

csman

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:55:28 am »
Could also be spark plugs.

I had a similar problem recently. Replaced the coil packs and still had the issue. So replaced the plugs and it was cured :happy2:

Offline big_stu_86

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:59:47 pm »
same as carl i had the same issues more than once replaced the coil packs 1st due the milage, but fault was randomley still happening, replaced all spark plugs and she is runnning sweet again!!!! :happy2:
k04, intake, downpipe, kmd hpfp, app dv spacer, revo stage 3, ed 30 rear lights, coilovers custom 3" downpipe. to do - s3 ic, ed30 splitters and miltek catback.

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:34 pm »
Had the same problem recently also. I changed the plugs and it cured it. I was using Bosch super. They are not very good for a tuned Ko4 running 1.55 bar. When i took them out the middle part of the plugs were bent  :signLOL: The NGK Iridium's are very good.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:30:50 am »
Incidentally my plugs that were knackered were the NGK Iridium ones.

I just stuck OEM ones back in and i have a spare set of new NGK just incase :happy2:

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:00 am »
Had the exact same problem with mine, was fine in stock mode on the revo controller but as soon as i put it back into the remap it stuttered.
Turned out to be spark plugs.

csman

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:52:59 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciated :happy2:

I just did a 450 mile round trip up north and tried several time hauling through the rev range in 4th, 5th and 6th (where conditions allowed :innocent:)
The car didn't miss a beat so a bit confused now :confused:

I wonder if it could have been a bad batch of vpower?  Anyway, if I have problems again at least I know where to start (plugs, coil packs..) and good news that hopefully it is nothing too serious.

Thanks again.

csman

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 12:11:34 am »
When my plugs were faulty and i drove the car hard it would never missfire. it would missfire if i drove the car sedate for a few miles and then missfire when driven hard which would gradually disappear.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:10:45 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciated :happy2:

I just did a 450 mile round trip up north and tried several time hauling through the rev range in 4th, 5th and 6th (where conditions allowed :innocent:)
The car didn't miss a beat so a bit confused now :confused:

I wonder if it could have been a bad batch of vpower?  Anyway, if I have problems again at least I know where to start (plugs, coil packs..) and good news that hopefully it is nothing too serious.

Thanks again.

csman

If i were you i would try and tie down the problem quickly. If your coilpack/plug goes and your doing a 450 mile round trip thats a lot of fuel your going to dump in the CAT. A new cat will be a fair bit more expensive than a set of plugs or coils :smiley:

csman

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:33:23 am »

If i were you i would try and tie down the problem quickly. If your coilpack/plug goes and your doing a 450 mile round trip thats a lot of fuel your going to dump in the CAT. A new cat will be a fair bit more expensive than a set of plugs or coils :smiley:

Trouble is it didn't miss a beat on the trip (or on the way to work this morning) and seems to run perfectly.  I am not one for delaying fixing a problem as this as you say is usually a false economy, but at the moment I just don't know whether I have a problem or not  :confused:

If there is any signs of it reoccuring I'll be straight onto swaping these components...no fear!

Thanks

csman

csman

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 09:33:00 pm »
Latest update.  Experienced misfiring again! 

I replaced the spark plugs today with standard OEM VW part and intial test drive suggest that the car is driving better than ever, but too early to tell if this has fixed the problem permanantly as it was intermittent. 

Unfortunately I cracked a bit of the engine cover when removing it in the cold so does anyone have any idea how much replacement costs?  Crack is not a major issue but I like everything 100%!

Cheers,

csman

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:52 pm »
New engine cover is circa £150 as it has the airbox built in.

Expensive for a bit of plastic I know.  :sad1: