Make a donation

Author Topic: Coilpack question  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Scotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Coilpack question
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 09:18:01 am »
Just off the phone to my local dealer and he said that there wasn't a recall as such (probably talking out of his backside) but coilpacks are usually replaced FOC (goodwill) for those cars with a full main dealer service history.  My car has a main dealer service history (5 years worth) apart from the last one which I did at an independent (it was cambelt/water pump) - so it doesn't apply to me (I was told). I did point out to the dealer that the lack of goodwill shown will certainly prevent me from using a main dealer again.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 02:57:25 pm »
without any respect to your dealer he is talking out of his exhaust pipe, my GTI has been serviced by that well known indie - ME - for the last two years, when it went in for the cambelt and water pump change (they did me the best price in the local area and its a BIG job) they highlighted to me that there was a recall on the coil packs, mine was running fine, but they said that they would replace them FOC, and mine is an import (RHD) from sweden, I did register it on the vag Uk system when it came in though, for just this type of eventuality, not sure where you are but I would try a few other dealer, worth it if you get for free, oh and mine is an 05 build car, on a 55 plate. Oh and its done 105k miles, if relevant. Good luck, sounds like you need to use a new dealer, luckily we have three different ones within 20 miles of where I live!

Offline Scotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 04:43:20 pm »
Thanks for the advice - yep, I'll try another few dealers up here!

Offline Scotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 03:23:48 pm »
No joy on the dealer front - but the coilpacks I ordered from the US finally arrived this morning (£80 all in delivered) - so fitted the packs myself this afternoon - very easy job as explained earlier in this thread - thanks to everyone for their advice.

Only slight problem was after I took the engine cover off it appears that the two rubber stoppers (that hold it in) next to windscreen side are buggered - one missing and the other has torn (must have happened when I lifted the cover off) - so now the cover is only being held down by the front two and where the turbo inlet hose is at the top right. Doesn't feel that loose - but could that cause any issues - it not being tightly held down by the two missing stoppers?

Btw - hesitation issues are all gone - so thankfully was the coilpacks afterall!

Cheers
Richard.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 05:08:58 pm »
I think there can be issues if the cover is knocking against the sensor on top of the HPFP.  I'm pretty sure that someone posted theirs was loose and it subsequently broke the sensor.

Also the two rubber stoppers at the back of the cover form a seal into the air filter housing.  Without them unfiltered / unmetered air can enter the engine.  No biggie for a short time but don't leave it like that for long.  Only a couple of quid from the dealer - there is a post today on these stoppers and there is a link in that thread with the p/n.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Scotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 05:26:59 pm »
I think there can be issues if the cover is knocking against the sensor on top of the HPFP.  I'm pretty sure that someone posted theirs was loose and it subsequently broke the sensor.

Also the two rubber stoppers at the back of the cover form a seal into the air filter housing.  Without them unfiltered / unmetered air can enter the engine.  No biggie for a short time but don't leave it like that for long.  Only a couple of quid from the dealer - there is a post today on these stoppers and there is a link in that thread with the p/n.

:happy2: thanks -  just ordered three from the local dealer - will be in stock on Friday. £2.80 each.

Cheers
Richard.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:34:49 pm by Scotsman »