Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone running Stg 2 with a panel filter instead of CAI?  (Read 5745 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Anyone running Stg 2 with a panel filter instead of CAI?
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:22:02 pm »
as above, a few mechanics i have spoken to over the years have nothing good to say about CAI's and some reckon you are better off staying with the factory box. certainly, when i took my k&n 57i off my old mk 3 8v it ran better without it!

i presume that if doing this on stg 2 your peak power and torque will be affected but just wondering if there are also genuine gains from staying away from a CAI kit eg no hot air drawn to it from the engine, no muck, dead flies etc  clogging it up? 

if put downpipe and full tbe along with bigger intercooler and panel filter will i really notice lack of CAI?

ta

Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Anyone running Stg 2 with a panel filter instead of CAI?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:40:25 pm »
I ran Revo2 with only a Carbonio and ITG panel filter for some time. Changing to a Forge Twintake immediately added about 18bhp according to back-to-back dyno testing. We (JKM) changed the Revo settings accordingly as I run a stock fuel pump.

I see no reason to stay away from a good CAI for the reasons you're suggesting. The engine cover box with panel filter will probably (no scientific evidence I can offer) get just as hot. All filters keep out debris etc.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:43:02 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:25:57 pm »
I ran Revo2 with only a Carbonio and ITG panel filter for some time. Changing to a Forge Twintake immediately added about 18bhp according to back-to-back dyno testing. We (JKM) changed the Revo settings accordingly as I run a stock fuel pump.

I see no reason to stay away from a good CAI for the reasons you're suggesting. The engine cover box with panel filter will probably (no scientific evidence I can offer) get just as hot. All filters keep out debris etc.

ok cheers robin i think i will speak to JKM and BDM as think i may fancy a trip down south to get my stage 2 doen, then can enjoy the drive home  :popcornsoda:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »
^^^^
I don't know how far north you are but PDT, for example, might be closer and they are reportedly very good indeed and would advise you well I think.

I don't know BDM personally but can highly recommend JKM in Portsmouth as many others here can too.  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:28:50 pm »
you mechanics are very likely referring to a N/A engine when they say a good CAI doesnt help.  On a turbo car the gains a very large.  You could spend £2000 on a N/A engine and get less gains than a £250 CAI on a turbo'd car

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »
^^^^
Very good point, Sy. Assumed we were talking about turbo'd cars.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »
I ran stage 2 on my Ed 30 with the standard airbox and filter. No problems.

The map will only use the amount of air it sees. If you add a CAI then it moves it's values to match.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:09 pm »
iirc vRStu used the stock intake with stage 2+ with no issues.  obviously performance will take a small kit, but it will still work 100% fine

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:17:45 pm »
iirc vRStu used the stock intake with stage 2+ with no issues.  obviously performance will take a small kit, but it will still work 100% fine

Not to my knowledge.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:19:26 pm »

Not to my knowledge.

it was someone with a stage2+ S3 though. 

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »
I think it was Gazbut

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »
I have just has Stage 2 Revo fitted with panel filter, forge DV and full Miltek. Seems very sweet  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »
For a long time VWR ran their K04 demo Mk5 GTI (not Ed30) with a flat panel filter. It didn't seem to slow it down! It was Superchips tuned but I think custom rather than a standard retail 'stage2'.

Though completely functional with a stock box and a good falte panel, there's no doubt that a 'filter-on-a-stick' will increase performance further if that's what you want.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 07:12:25 pm »
My ed30 is on standard intake and stage2. Probably some power to be gained from an intake but im working on my own one at present.

I dyno'd a stg2+ the other day with an original airbox, made 352hp, another stg2+ with a twintake made the same power just 2 days earlier. Nothing conclusive, but back to back testing on the same engine would be interesting, watch this space.....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »
My ed30 is on standard intake and stage2. Probably some power to be gained from an intake but im working on my own one at present.

I dyno'd a stg2+ the other day with an original airbox, made 352hp, another stg2+ with a twintake made the same power just 2 days earlier. Nothing conclusive, but back to back testing on the same engine would be interesting, watch this space.....

....I did back-to-back testing on my car (K03 GTI, Revo2) on same dyno same day with Carbonio+ITG panel filter and Forge Twintake and increased bhp by about 15 bhp IIRC.