Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS-510 and voice control ?  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
RNS-510 and voice control ?
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:09:20 pm »
Chaps and lasses,

I know i'm getting a little ahead of myself, but as you may or may not know, the Golf is going in a couple of months for a brand new Scirocco DSG. I do have some questions about the RNS that's currently fitted in the Golf.

It's a Rev B unit running Firmware 1300 (to avoid battery drain on my older Can Gateway) and with the latest V7 Maps. I'm going to remove it from the Golf and drop it in the Rocco (in place of the standard RCD510). My questions are thus:

Will the 1300 Firmware work OK on a 2011MY Rocco, or will I need to upgrade it to the latest "proper" firmware that the B units support ?

The Rocco comes with 2 Zone climate control so was wondering if the controls will automatically display on the RNS or would I need to do any coding ?

I've ordered the Rocco with the factory bluetooth solution, which I am assured 100% by the dealer will work perfectly on my Iphone 3GS on the bluetooth HFP profile. That being the case, as it it means there would obviously be a microphone overhead, would the voice activation of the RNS work straight out of the box using the MFSW's "Voice" button (new style MK6 chrome MFSW), or is there additional hardware to install and/or firmware updates for the RNS ?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I want to make sure that I have everything in place (purchased) before the car arrives. I assume to get all the above the RNS doesn't have to be a latest C version LED unit ?

Cheers

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:12:00 pm by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: RNS-510 and voice control ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »
The RNS wil recoding to enable the BAP protocol used on the newer White dot displays.

I would probably update it to 2760 firmware if it was mine.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:25:37 pm »
Great choice Andrew, 

The 1300 firmware doesn't support voice control but seen has you know the RNS510 that you have will take a firmware update without any problems do has Steve said and update it to the 2720.

Your Roc will have all the new modules and will not suffer the battery drain.

Darren

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »
Good choice Andrew  :happy2:

I see youve specced it up, does that mean no more modding??   :driver:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »

I see youve specced it up, does that mean no more modding??   :driver:

Of course Lee  :evilgrin:

Already planning, needle sweep on start up, static cornering lights, Alloy kick panels on the sills, Piano Black centre trim, twin fog lamps, Rear View Camera, LED Drls (to replace the standard sidelight indicator unit).............

Yeah, no more modding for me  :grin:

Ps

Thanks for the info Steve and Lee. I'll be back to you both nearer the time for any more advise  :happy2:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:32:45 pm »
You don't need a C revision for it all to work

Most has been said but to reiterate

Load 276X firmware on it.

Ensure it is recoded with BAP and also ensure that Voice Control is coded.

The Climate display should come on the screen as this is all linked through the new module which is linked in via the CAN.  :happy2:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:38:10 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »
Thanks Carl  :happy2:

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:50:28 am »
Chaps, one more question (please).....

Although I absolutely love my RNS, the only thing that bothers me about it is the start up time. Usually if I'm on Radio or Media, I'll get sound within a couple of seconds, but it can then take 30-40 seconds before the unit is fully booted up, to be able to change to another source (I've never timed this so I could be exaggerating, but it does take quite a few seconds). If I hit another source during boot up, I get a big red screen saying something like "starting up", and when the unit has finished booting this goes away and the regular screen (be it Radio, CD, Nav, MDI etc) comes up.

Are the later "C" versions or the newer LED versions any quicker, and / or is it firmware related or something to do with my old rev E can gateway not seeing it properly, and is it likely to be any quicker in the new Rocco with the 2760 firmware ?

Cheers

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:54:02 am by Norbreck21a »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:08:56 am »
It is a combination of Firmware, Unit version and the Can-Gateway.

Generally C - Revisions (in my experience) will start up from cold within about 10-15secs. Both my A versions used to do what you describe however with 276X Firmware they are a lot better and generally take around 20 secs to start up. It is perfectly normal just consider it a computer that is starting up. Generally Media & Radio will work pretty quickly it's only Navigation & setup menu that take time to display.

The Gateway also helps. I installed 276X on a car for someone. That sped his unit up a bit. However he got battery drain so we replaced his Gateway to an AD revision and that brought it down to around 20 secs. :happy2:

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:09:14 pm »
Ahh, thanks Carl. So the combination of having a brand new CAN Gateway in the new Rocco and updating the firmware on the RNS to the 267x version, should help matters and shave a few seconds off.

Just don't think that for a few extra seconds cut off the boot time, it's worrth upgrading to a C version, as apart from the latest versions with a slightly better LED screen, I am right in assuming that both a B or C unit running the same firmware have identical functionality ?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:34:25 pm »
Yup the only difference of note is the LED screen :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:51:11 pm »
I miss my RNS :(

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »
Jay, when I've dropped it in the Roccco, I'll have it detailed by you and you can then reacquaint yourself  :grin:

(BTW, it's not missing you at all  :booty:)

Andrew

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 04:21:45 pm »
it is missing you! its sick of playing queen and Phil Collins!  :P

Ill look forward to seeing the Rocco! ;)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:08 pm »
Don't forget the 70's glamrock, 80's Electric, classical etc. (I really like to torture the unit)  :P

Yeah, would like to get a detail done on the Rocco as soon after delivery as possible. Any chance you could PM me with some prices & aprrox how long you would need it for Jay ?